“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I've stayed in this hotel nearly ten times over the last few years and seen it go through a number of changes. The name itself changed a few years back also.

I always come down with a group of mates for the students union or a night out in town.

The location is perfect as it's close to the university and town but in a quiet and serene location on Christchurch Road.

Ample car parking space in the front and rear and its free.

All the rooms i've stayed in including the annex have been good. They are clean and tidy. I would recommend the annex however is it has a cottagey and more private appeal.

I highly recommend staying here and i would do so myself again without a shred of a doubt!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The first hotel I've ever stayed in where they provide microwaves AND fridges in the room and provide dinner plates and cutlery ha ha . The building itself look a smidge dated but the rooms very clean and spacious, and the staff were really helpful. Excellent off road secure parking, some excellent low price restaurants less than a 5 min walk and easy access to the city centre. A s my daughter lives in reading I'll definitely be staying in this quaint hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Me and my best mates went on a night out in reading for the bank holiday. We got a 3 bedroom room for great value here. We were delighted and when we turned up there was plenty of free parking, we were only 15 mins walk from reading town centre. The room was clean and tidy and there was even a microwave! very handy when your on a girls night out and want some quick meals whilst getting ready! There was plenty of plug sockets for chargers and hair straighteners and there was already a hair dryer that was good enough to use. The staff were all very friendly even when we came in early a.m and asked if they did room service the member of staff on the reception found it amusing and politely told us they didnt do any. You get what you pay for here its cheap and basic but there was nothing to complain about. Given the price for many hotels for one night and the standards you would expect for the prices this was not a let down, it was much better than we expected. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Fantastic I am glad you had such a good weekend at our hotel, dont forget if you book through our priority club using PCLUB you will get great savings for your next stay. Hope to see you again soon and thanks for the review
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Me and a mate decided to stay here as we were having a work function in Reading that night. We chose a twin room. It was cheap, clean with plenty of free parking and walking distance to the centre of Reading. Check in was quick with no hassle. They let us check in early for no extra charge. I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for your review and I am glad that you had a great stay, come and see us again soon.
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Hotel is not in a good area of Reading I thought. I tried to walk to the centre and after 15mins of walking past a poor area of town (too many hoodies for my liking hanging around) I reached a tesco metro where I bought my dinner, which i was allowed to microwave in the room. Being given the ability to do this made me feel like the hotel name was spelt wrong - should have been 'hostel'.

My view was a high brick wall 2 meters away with manky milk crates littered about. The bed sheets had some stains. The room and throughout the hotel needed a paint job. The clientele seemed to be workmen as they were all traipsing around in dirty boots and high vis suits.
Breakfast mediocre. Staff friendly enough and helpful.

Wouldn't recommend. Ill be going for Prem Inn in the centre next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel.
We are just a 10-15 minute walk to the town but also there is a bus stop at the end of the road that runs every 5 minutes into the town centre and train station. It sounds as if you took a long route if you found Tesco express; if you had walked down Kendrick Road instead it would not have taken so long. My staff are always happy to help with directions, I am sorry we did not get the opportunity to give you directions during your stay. I hope you do try us again.

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

UK
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We decided to book the Hillingdon as were moving to Reading so decided to stay here until we found somewhere to live. As we booked for a week we got a special rate and this was by far one of the best deals we found online.

For the price the room was very good, although a bit of a squeeze especially with all of our luggage. The en suite was pretty spacious though. The kitchenette was very basic but very useful for cooking basic meals. Although the kitchenette doesn't come with much in the way of kitchen equipment, when we contacted the staff for things we needed they were very helpful in finding them for us!

Staff were very helpful on check in, helping us out with our luggage! They were also happy to extend check out for us to give us time to go and sign our lease as well as help with some of our other requests.

The only problem we had was the wi-fi could sometimes be a bit temperamental. Also the decor is a bit dated which might bother some people, but we didn't care!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi, Thank you for writing us such a nice honest review it is much appreciated.
Our studio rooms are very popular for guests wish to stay longer than just a few nights, being able to cook is always an advantage. Also our studio rates are very low, it would be very hard to beat these prices in Reading.
Glad you had such a good stay and I hope you are happy in your new home.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed overnight after a shattering day at work in the Reading area, because I was working there the next day as well. The evening shift, Rena I think her name was and a lovely young African man could not have been more welcoming and friendly. He even carried my bag to my room for me which was much appreciated. They also provided a 'microwave' meal, not the regular tasteless type of meal either, it was a delicious chilli and plenty of it -- as it was 9:30pm at night.

It was nice to be able to have a drink in the bar in the evening to wind down after my day at work and prices were reasonable. Room was quiet.

The room was large, with fridge/microwave to be able to self cater, tv, desk large very comfortable bed and another table alongside the fridge. The decor was somewhat dated, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was large, shower was hot, but the showerguard did not stop water going all over the floor, which accounts for the bubbly floorcovering. Still it was clean.

For the price I paid, I felt this was great. The morning was not so great, a new man on reception who informed me that breakfast didn't start until 8am (Saturday), but since I started work at 8am, this was not good for me. He refused to give me a refund saying I had to get that from booking.com - I explained that I didn't give money to the website, the hotel takes the money and he still refused, but then did provide me with cereal, tea and two slices of bread to toast and a cold croissant.

He was the only negative thing really about my stay, so not too bad.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business