“Doesn't really deserve all the bad reviews”

ibis Styles Reading Centre
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Doesn't really deserve all the bad reviews”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here overnight after landing in London and taking the bus to Reading before taking a train the next morning. Then we stayed again a week later when heading back to Heathrow. My Dad and I thought the staff were lovely, and very attentive. The Indian restaurant in the hotel is fantastic - best lamb curry either one of us have ever had. The service in the restaurant is also amazing. Both nights we stayed and ate there, the restaurant completely sold out. The hotel was also sold out one of the nights.

The hotel rooms are spacious and clean. I didn't see any mold. I also didn't think the rooms smelled like curry. My only complaint would be that the hotel is very old and the pipes are not perfect. My Dad's room was very hot on our first night there. Mine was just fine. Then on our return trip, we both had hot rooms. Not because of the weather! It rained all day and was chilly. It is because the pipes are so hot. You could put your hand on the cold water faucets and they were scalding hot. I was worried about taking a shower in the morning, but once I ran the water for a couple of minutes, it did turn cold. The water in the toilet was also scalding hot.

Not enough cons to ruin my stay. I quite liked the hotel, and the staff, and the location is perfect. There are shops and lots of restaurants just a short walk through the alley behind the hotel. There is also a great little used record store directly across the street from the hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. They are much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stuart Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Where do I start?? Firstly as soon as you walk through the doors your greeted by the smell of spices and curry! This smell continues to intensify as the evening goes on making its peak at around 2am! I hear you ask why?? Because the hotel is situated on top of a curry house that is owned by the hotel and uses this as its bar area! It's buzzing! If Yankee Candles made a curry smelling Candle, they would call it the Quality Inn Reading! The room was heavily stained everywhere, even in personal places! The chair in the room had more stains than fabric. The windows never opened and the room had no air conditioning, which meant you couldn't even get fresh air to rid the smell of curry! There was damp on the window sills, and damp in the bathroom. Quite frankly I wouldn't let my dog stay here.

• Stayed July 2012

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Wales
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The hotel stinks of curry in corridors and rooms! You'd swear you were in the middle east with the smell and heat of the rooms it makes your feel sick and your clothes smell!

The rooms are very dirty and old fashioned needs a complete renovation or just demolish the place. There were stains just everywhere and mold on walls, chairs even ceilings!

To be frank the staff don't care and a rude!

Stay well clear I wouldn't let my dog stay here!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank WalesCityBreaker
Oldbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Lets start with the good, prime location in reading for all the amenities. Room was quite nice and the price was reasonable, but the hotel and our room smelt so bad of curry, really really smelt, even much so in the shower the following morning.
Breakfast was stone cold, no burners under the food, bit poor to be honest.
I know its a city centre hotel but the car park is so, so small, get there early. Only silver lining was we were 5 mins from the shops and the bed was comfy.
If you wanna stay here take something to put on your nose, unless you like the smell of curry in your nasal passages 24/7.

• Stayed June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was a guys racing trip with two rooms booked.
Positives - free car park, central location and cheap.
Negatives - 1) Bar not open at 11.00pm when we returned to hotel. 2) My twin room a little run down but would have been acceptable but when I went to flush toilet - no water in cistern, and looked to have been dry for some time, moved to much nicer room (although damp on bathroom ceiling). 3) Only one hand towel and one bath towel between the two of us, rang down for more and they brought them up quite quickly but hand towel was actually bath mat! 4) Next morning tried turning TV on and no signal. 5) Friends in triple room rang us at 8.30am to say they had turned on shower and water was brown, they let it run for a long time (until it filled bath) and it was still discoloured!!
Time to go - we all dressed and had checked out by 9.00am, I think its fair to say we didn't expect a lot but certainly expected functional services.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading. I will look into your comments and get back to you. Please send me your contact details so i can come back to you.

Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute for a business trip, my company usually use the Majestic but it was fully booked due to a big football match being on In reading. Was quite worried about what the hotel would be like when no one had heard of it.
Reception has been recently refurbished and was clam looking. When we checked in we were told that we had been upgraded to a suite! Only down side of the hotel is the stairs needed a lift carting my laptop and case up two flights of stairs. When I got to the suite I was very happy the room was decorated lovely, clean and very big. We had our even meal in the restaurant the Indian and my work colleague loved the Lamb rogan josh and said it was the best one she'd ever tasted. Breakfast in the morning was lovely though I didn't do the full english.
All in all was very happy and if I go back to reading will definetly be using again

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Welshy1985
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading and that you enjoyed the foon in the Royal Tandoori.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Having made the simple mistake of booking the wrong day on out company booking system 1 day out (choosing the day i was booking rather than the next day), I was appalled that the quality hotel would not refund the previous day booked late st night so too late to apply a cancellation policy to...even though I turned up to day the next day...inhospitable and rubbish!

There is a curry house down stairs...seated at 21.30 order taken at 21.55...10 minutes on...still waiting for the poppadums!!

This is crap!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Shoodybong
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback and i will look into your comments feel free to contact me on stuart@georgehotelreading.com to discuss further.