“Beautiful location and good food with excellent choices”

Island Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #388 of 630 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$33 - US$46
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on an island and accessed from the historic Caversham Bridge, the spectacular newly built Island Bar and Restaurant enjoys uninterrupted views of the River Thames.Floor-to-ceiling windows run the length and the sides of the restaurant and the bar and offer a beautiful view of the river. In fine weather the folding windows are opened and both the bar and the restaurant extends out onto the extensive terraces.The modern, relaxed and comfortable ambience creates the perfect settings for both business and pleasure.Creative Cuisine combined with exceptional service will give you the ultimate dining experience.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went for a meal for my mums birthday rather apprehensively after reading a damning report in GET READING newspaper and to be honest had I not paid a deposit which we would have lost we probably wouldn't have gone ! However I called the manager who assured me I could see his kitchen whenever I wanted to and the report had actually said under the screaming headline that it " does not reflect the quality of the food or standards of service " and he assured me my mum would have a nice birthday meal ! ... So off we went , and we were so glad we did as the food was really nice and the setting was beautiful we looked out on the river and the bonus of the sun shining whilst we tucked into moules mariniere , rib eye steaks , salmon , sea bass , lamb steaks and crispy duck salads amongst sone of our choices was brilliant ! Don't believe all you read in the papers I guess because had it been terrible surely they would have shut it down ? Anyway none of us suffered any after effects ( apart from the gin and wine lol ! ) and we will definitely go back for more !

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just went for a drink, and sat in the sunshine, really lovely setting. We didn't eat, but other people were, and the food looked very nice indeed.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I went with 2 girlfriends and it was perfect. Perfect, service, food, ambience. Just surprised at how quiet it was. Fabulous location. Would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A friend and I went here for a drink - first off there is a ten pound charge for any card payments - not good. Second the staff are poorly trained, and there were few (i.e. one in attendance) who struggled to fufil a simple order. THe polace was quiet given the location it should have been busy, those that were in were clearly quite drunk. I would say this hte pricing was okay - so much potential and so under utilised... dissapointing

1  Thank Faceyreviews
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This place is absolutely awful in every way. It is highly expensive for a distinctly average (if you're lucky) and more likely to be a very poor experience. The staff are rude and lazy, I expect (and know from an inside source) that this is because they are being paid below minimum wage to work ridiculously long hours. The toilets are always out of order and dirty. Just do not go!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Jessica N