“Needs some love”

ibis Styles Reading Centre
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here on business and have stayed in several Quality hotels without issue unfortunately this one was more 'interesting'.

The car park is very snug and was not fun to park in. Staff were very helpful and friendly and offered to carry my bag but as I was on the first floor I carried it myself. The room had two beds and was quite small. Everything was clean but the room certainly needs some attention. The television was wall mounted with the wires all hanging down underneath, the curtains had broken hooks so hung off a little. The sash window opened and I had a great view of a wall just a few feet away which made the room very dark.

The bed was comfortable and I slept well. I found the shower challenging, although that could have been just me - I got it going ok and the pressure was good but I just could not figure out how to turn it off and ended up having to ring reception. A friendly young man arrived within a couple of minutes and turned it off.

I didn't try the breakfast so can't comment on that. Getting out of the car park wasn't as hairy as I had feared but I think that was because I left quite early.

Overall, it did the job but I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't stay again. No issue with the staff, cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SandyHoyland
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading and i am sorry that you were disappointed with your room. The hotel is in the middle of refurbishment. I was pleased to read thst you found the staff to be friendly and helpfull.

There are newer reviews for ibis Styles Reading Centre

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First impressions were not great. The whole front facade of the hotel was obscured by scaffolding and plastic sheeting. Also, had not realised when making the booking that the hotel was situated above an Indian Restaurant. My room was on the 2nd floor and there was no lift. So not too happy about that. Another disappointment was that WiFi was not included in the price of the room and would have been an extra five UK Pounds per day.

However, my heavy case was brought up to my room within a few minutes and I was pleased to find that, as requested, I had been given a room with a bath and not just a shower. Having paid a small surcharge for a double room for single occupancy I was also pleased to find that I had a kingsized bed.

The room was slightly shabby but very clean, as was the bathroom. Another plus from my point of view was that one of the sash windows opened, and as it was a rare hot summer day that was good.

Breakfast had been included in the room price and was a lot better than the continental breakfast I had been expecting. A full English breakfast was on offer and I was even able to order poached eggs instead of fried. It was all very well cooked and served by a smiling Indian waiter. It transpired that the Indian restaurant was actually the hotel dining room, although used as an indian restaurant at other times.

Until relatively recently the hotel was the old "Ship Inn", one of Reading's oldest coaching Hostelries, which would explain the labyrinthian maze of rooms. Apparently the hotel is currently a member of the American Quality Hotels chain, but is soon to be rebranded, and the scaffolding on the facade was because the old windows were being replaced.

I was only there for one night, en route back home to Australia via Heathrow the following day. It suited me fine for one nights stay. it was also very handy for meeting friends in one of the restaurants in the Riverside area of Reading's Oracle Shopping Complex, the hotel being a mere 5 minute walk away. It was also well placed for the train station and Rail/Air bus. All the hotel staff I came across were Indian and very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading. I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and will pass on your comments.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

A last minute booking as we fancied a weekend away. Very welcoming receptionist, everything was very clean and tidy. Room was nice and comfortable. Lovely breakfast. Would definately stay here again. Great location near to the shops, pubs and restaurants and the bonus of free parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading and i look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We got a room above the Curry Restaurant and having looked at other reviews expected a noisy stay, maybe we were lucky, but a Saturday night and no undue noise! Our room was a very good size, the only downside was that it was too hot and that's with the radiator off.
Worth it if you can get a "late" bargain.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Quality Hotel in Reading. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments regarding the heat in your room.
Look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

So I'm here on business, so I have to be here. Checking in was easy, and because I left my workplace early, I checked in early, which was good. The walk to my room on the 2nd floor was not luggage friendly as there was no lift, meaning I had to carry it to the second floor. Ok so the building is old and so I can forgive that, but if I had a bit to carry it would have been difficult. The room itself was surprisingly small. Comfortable, even homely. I resigned myself to the fact that this was at the cheaper end and so I could forgive it's interesting quirks. It was at that point that I realised that I would struggle to like the place. Little annoyances started to appear. A curtail rail had been broken. There was paint peeling off the skirting. There were marks in the bathroom that told me it was in need of a redecoration. The bedside lights didn't work. The tea from the little comfort tray tasted old and stale. All not good.
On the up side though, the bed is warm and comfy. I have yet to try the shower, but there is two sets of towels.
So, what can I say. Would I stay here again? No. Would I recommend the place. No. There are several other hotels to stay at within walking distance for the same price that does not suffer the same issues. It needs a revamp, or a relaunch, or a revisit of its fees. I am just glad that the business paid and not me.

Room Tip: Find one off the road, or better still, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank albi_the_cat
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback, during your recent stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading.

Sorry to hear that you were disapointed with your stay and i will look into the comments you have made.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

From the strong smell of paint in the bathroom to the bare live wires sticking out of the wall, this place was truly a marvel. The lift-less, bright reception with sullen staff, the wondrous winding corridors to your small, strangely-shaped room containing an old storage heater and an electric fan (for all types of weather). The view from our window was a particularly spectacular: a fire escape, two flat rooms and far down below a fast-flowing river made this hotel a parkour paradise. For the exhibitionist, the bathroom door could not be shut whilst someone was sitting on the toilet, giving a certain intimacy with your travel companion that no other hotel could offer. Combined with a plug socket on it's side, a backwards switch and the aforementioned live wires, this place had everything a thrill seeker could wish for. I would say you get what you pay for with this hotel but really, you get so much more. Although, if you are looking for something comforting that would give a good night's sleep, I would say in all seriousness, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading. I have noted your comments and will look into them.
Regarding the picture this is a Tv areal lead.
Should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Appreciating the location is good and price relatively cheap, I wish I'd paid more and stayed at a nicer hotel. The room I stayed in 305 is in need of modernisation and smells of stale cigarette smoke. Sound proofing does not work at all as there was a bird on the roof crying out all night that kept us awake. Shower head needs cleaning & plug hole needs unblocking. Very disappointed with stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments which i will personaly be looking into.
The hotel is going through a refurbishment programme at the moment.
Should you wish to discuss anything please do not hesitate to contact me