“A true taste of the backstreets of Calcutta!”

ibis Styles Reading Centre
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“A true taste of the backstreets of Calcutta!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Where do I start?? Firstly as soon as you walk through the doors your greeted by the smell of spices and curry! This smell continues to intensify as the evening goes on making its peak at around 2am! I hear you ask why?? Because the hotel is situated on top of a curry house that is owned by the hotel and uses this as its bar area! It's buzzing! If Yankee Candles made a curry smelling Candle, they would call it the Quality Inn Reading! The room was heavily stained everywhere, even in personal places! The chair in the room had more stains than fabric. The windows never opened and the room had no air conditioning, which meant you couldn't even get fresh air to rid the smell of curry! There was damp on the window sills, and damp in the bathroom. Quite frankly I wouldn't let my dog stay here.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Wales
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The hotel stinks of curry in corridors and rooms! You'd swear you were in the middle east with the smell and heat of the rooms it makes your feel sick and your clothes smell!

The rooms are very dirty and old fashioned needs a complete renovation or just demolish the place. There were stains just everywhere and mold on walls, chairs even ceilings!

To be frank the staff don't care and a rude!

Stay well clear I wouldn't let my dog stay here!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank WalesCityBreaker

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Oldbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Lets start with the good, prime location in reading for all the amenities. Room was quite nice and the price was reasonable, but the hotel and our room smelt so bad of curry, really really smelt, even much so in the shower the following morning.
Breakfast was stone cold, no burners under the food, bit poor to be honest.
I know its a city centre hotel but the car park is so, so small, get there early. Only silver lining was we were 5 mins from the shops and the bed was comfy.
If you wanna stay here take something to put on your nose, unless you like the smell of curry in your nasal passages 24/7.

• Stayed June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was a guys racing trip with two rooms booked.
Positives - free car park, central location and cheap.
Negatives - 1) Bar not open at 11.00pm when we returned to hotel. 2) My twin room a little run down but would have been acceptable but when I went to flush toilet - no water in cistern, and looked to have been dry for some time, moved to much nicer room (although damp on bathroom ceiling). 3) Only one hand towel and one bath towel between the two of us, rang down for more and they brought them up quite quickly but hand towel was actually bath mat! 4) Next morning tried turning TV on and no signal. 5) Friends in triple room rang us at 8.30am to say they had turned on shower and water was brown, they let it run for a long time (until it filled bath) and it was still discoloured!!
Time to go - we all dressed and had checked out by 9.00am, I think its fair to say we didn't expect a lot but certainly expected functional services.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading. I will look into your comments and get back to you. Please send me your contact details so i can come back to you.

Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute for a business trip, my company usually use the Majestic but it was fully booked due to a big football match being on In reading. Was quite worried about what the hotel would be like when no one had heard of it.
Reception has been recently refurbished and was clam looking. When we checked in we were told that we had been upgraded to a suite! Only down side of the hotel is the stairs needed a lift carting my laptop and case up two flights of stairs. When I got to the suite I was very happy the room was decorated lovely, clean and very big. We had our even meal in the restaurant the Indian and my work colleague loved the Lamb rogan josh and said it was the best one she'd ever tasted. Breakfast in the morning was lovely though I didn't do the full english.
All in all was very happy and if I go back to reading will definetly be using again

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Welshy1985
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading and that you enjoyed the foon in the Royal Tandoori.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Having made the simple mistake of booking the wrong day on out company booking system 1 day out (choosing the day i was booking rather than the next day), I was appalled that the quality hotel would not refund the previous day booked late st night so too late to apply a cancellation policy to...even though I turned up to day the next day...inhospitable and rubbish!

There is a curry house down stairs...seated at 21.30 order taken at 21.55...10 minutes on...still waiting for the poppadums!!

This is crap!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Shoodybong
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback and i will look into your comments feel free to contact me on stuart@georgehotelreading.com to discuss further.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I had to book at the last minute after a meeting in London. The staff were really helpful as I struggled with a bad mobile signal on the train. The hotel is 5 minutes from the station. Recent refurbishment of lobby made me feel welcome. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and there was already an iron and ironing board saving me the bother of having to ask for one.
The Royal Tandoori restaurant is attached to the hotel and is one of the best Indian restaurants I have been to. Breakfast in the morning was good and the service was thoughtful and low key. All told, this hotel is excellent value and right in the heart of Readinjg close to The Oracle and train station. I understand they also have parking. I'll be back, as I visit Reading on business frequently.

Room Tip: With such good value, go for a double.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. They are much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.