“My worst experience ever. Not recommended at all.”

Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Blanden, Belgium
“My worst experience ever. Not recommended at all.”
Reviewed 15 January 2010

This is the first time ever that I actually have to ask in a hotel to change my room. I had asked for a single room and got the one just below the roof (308). It's a tiny tiny room, with the width equal to the length of the bed (it actually just fitted in between), but then still with a slant ceiling. Even though they promise free wireless, the signal didn't reach the roof room. There was no place to work whatsoever, as the television and the water boiler took all the place on the only small table there was. Bathroom was really basic, if not dirty. At certain spots, the carpet felt wet all the time, so no option to walk around barefoot. At 6 am, I think they started to wash the laundry, because the wall between the bed and the shower started to tremble and make a terrible noise. It was as if they were drilling in your room and I couldn't sleep anymore.
So next thing in the morning, I asked to change rooms immediately. They offered me a double room (mounting the price by 10 pound), which was much better. It had wireless (even though the connection was broken every two minutes), it was quite clean, but the wall paper came loose with large parts at some places.
It is clear that this hotel has not been maintained for years. Probably all the money went to the flat screen in the bar, which was surprisingly nice, beautiful and well-maintained.
Breakfast was not good either. For the hot breakfast, everything is microwaved. They almost never had bread, but only small boxes with cornflakes, frosties, ... Croissants (if any) were microwaved as well or sometimes completely burned. The best were the toasts. Seriously overpriced!!
I was not the only one complaining. We were like 20 people of the conference there and I didn't hear one being satisfied. Also some others had asked to change rooms. So: you have to be lucky with the rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank murzim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Blackppol
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Stayed at the Comfort Inn ( contradiction in terms though that is ! ) in November. I was booked into this Hotel by an Agency used by my Company. When I got to the Hotel initially .. I thought it might not be too bad... not great . but bearable. Once I had a chance to get settled into the Room.... which was 'out the back' in another tatty building , not a part of the main front... I realised how bad the place was. I found items left by previous occupants, cobwebs on the light fittings, it smelled damp, tiles falling off the wall in the shower, Not very good at all... I spoke to the manager in the Morning ... I wasn't expecting anything to be honest ... I just wanted to let him know that the place was a dump.. and that I would be putting my comments on this website and getting in touch with the Company that organises our Hotel Bookings to make sure that this particular Comfort Inn gets removed from our list ( and to take a closer look at websites like TripAdvisor before putting people in anymore Comnfort Inns ! ) . I reckon I have put more time and effort into writing this than the alleged Manager of the Comfort Inn has put into rhis job in the last month ( or more ! ). I am so annoyed by this place .. I think I will get in touch with their local environmental health as well.... before something happens to someone.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank torwin

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

UK
Reviewed 12 September 2009

This isn't the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - but it might be the most overpriced - I expect much more than shabby carpets, dated decor and flaking paint for nearly £100 a night for a double room. The only positive was the helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Horley
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Not the worst hotel Ive been too, butt then not the best.

On entry to the hotel, old towels and trays were strewn in the corridor, suggesting the one man cleaning crew was a bit behind and perhaps overworked.
This opinion was cemented when upon leaving our room we noticed (amazingly for the first time) a 3 inch spider, huge web and remnants of his dinner in the corner above our door.
The breakfast was good, but overpriced.
Downsides were a terrible shower, a load washing macine like drone above our room (suspect it was the boiler and central heating system) and a TV that emitted a whine above the normal noise.

Downsides definetly outweighed the up. But didnt really care at the time and was either still drunk from teh festival or asleep.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This hotel is now called the Hillingdon Prince Hotel, and it's easy to imagine that the Comfort Inn chain booted this property off their franchise list. The rooms are dirty, the carpet is old and just feels disgusting if you walk on it barefoot. I am not a gold medal cleaner myself but it was easy for me to tell that these rooms are grossly--and I mean grossly--neglected. Bed was uncomfortable. Staff were a mixed bag, some were really nice and a couple were rude. There is really no reason to choose this hotel. I thought it might be bearable because it was so close to the university, where I had a meeting, but its proximity is just not worth it. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
anywhere
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My worst experience worldwide ! I got this attic tiny room, as a few other reviewers. Not only it is very small, but it is not clean at all (hello spiders !) and there must be a leak under the carpet somewhere, it was constantly wet. You may have a better room if you book a double room and require a ground floor room, but it will not necessarily be cleaner. Be prepared. Or choose another hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kourbabi
Marion, Illinois
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Rooms were quite nice. A VERY quiet location. Breakfast was wonderful and was served by a wonderful wait staff. Dinner at the hotel was good, too. The only negative was the tele was not working properly and the staff said "i guess it's hit or miss" and the wi-fi NEVER worked on my computer but once in a 5 day stay. Signal was quite low.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business