“Good value for the quality of the room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillingdon Prince Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Reading
“Good value for the quality of the room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I would use this hotel again with no hesitation. The rooms were very spacious and having a fridge in the room became extremely useful. The bathroom may be an area of improvement as it wasnt as modern as the rest of the room and the shower wasnt very poweful however overall there is nothing bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Two nights in a twin room. It is a very good value hotel. The room was clean, nice size room, very comfy beds and nice linen. We found the microwave and fridge in the room very handy ! Although the bathroom could benefit from a refurbishment, it didn't affect our stay at all because it was clean. The staff is lovely and always happy to help you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Tidworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was pleasantly surprised on this hotel - it was booked as a cheap quick hotel and that is what I thought I was going to end up with but this hotel is well worth the price. The staff were polite and cheerful through the whole stay, check in to breakfast to check out.
The hotel is clean, bright and asking for a travel cot was not an issue. Breakfast was everything you could ask for - this was the only downfall as we did not pre-book so paid full price but that was still worth it (next time I'll know)!

Room Tip: Pre-book breakfast
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I'm going to take the "Oreo cookie" approach to reviewing this. Good thing, some constructive criticism, and then another good thing.

I specifically chose this hotel over something else affordable and boring like Premier Inn because of the photo on their website. It looked like a great old house and it didn't disappoint. I loved the look of this hotel. My room was clean and updated. It was close enough to walk to both university campuses and I felt close enough to anything I needed. This hotel is great in those regards.

Some constructive criticism.
I didn't receive any of the perks advertised with the discount code from the website. I couldn't get the high speed internet to work, but the free regular wifi was good enough. I didn't receive a "free gift" or a drink in the bar. These things weren't mentioned to me at all upon checkin, even though the website said I should receive them. It's almost as if the front desk person didn't know anything about them.

On the first morning of my stay my shower was fine, but the second and third mornings I had no hot water. I thought about going downstairs to inquire, but I was needing to get on with my day as I had places to be both mornings, so I suffered with a very cold shower. By the time I was finishing my shower the hot water would come in, so I expect it was a building-wide water tank issue and not my room specifically. Regardless, I can't say it was the most pleasant part of my days.

The only place where breakfast times were posted was in the key card envelope. Naturally, I didn't notice that breakfast wasn't served until 8 on weekends, so although I payed for a breakfast every day, I wasn't able to have my last one as I had to catch my train. I would have appreciated knowing this upon booking.

I was going to offer this feedback upon checkout, but the person who checked me out had no interest in speaking to me. She didn't ask me how my stay was, didn't smile, didn't even really look up to acknowledge me, and instead just sort of ignored me while she finished something up before checking me out. Then really all she did was take my key and say something like "ok that's it, thanks." Needless to say, she was unapproachable enough that I didn't want to chance offering this feedback and have her be unpleasant, so I just left.

Finishing with a good thing.
The woman who served me a beer and shepherd's pie my first night was absolutely a delight. She was like a mum away from home. I think the rest of the front of house staff could take some lessons from her.

So, I can't say it was the best hotel experience I've ever had, but down the road when I remember this place I'll remember the lovely building and that wonderful lady who served me my shepherd's pie. Overall my lasting impression will be a good one.

Room Tip: Apparently there are some rooms that have not been updated, so ask for an updated one.
1 Thank Swyved
Birchington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just had my second stay at Hillingdon Prince and it wont be my last. Clean, quiet, well equipped rooms, comfortable beds, nice breakfasts and friendly staff. Parking and location are great. Such good value for money. Thank you!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel is very reasonable priced. The hotel is clean and have fridge and microwave which is a great bonus! Also there is free wifi and parking another great bonus! Beds are comfortable and clean so all in in all a great hotel to stay in!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cowley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed in the budget room which is cheaper because not recently refurbished. However, it had all the amenities of the other rooms, it was super comfortable and absoluteley clean. The area is not the nicest part of reading but its only a 15 minute walk to the oracle and town centre.