“So So, not the best Browns”

Browns Brasserie and Bar
Ranked #65 of 637 Restaurants in Reading
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Browns ReadingRubbing shoulders with chic boutiques and vibrant galleries, Browns Reading is the perfect place to soak up the cultural buzz of Berkshire’s well-connected hub.Whether at work or play, Browns offers a uniquely relaxing atmosphere. Unwind over a plate of freshly cooked, modern food. Start your weekend in style with one of our expertly mixed cocktails. Or reward the day’s efforts with a glass of what you fancy from our well-chosen wine and beer rangeLook at the map and our contact details to see how to find us.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A wednesday night in the Oracle, not the most busy of nights. Browns looked nice, lady on a big piano playing so I drifted in. Browns in Bristol is a regular, so was looking forward to this. I went for the asparagus & prosciutto starter which was lovely but tiny. I had the 10oz steak with a salad, no fries and was presented with an aged small greasy piece of beef. It wasn't all that nice and the salad was rubbish. I had two glasses of red and vowed not really to return too soon. Tonights meal wasn't that great.

MalandSam-Browns, Manager at Browns Brasserie and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Hi another_JohnDoe,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

It is a shame to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us. We have a menu development team who I have passed on your comments to in regards to the portion size of your starter.

We pride ourselves on being one of the best restaurants in Reading, so I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we may not have lived up to this.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Charlotte

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Up to now I always have rated Browns but the new menu is a bit disappointing and rather boring. We dined Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but not in a disjointed way. My husband had the baked camembert which is huge and at a massive 250g rather large for one person. This is best for sharing and it would have been helpful if this had been mentioned when ordering. I had the scallops which at £9 are overpriced for two and a half scallops. They were, however, cooked well. The mains were fish cakes and the wild boar burger - both toward the top end price wise which is getting to the limit of what I am prepared to pay in a chain restaurant where the food is brought in rather than cooked from scratch..
Service was very good and Anna our waitress was very helpful. Range of drinks is good and the wine list quite extensive but wines a bit towards the pricier end for such a venue.
Given the current menu and prices it may be a while before I return. Shame really but there is so much competition in this area you can be spoiled for choice.
I would prefer a "good" marking rather than average but it doesn't give me this opportunity and it didn't quite deserve a "very good".

Hi Wendy119186363,

Thank you for your feedback about your visit here with us at Browns Reading.

It is a shame to read your comment about the change in our menu. The only dish that has been changed is the burger, all other dishes have remained the same. With regards to the baked camembert, this is listed in our 'while you wait' section a long with all other share plates. I'm sorry if this was not clear enough for you.

I'm glad to hear that Anna gave you great service and I will pass on your compliments to her.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Went to Browns for a work do, never been before and had no real expectations. Chose the Steak pie and have to say it was amazing! A lot better than the usual fodder from chain restaurants, on par with some of the best gourmet restaurants I've been to in London. The rest of the meal was equally as good but will definitely be going back for the Steak Pie! Also, equally impressed with the service but the food was amazing!

1  Thank TSM74

Hi TSM74,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review.

We are famous for our steak pie so it is a pleasure to hear that you had the chance to enjoy it.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had never really entertained the thought of Sunday Afternoon Tea in Reading but were invited by our daughter and granddaughter. Good range of options for the food with others in our party opting for lower fat options such as fresh fruit salad. Nice touch that they made porridge for my 4 year old granddaughter! We opted for the traditional tea which was served very nicely on a three tier tray. Very nice, tasty sandwiches which were a good mix of Salmon & Cream Cheese, Egg and the obligatory Cucumber. Scones appeared homemade and were again full of flavour and served with jam and cream. Finally, selection of three cakes, Chocolate Mouse, Orange Drizzle and Fruit Cake. Tea served in a proper pot with plenty of milk and hot water top ups. Good value!
I know I am being very picky here but this would have earned 5 stars if a) the selection of tea was wider – they only offered English Breakfast Tea or Earl Grey and b) if the sandwiches had been finger cut with the crusts trimmed off, instead of triangles with crusts on. Browns do need to sort out the tea selection, offering an Afternoon Tea at least plus may be Assam or Ceylon Orange Pekoe.
Overall, opened our eyes to this option in Reading and we were surprised by the numbers of people in the Restaurant. The restaurant’s decor lends itself to this type of occasion anyway and was supplemented by a lounge piano player. As an added bonus, some Signature cocktails are available at £5 after 4pm on a Sunday. We will go back.

Hi brucestalker1,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their visit. I have also passed on your compliments to our head chef.

I appreciate your comment about the tea selection and will take this on board.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Nice booth for 5 , lot of other business groups here tonight.
Menu good. Food fine but needs final touches for example some bread with starters. I had asparagus with egg. No bread delivered!
Main courses fine and good portions. Overall would go with an internal business group again.
Would think about taking a client.

MalandSam-Browns, Manager at Browns Brasserie and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hi Barneyq101,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed you visit with us. I have passed on your comments to our head chef who has taken them on board.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.