“Comfortable and Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rainbows Lodge

Rainbows Lodge
Rainbows Lodge
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Bengaluru, India
“Comfortable and Nice stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in Rainbow for 2 months. The stay was very comfortable, hotel staff are really very co-operative and helping. The breakfast server is really good...specially the croissant..Rooms are very comfortable and neat and clean. i really enjoyed the stay for the entire 2 months.
What i didnot like was the single room, which is really cramped and it is really suffocating in the room.

Room Tip: Go for the apartments or Double rooms...it is spacious and you feel the air around..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shruthi G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My work means I often stay away overnight and have stayed in all types of accommodation around the UK. Shame I didn't read the reviews on this one. Just went for the price as Premier Inn had managed to put up their room prices by £30 overnight! Not that I am a Premier Inn fan by any means but at least it is clean!
On the website the pictures are lovely, on first glance the room is OK, nice and warm.
I was tired and just wanted to relax and settle down for the evening so foolishly got into my pjs, made a cup of tea and turned the TV on.
It was then I realised I should have looked closer - the carpet was grubby and was sticky underfoot, the mattresses were well past their use by date, the curtains were falling off the tracks and the room smelled vaguely of damp old clothes (although that was not evident when first opening the door), the bedside lamp didn't work, the bath plug didn't seal the water in as it had so much limescale in the plug hole. One saving grace was that I thought to test the hairdryer before washing my hair in the morning as it didn't work! - it surprises me that the owners don't think this room and possibly their hotel need a facelift.
I have stayed in cleaner and smarter guest houses at half the price and would suggest that half the charged £65 would still possibly be too much.
I can't fault the staff as there appeared to be only one young foreign girl who was on reception and the breakfast. The less said about that the better I think - Just don't expect service or civility first thing in the morning. I was ignored and felt that anyone could walk in off the street and have breakfast and probably not even be noticed.
Good Points....Water Hot, Centrally placed in Reading

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jean M

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Kent UK
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel 2 years ago. They have a nice ground floor room just next to the main hotel which is perfect for me as Im disabled. Room very spacious clean and comfortable.
My only negative is that the hotel has now been taken over from the old couple that previously ran it, and the nice English breakfast is now a "continental" one - but this was perfectly adequate. The lady on reception was very kind and helpful and let me in from the car park so didnt have to walk round to the front. She also helped me with a map of the area and local taxi numbers so I could get to my event in Reading. Very local to the station and town and would recommend this for all travellers.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in Room 24 both times by the Pelican Crossing.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catwoman690
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had to go to Reading in a hurry and booked this on the day - it was really the only cheap place left and I knew it was going to be a rapid bed and breakfast only - but to be honest, I wish I hadn't had to!
The good points - the place is relatively central, five minutes walk from the station and good for Caversham, where my business was. It was clean and the staff (when I found one at 4pm to register) were friendly and informal.
But - the single bedroom, up two flights - no lift - was extremely small and, under the eaves, very hot. They had imported a portable air conditioner, but it was extremely noisy, so I had to switch it off at night. That didn't mean a good night's sleep however, since traffic on the main road outside the hotel finishes late and starts early, as do the beeps of the pelican crossing just below my room.
Breakfast is advertised as 'continental' and it is barely that - poor selection of fresh fruit, coffee from a machine.
A very basic place - there is better value around!

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the front of the hotel!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank meic_watkins
Chepstow
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed here for one night as going to a concert in London. Adequate accomodation, clean but dated. Friendly staff on reception who let us into our room early and overnight accomodation was fine for what we paid (£54 for a double room). However, the breakfast is too be missed. We were the only ones there and it was help yourself to drinks and basic cereals. Fine but it was very basic and the bread was stale so we couldn't even have a nice piece of toast. The tea and coffee was out of a machine and not nice at all. If you can't have a nice cup of tea in the morning then don't bother. Overall - fine for one night only but have a breakfast elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed here by accident (long story - don't ask) and I have to say, the B&B really isn't as bad as some of the reviews on this site make out. My room was an executive double, which was clean and spacious enough for a couple. The bathroom was excellent, with what appeared to be a newly fitted, extra large bathtub and shower. The room was cleaned to a high standard every morning and I couldn't fault the staff, who were friendly and pleasant.

The free wifi was a huge bonus for me - quick access and no limits -ideal for work, or even perusing YouTube and Facebook.

The hotel was ideal for a cheap overnight stay near central in Reading. The only downsides for me were:
location: as a light sleeper, the road noise was a problem, though earplugs soon resolved that issue.
Beds: not the comfiest I've slept on, but not the worst either.

While it may not be my first choice of Hotel in the Reading area, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at returning! All in all, not a bad trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The Rainbows Lodge is conveniently located for central Reading, especially as it is a 10 minute walk away from the railway station. Another plus is that on-site parking is available free of charge to the rear of the building (although the spaces are a bit awkward to manoeuvre into). Service and check in/check out was very good, efficient and friendly.

I was given an annex next to the main building which lead out onto the main road. I wasn't put off by having an annex as it was quite convenient to be able to literally go straight into your room (which was secure and accessed through 2 locking doors). Also, as this was room appeared to have been converted from a lounge, it was a very good size indeed.

However, the condition of the room was pretty poor. The decor was past it's best, the furniture and sanitary ware in the bathroom was shabby and tired and the beds had definitely seen better days. In addition, during the conversion from lounge to self-contained annex, I think they must have scrimped on or just overlooked the installation of sound-proofing as noise from the other rooms was transmitted loud and clearly (although the road noise from outside was pretty loud anyway which helped drown out the noises of neighbours).

It wouldn't be fair to give this hotel a bad review though as you can't look at the facilities in isolation without considering the very reasonable price paid for the room. To have a hotel in central Reading with free car parking for just £40 per night warrants some drawbacks, and so long as you are prepared to not have high expectations, then the Rainbows Lodge delivers just about enough to keep it a middle of the road hotel!

Room Tip: It might be worth checking if your room is in the main hotel or if you are staying in the annex next...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends