“Awful nights!”

Lawn Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Reading B&B and Inns
“Awful nights!”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Awuful nights! Impossible to sleep at all! You can hear drunk party all night long from house opposite hotel! Shouting and sining loudly up to 4 am! All day and early morning their dog was barking non stop! I'll be avoiding this place like the plague in future and telling everyone I know to do likewise!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Genius200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
UK
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The title just about says it all about this hotel...

The absolute shining star however was the really lovely receptionist / breakfast waitress who was absolutely lovely, warm and chatty. To be honest if it wasn't for this lady I really wouldn't have enjoyed my stay at all. The rooms are in need of refurbishment; in particular the nasty mattresses with springs that 'twang' every time you turn over on them need replacing.

Given the rooms age and state, they are however very clean and again a big thank you to the very nice chambermaid who was working away so hard when I was leaving my room.

So, in conclusion; nice staff and okay hotel...but I wouldn't want to stay longer than one night...

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room on the top floor. They are in the eves and are sweltering whilst the rooms downs...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon P
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and after looking at previous comments was apprehensive. Stayed in the Parkside next door. My room had been refurbished a while ago and there was still some work going on but it didn't disturb me and I heard no noise from it. I had a large room and was more than happy with the facilities. Don't let the old comments put you off.

• Stayed June 2013
Dereham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We booked to stay 17 and 18 April as a couple on business, but on arrival were told they had overbooked and were directed to the hotel next door (Parkside Hotel, sleepless night here, we think the decorators were in the adjacent room working, so we complained the following morning). Morning of the 18th we were transferred back to the Lawn as we had mentioned we were checking out. Staff at the Lawn were very polite and welcoming, and we did get a very good night's sleep. The double room was on the small side, it was clean and there was an en suite shower room, but unfortunately the shower was so hot we could not use it. I did mention this to reception at breakfast time, but they said it may have been due to everyone using the bathrooms at the same time - not something I would expect a Hotel to have a problem with at 7.30am. We paid £60 for bed and breakfast, but I feel for comfort the Travel Lodge at Bracknell was better for £40, (and go without breakfast) as the cooked breakfast was a little sparse.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the Hotel, overlooking the road, but only noticed some noise from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was given a room way up in the eaves of this very nice looking hotel. On entry to the room i nearly knocked myself out twice due to the very low and obtrusive roof trusses.

The room was very small and the bed was very uncomfortable. Shower had two temperatures, scalding hot or freezing cold. Shaving in such a confined space was very uncomfortable and without any plug in the sink making it even more unpleasureable. Reported the faulty shower and the workmen very nicely left my front door wide open for anyone in the hotel to have a look around my room. Glad I didn't leave any valuables in the room !!!

Breakfast - Only had toast but it was burnt on one side (2 Days Running !). Coffee was self service but was only replenished when the waitress was reminded it was empty. No Pre-emptive filling..

Was moved to the Sister hotel next door (Parkside hotel) Rooms are 1000% better cleaner and bigger. Insist on this hotel and not the Lawn if you intend to stay here.

Room Tip: Insist on staying in the sister hotel or not holed up in the rafters of the Lawn hotel. On the othe...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank simdog635

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Fife Scotland
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My wife and I recently spent two nights at this small hotel on the 11th and 12 of February. The hotel is fairly close to the centre of the town of Reading,(which is a nightmare to find on street parking, although there is plenty of pay for parking).The hotel has ample parking of its own.The room was warm clean and cozy, with all modern furniture.The new receptionist is a lovely young lady called Alexandra, who was very friendly and most helpful, and nothing was a problem to her, either at the reception or the Dining room. The breakfast we were served was served promptly by Alexandra, was very nice, was hot, and we had more than enough to eat. There was a good selection of cereals on offer. If we were in this area again we would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on a strict budget, and felt that we got good value for what we paid. Our room was to the b...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

my husband and I spent 2 nights on a B/B basis, 24/26 september room was warm clean and cozy, staff very friendly and helpful
nothing was a problem to the lady on reception or in the breakfast room.
food was very nice and we had more than enough to eat, coffee was great, as were the other drinks on offer.
we will return in the next few months, but I would need a lower floor room, as there was no lift.
the lady on reception advised to visit the Parkside hotel for our evening meal,,
WOW the steak was to die for but had no music,the lounge was dull, and uninviting but the food was fab,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple