“Good for business”

Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I found this to be a clean tidy warm room at a very competitive price. Free parking and wifi is easily avalable and there is plenty if free parking. Easy access and central location. Facilities to eat in the room a bonus!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Disastrous stay, luckily only for 2 nights. We had two rooms. First night both rooms had stained bed linen (coffee spills on one quilt cover which was clearly visible, as well as blood on sheet. Other room, blood on sheets and pillow cover.) Had breakfast following morning to be given badly cooked fried eggs, (whites not cooked,) tomatoes hard, bacon cold and only just cooked. Complained to reception at the same time other guests were complaining about their breakfasts. Went back to our rooms and one room had been "cleaned" resulting in us checking the bed linen. All still had marks on so if they had been missed the first time should have been seen the second time. Towels in bathroom were dirty with red marks on. Second room also had dirty towels and dirty bed linen. Went and complained to reception and they said they would send up the housekeeping manager at 11am. We were out until early evening. Went back to rooms. Both worse than before. First room had new towels that were more stained than the ones we complained about. One clearly had blood on the corner that was about 3 inches in diameter and very clearly visible. Went to reception and took the dirty towels with us. We were out again and promised this would be sorted by a genuinely embarrassed Jose. True to his word when we got back, we had brand new, clean sheets and towels and a complimentary bottle of wine. Excellent customer service. Good to see someone take ownership and resolve the issue. Perhaps head of housekeeping should attend the same courses???? Apparently the food was bad as the cook had cut tendons in his hand. Perhaps the hotel needs to use a new agency for a replacement chef??? Were told the issues with cleanliness were because of a new member of staff on our floor. If they are that new they cannot tell dirty linen from clean, then perhaps someone should be shadowing them, maybe head of housekeeping training staff on the job to a good standard???
Such a shame as most of the staff we spoke to were keen to help and seemed to be let down by unseen staff in the kitchen and housekeeping. Perhaps head of housekeeping should put the laundry company they currently use on notice to improve or they will not be used in the future and maybe inspect the linen before it is available to cleaners to avoid more disappointed guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Arrived early and lady on reception was really helpful in arranging early check in for me. Room lovely and cosy fantastic to have fridge and microwave meaning I didnt have to eat out all the time. Had a bar meal on first night and was very tasty nice atmosphere in bar and felt homely :-)
Breakfast is excellent and you can tell its cooked fresh for each guest. I only booked a standard room but I got a free upgrade to a club room which was brand new and modern. I will be staying again next time im in reading x

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at Hillingdon Prince early Jan 2014. I was very hapy to use onsite gym. Very well equipped. Also, I was pleased to use free WiFi. In most hotels you have to pay for the access to internet. On top of that, when my laptop broke down, I could use hotel guest PC, what saved my life :)
Staff was really helpful. In my opinion, this hotel is worth what it offers. I am suprised that it has only two stars. I would give it a 3. Thank you so much and see you in early March.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights last week and was impressed by the helpfulness of the staff. The hotel is currently being decorated and to be fair the room I was in was in need of some decoration however the room met my needs and the bed was clean and comfortable. The bar meals and breakfast were exceptionally good and the staff very friendly. The location of the hotel is good, just outside the centre, and there was very little noise at night. Will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just had the a great stay at hillngdon prince hotel. Room was spotlessly clean, free wifi staff very friendly and helpful. Flat screen tv with freeview, fridge and microwave. Fridge handy for chilling our vino!!! Our room had been newly decorated what more could you ask for for the money. Pleasantly surprised for a 2 star hotel!!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Read the reviews and thought it looked like an ok place to spend a night, can only think my partner and I paid for the room they usually forget they have...

My first impression on pulling into the car park was that the building had formerly been the sort of institution people used to be placed within then forgotten about however we have stayed in much worse looking buildings which have turned out to be great once we had gone inside... unfortunately this was not that sort of building...

The floor of our room was sloped and uneven, the bed was literally falling apart, the carpet in places threadbare we had a pipe hidden in a cupboard that was eventually found to be the source of the dripping sound that tormented us once the TV had been turned off... generally the feeling of the space in which we had paid to stay was dirty... the sort of place you actually want to keep your shoes on in... we did however have a full sized ironing board which some kind soul had set up in the room directly opposite the door making it the first thing we saw as we opened it. Oddly however the room did not come with an iron, which frankly baffled us.

The hotel bar appeared to have last been decorated/remodeled in the early seventies and the drinks it served could well have been of a similar vintage... if you like cork covered walls and bottles of Babycham then this really is the place for you...

Breakfast was actually not bad however when staff at reception insisted we pay for it even after we showed them our printed out booking confirmation which clearly stated breakfast was included in the fee we had already paid indigestion set in...

In short, our room did not reflect at all the pictures used on this or any other site that we have seen the hotel advertised on and i would not chose to stay at it again... we could, for a similar fee, have stayed in a chain hotel which would have been exactly as advertised, namely clean... .

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are under the age of seventy or still have reasonably good vision. Do not st...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laura c
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I am so disappointed that you did not make us aware that you were unhappy with your room if only we had known you were unhappy we would have happily offered you an alternative. Myself and my staff are keen to ensure all our guests have a great stay and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please do email me and let me know what room number you were in so I can investigate the points you have raised.
Warm regards