“Excellent, good value but don't get a front room facing the road”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Reading
brussels
“Excellent, good value but don't get a front room facing the road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

It was my first stay at premier inn for a long time and I was on the whole very impressed with the value. Good parking and a friendly welcome, even though I arrived at 3am. Free Internet for 30 minutes was useful, even paying 3 pounds for 24 hours is not expensive. But why not just make it completely free. The bathroom was good, though shower could have more water. But that was a minor point. The one main negative for me was that the room faced the main road. I noticed the noise when in bed already, but I was too tired to pack and ask for a different room. In the end I slept ok despite this. But when I stay next time I will certainly ask for a rear facing room. If I can get the same price again, I will certainly return as it is very useful for when I collect my son at the end of term from his nearby school.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

had no problems with this hotel clean, free parking a rarity in reading, easy access in to town centre and train station, Orical etc.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reading, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

The Premier Inn chain offers cheap accomodation and promises to provide a good service. So? Well it was cheap. We arrived and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. The room was clean and welcoming. They are basic, a bed, some furniture and a tv. But since we were only staying the night, what more do you want? Did it pass my grouch list? Yes, there were extra pillows! Well done Premier. Was it quiet? Very, even though there was a major road outside we were not disturbed, nor were there noisy neighbours in the adjoining rooms. Was the bed comfy? Just. The shower was hot and powerful, a great way to wake up.
The hotel is opposite the major shopping mall of Reading so that is good if you fancy a shop, or to search out a decent place to eat.
I di not find out about the car park behind until too late so I arrived by train and the hotel is a fair walk from the station, over a mile I would say.
A great place for people wanting a room to crash in after a night out in Reading, or for a visit to the town. But I suspect the lack of facilities in the room would start to tell after a few days

Room Tip: Check out the car parking before arriving . Rooms facing onto Southampton Street are prone to traffi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Barganax
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

PI stands head and shoulders above the rest for me, I was unwell during my stay last weekend and the staff could not have been more friendly, doing everything they could to ensure my stay was enjoyable - and it was. The clean rooms, excellent service, quality and reasonably priced food are just some of the things to credit this stylish hotel. Location is unbeatable, being in the centre of a busy, thriving town, whilst still cleverly designed to afford guests relaxation and enable them to forget the hussle and bussle. I will deffinatley be going back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I came back to my home town for an old friend's birthday party. Almost everything about the hotel is excellent; my room was spacious and clean with tea and coffee facilities, the bar area is very pleasant, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Just about the only issue I had was with traffic noise; the rooms at the front overlook the town's ring road, and once the traffic woke me at 6am my night's sleep was over. I would however definitely stay here again; I'd just make a point of asking for a room at the back. I've read reviews on other sites whingeing about the lack of character, the presence of soap dispensers rather than branded toiletries, etc. etc. but this is a budget chain (an excellent one!) and you get what you pay for. If I did have a grouse, it would be with the price of the breakfast; you'd have to eat quite a lot to get your eight pounds' worth, but having said that, there are several places in the Oracle and elsewhere in Reading where you can get breakfast for consirably less. Overall, though, an excellent hotel for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Having stayed in quite a few budget hotels around the UK and across the world I think the Premier Inn brand is up there with the best of them. Rooms can be booked for as little as £19 and £29 depending on the time of year and current offers.

I managed to book this Premier Inn for £29 for the night, and had a few friends staying in adjacent rooms. The hotel was large and spacious, with a good quick check in service. The staff were friendly and helpful and dealt with every request promptly and effectively.

The room was a standard sized double, with all the usual amenities. It is perfect for a night or two but no more as it lacks that homely feeling.

This Premier Inn is ideally located for the town and shopping centre, both of which are only a short walk away.

Overall a decent budget hotel that ticks all of the boxes. I can only give it 4 stars due to the sort of hotel it is, and due to the fact that rooms can go up in cost to around £80/90 which would make this hotel slightly bad value compared to when offers are on.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

The title of my review may be a bit harsh, but I was unimpressed with this hotel. The good news is that the staff are very friendly and helpful. I never felt unappreciated. The food was palatable for breakfast and very nice for dinner.

This is definitely not an American hotel. I have stayed in worse in the UK, but I have also stayed in better. Not bad for the price. I would not stay at this hotel again if I had my choice (this was a company decision - not mine).

Traffic getting to and from the hotel is definitely no picnic. Being close to The Oracle Mall and shops and restaurants is a plus.

The circuits all shut off in my room when I tried to charge my phone with a proper adapter the first night. The Internet connection was quirky at best and completely inaccessible at certain times (always between 5 and 7 p.m.)

The air conditioning and heating units are quite loud and made sleeping a challenge.

Knowing the level of British hotels compared to American hotels, my expectations were set before I arrived, I am glad to report that this hotel met those expectations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business