“Hillingdon Prince Hotel with value”

Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I stayed here whilst visiting family in the area, On check in I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist and check in was very quick and easy. My room was very spacious and bright I had a fridge and microwave in the room which was a bonus. There was a large flat screen TV in the room and you also get free wifi in all rooms. The whole place has a welcoming atmosphere and made me feel at home. I had lost something during my stay and the housekeeping team were excellent and went out of their way to help me. Breakfast was delicious the sausages were really nice, I also enjoyed the croissants there was chocolate, almond and plain flavoured. On check out the lady was very friendly and smiley which is good as it sent me on my way feeling very happy.

This hotel is definitely great value for money and I will be staying again and recommending to all family and friends.

Regards

Lee Smeed

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Well being a seasoned traveller and having worked for an airline for 14 years, I have stayed in many hotels from 0 star to 5 star and to be completely honest I don't even know where to start with this hotel. We needed somewhere reasonably priced to stay for 1 night and there was a group of 8 ladies. The rooms were all of an extremely poor standard compared to the online photo's of which we though looked nice. Shocked is an understatement!! The bathrooms were dirty and scummy, the decor was very shabby, wallpaper hanging off worn carpets etc. Myself and a friend booked a twin but were given a tiny double with no option to swap!! Good job she's my best mate!!! One of the girls was almost given an electric shock just by turning the lamp on, ultimately blowing the electrics leaving our other friend struggling in the dark, cold shower!!! The 3rd room was big in size but so hot, with dodgy windows that didn't open and curtains hanging off the rail! The bathroom was unhygienic and the damp patches were everywhere. Breakfast was finally served up after 45 mins of ordering and the plate of food that was put infront of us was not even worth feeding to the dog. After having paid on arrival?? Our £60 per room charge was clearly daylight robbery, so we set about speaking to the manager!! What manager, NO manager?? Day off, at home with the kids, no duty manger in charge?? Seriously the lovely lady on reception had been put in a very awkward position by her so called management and in her defence, she was extremely helpful. She called the 'manager' on her mobile over and over again and still no answer, she emailed to which the 'manager' responded, 'i'm at home with my kids so it's not appropriate to talk'!! Never mind that just authorise a refund, do you not trust the opinions of your own staff and customers?? I'd hate to think who would manage a serious situation in the hotel, such as a fire or medical incident!!
So after taking up camp in the lounge for 2 hours we were finally given half our costs back and to the lovely staff member who happened to pop in on her day off, we are extremely grateful....................shame her manager couldn't have done the same thing really!! Enough said!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

THESE GUESTS ARE WITH PREVIOUS RECENT REVIEW HENCE SAME RESPONSE -
I am sorry that I was unable to meet with you in person on your departure day, I was on holiday leave and along way from the hotel which was why I was not able to attend, but still
managed to take phone calls and emails to try to resolve the situation.

You didn't get the best rooms in the hotel but then again it was very full and we did our best to accommodate you rather than turn you away.

We source our sausages from local farms and our rolls from local bakers and
like to give our guests a really good breakfast, so I am alarmed that you didn't enjoy it. In our other reviews people say how much they enjoy our

It is a shame that you only complained after the event instead of during
your stay when we would have tried to put any complaint right for you.Instead your party of people caused a terrible upset at reception after your
food.

It is sad for us to receive a bad review from your party because we always work hard to make our guests comfortable.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Sat 18 August. The staf were very impressive and when we arrived we were impressed with look of it.
When we arrived back in the evening we were met by another guest complaining which was interesting, we laughed it off initially!
We booked 4 twin rooms, they ended up being in totally separate parts of the hotel! The rooms were very warm, owing to the fridge. The curtains wouldn't draw properly, and the peach bathroom suite was not well kept at all. The bed felt creaky, each time I moved the headboard banged against the wall! The next morning I was showering, (the shower was old fashioned, the bath panel was cracked, and the mould was everywhere) my friend popped on the lamp above the bed, only to receive sparks! This then blew the trip for the whole room, I was showering in complete darkness!!! At this point our friend arrived and informed reception, they were quick to attend to our room, but we did not see the lamp get repaired - the switch was turned back on -beware - Room 207.
Breakfast was the nail in the coffin really, we asked for a few variations on cooked breakfast, I.e one to come with scrambled egg no tomato, this also then came out missing beans, mushroom and sausages! The lady that took our order but was very confused when she brought them back out...."I don't know what this one is". Bacon was not cooked, beans cold, hash brown overlooked etc
The gobsmacking thing is the manger's attitude, we asked to speak with her, but she was not available, there was no support to the staff. The receptionist was brilliant (Becky) and was trying to track her down, an emailed response "I'm spending time with my children today, they can email me and I will reply professionally" huh!!!! We received one email response to our email refusing to grant authority to refund us, without investigating. We waited for a further hour and a half!!!!
No support to staff, no cleanliness, and not a qualified chef??? Don't go there ......

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

2 REIVEWS FROM SAME GROUP -

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Another stay at this hotel. I'm in the main hotel and enjoy the peace and quiet. Did not have a problem with breakfast as one or two have said over the weekend. My room on the second floor is clean and tidy, not a bad size. seems quite full as usual faces passing by in corridors. Cant please everyone in life, but who can...I'm Happy and have been with all my room locations and cleanliness

Room Tip: Look at a few rooms if you can. I always do...be comfortable and happy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We have stayed here many times when our daughter was studying at Reading University. It is cheap accommodation but we found it adequate. We attended our Daughters wedding and booked our stay here again for us, the photographer and the musician. Our room was disgusting. the decor was well overdue, the hall carpet in the Kendrick house annexe was ruffled through age (health & safety ! But the dirt and dust were the worst with the loo being badly stained and the bath having mildew all around it. The day we left, a group of people held a sit in to protest about the filth because the manager would not see them. Avoid this venue. It is expensive for the standard (cleanliness) it provides. It makes a Travelodge seem 5 star by comparison

Room Tip: Don't pay until you have seen the room they offer you
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for two nights on a weekend. Prior to our arrival we made several changes to our booking at all times the reception staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. We arrived and were checked in by extremely friendly staff, we were shown to our room which was a family room for four of us which was extremely large and spacious. There were two single beds a double, a large LCD tv with free view channels and a fridge and microwave both of which we were not expecting (great surprise). The bathroom did smell a little damp and was very dated however it was clean and had everything that we needed. The staff were second to none and provided directions and advice around getting to the town centre (around a 15 minute walk) aswell as providing my friend with contact numbers for landlords in the area as she was moving to the area (the reason for our trip). I would recommend this hotel and will be returning when I visit my friend.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

myself and 7 friends booked the hillingdon prince for my 40th birhday as we were going to the Rewind festival, well OMG to say the website is decieving is an understatement. The only good thing about this hotel are the reception staff who are extremely friendly and helpful. We had booked 4 twin rooms, 2 of my friends were given a tiny double im sure they will make their own review on here! All the rooms we were given were far apart we had 2 rooms in one building, another in an another building and another one a few minutes walk away in yet another building. Room 209 was ours it had a window which was mouldy and falling apart, the curtains didnt fit so when we tried to close them they pulled to the middle of the window. The mmmm gorgeous 'PEACH' bathroom suite was filthy, the toilet brown and stained, the shower filthy and marked and the sink cracked, im not sure the plugholes had seen any cleaning fluid for a few years the floor both in the bathroom and bedroom was filthy, totally disgusting the oh so modern itchy blankets on the bed where stained although the sheets were clean. The wallpaper was ripped in several places and in general the room was like a throw back from the 80/90s!! Breakfast.....well im a chef and i have never seen anything so disgusting!!! After making our own coffee and toast(with a toaster that takes approx 5mins to toast a slice of bread) we ordered 8 full english breakfasts, 45mins yes thats 45 minutes later what we were presented with was shocking, cold grey bacon, mushrooms that were overcooked, a hash brown that had so much grease it could have killed you, the egg oh hahaha the egg, overcooked, rubbery!! this was the same for the other 7 breakfasts, we had already complained about the rooms so after leaving the table with no breakfast we complained to reception. The poor lady on reception informed us there was no manager on duty, so after numerous phone calls to her(which she ignored) the lady sent her an email. She replied by saying that she wasnt prepared to come and discuss the complaint and would not ring either as she was out with her children!!! After sending more emails and making numerous calls to her she still refused to acknowledge the situation. 2 and a half hours later another receptionist arrived between them they refunded half our money even though they werent authorised to do it. All i can say is the management(really i wouldnt call her that) leaves alot to be desired and really needs to be shown the door!! The recepion staff thank you and well done i hope you dont get in trouble. PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends