“great stay”

Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hotel is in an ideal location, 10 min walk for town centre to shops bars and restaurants. Rooms very clean and tidy, also have microwave and fridge if you wanted to bring food in. Bar very comfortable with a good atmosphere and staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome. will be staying there again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

I am so glad you had a GREAT STAY, did you take the details of our priority club? when you book through our website using PCLUB booking code there are extra savings and a free gift when you arrive. Come back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I've stayed at the Hillingdon Prince Hotel a few times and have always been impressed by the good value for money, cleanliness of the rooms and the friendly atmosphere. The staff are welcoming and the hotel is in close walking distance to both the centre of Reading and the University. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lauro E

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel it is greatly apreciated and I am glad to hear you had a good stay. Do you know you can follow us on FACEBOOK? take a look we post lots of offers and information on there.
My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

This was a brilliant stay, the staff were so friendly and would go out of their way to help you out! They supply a small kitchen in your room which was very helpful as me and my girlfriend could just pop down the shops to get some food to cook. Was a fantastic stay with a friendly, cosy room. I strongly recommend the HP, it's close to town, the staff are great and the rooms are cosy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

i have stayed in this hotel and its great i would recommend it to anyone as the prices are great and the staff are great and the food is tastey and the rooms are always tidy

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2012

As a group of technicians working through the night in Reading we needed somewhere to sleep from 5am before returning to site at 6pm next evening, believe me its not easy to find hotels that are happy to accommodate the unusual! The staff at Hillingdon Prince responded promptly to our enquiry as to the possibility of a much later check out time and were more than happy to agree to a 2pm check out, whats more there was no extra charge (unlike Travelodge). We checked in prior to starting work and found that we had been allocated rooms at the rear in an annexe so as to minimise noise from other guests disturbing our daytime sleeping. Well done Hillingdon Prince the price and service was first rate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2012

If only the staff took as much attention and time to you whilst you are on site as the General Manager does on here replying to comments on here, I suspect they wouldn't have as many bad comments! (See their comments on Booking.com - ouch!)
Room - Cobwebs, boiling hot, windows jammed shut, rusty radiators, shower dribbled and spat only, tv only worked if you stood in one place in the room!
Restaurant - arrived after hours and hours of travelling, told restaurant open but staff too busy chatting at reception desk to bother coming to the restaurant and serve, both myself and another table walked out having not been able to order anything, went back down later to the bar to see if i could get a drink but once again despite speaking to the staff (yes, still chating away on reception...) they still ignored me and I stood in the bar for 15 mins. Went to reception again, asked if I could get a drink, had rolled eyes and a member of staff who sauntered slowly to the bar. Drink served was flat and warm in a dirty glass.
Breakfast - No other word for it except appalling. Continental buffet not filled up at all in the hour I was there despite there only being 4 slices of bread and just a dribble of coffee in the decanter. Empty boxes of juice littered the table, bread that was there was stale and dry, bowls were either wet or dirty - hmmm which one shall I choose??? Ordered hot breakfast - just three items, waitress was clearly bored, I was definately an inconvenience to her! She got the three items wrong despite asking me twice. When it eventually came the hash browns were solid - definately reheated from previous services, the mushrooms were seeping out a white fluid - worrying! And the tomato was shrivelled, black and tiny. I gave up, thought I would just make a cup of tea,( at this hotel you make your own tea from a flask!) however the flask was almost empty - not that surprising since nothing else on the buffet table was filled up - the water inside was luke warm at best.
Having worked in hotels and for some of the biggest chains in the world I would be embarassed if my teams had ever delivered this sub standard service. my advice would be for the general manager - whilst it is very important to reply to reviews it may be more important to have a look at what yuou staff are doing when you are not around. The hotel could be really beautiful and your team are letting you down, they stand around and chat and ignore guests and count the minutes till the end of their shift. The hotel will never take money on the bar or restaurant if the staff are chating in reception! The breakfast can be improved 100% if the staff fill the buffet and stop looking as if they are being forced to be there and the guests are just an inconvenience. Running a hotel is hard work but to deliver this level of service is just unacceptable and I am sure as a General Manager you must be embarassed to read reviews from disappointed guests. You will probably ask why I didnt bring it to the staffs attention so I'll just explain that now - On the first night the staff were too busy chatting away at reception to even come and serve me a drink - even when I went and asked them! Do you think they would have been receptive and responsive to a complaint? I think not and certainly wasnt prepared to be embarassed again by rolled eyes and exasperated sighs from your team. In the morning the breakfast waitress could hardly bear to serve let alone listen and the girl on reception was run off her feet. I paid in advance for two nights but really couldnt bear to stay the second night, I figured if I was going to have cold tea, a long wait for a drink, an uncomfortable night and no evening meal then I may as well take the overnight train! It is some indication of how bad the service was that I was prepared to lose the money I had already paid rather than go back for a second helping! Several of the hotels that I have inspected and assessed through my work have found a staff painting day increased moral and team bonding - this would fix the problem of the paintwork that needs attention and gave the management a way of working with the team and getting them back on side. Maybe this could work for your hotel? Good Luck as the hotel has huge potential and it is a shame to see it as it is.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you for your comments I will certainly take onboard the points you have raised.
I am a little confused though, as you say you waited in the restaurant in the evening to be served however we do not have a restaurant open in the evening only a breakfast room, we do serve bar meals that can be ordered at the bar I am unsure where you were waiting to be served?
The friendliness of my staff is extremely important to me and I am sure if you read other reviews about our hotel good or bad they all say how nice and friendly the staff are.
Please do come back and try us again and my staff will be happy to ensure you have a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

The service stood out from all the hotels,I tried to book by husband and daughter into when they got stuck in Reading after their car was locked into a carpark. Dan was extremely helpful and went the extra mile in accomodating them with a room. I know now that I can rely on a decent hotel with excellant customer service. Thank you so very much.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad to hear you had great service from Dan and that he looked after your husband and daughter well. I hope you come and stay with us again soon.