Rainbows Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The rooms are clean and comfortable.

Very good location.

Nice reception and good service.

But the hotel is little congested and staircases are very basic.
No lift is available.

My office was near as well as Reading railway station.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank zazee14
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel is located on the busy Cavendish road halfway between the bridge and the station 5 mins walk either way. The receptionist is friendly and the rooms look basic but pleasant
...However...
The Bathroom is as basic as it's plastic decor and smelt of damp. which comes form the missing curtain rail & no safety rail in sight, make it arguably unsafe, also showers are very awkward to impossible.
As rooms are only accessible by stair, those who are not body builder will struggle.
The Management failed to reply to communication

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank T_Hotel_Inspectors
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in Rainbow for 2 months. The stay was very comfortable, hotel staff are really very co-operative and helping. The breakfast server is really good...specially the croissant..Rooms are very comfortable and neat and clean. i really enjoyed the stay for the entire 2 months.
What i didnot like was the single room, which is really cramped and it is really suffocating in the room.

Room Tip: Go for the apartments or Double rooms...it is spacious and you feel the air around..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shruthi G
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My work means I often stay away overnight and have stayed in all types of accommodation around the UK. Shame I didn't read the reviews on this one. Just went for the price as Premier Inn had managed to put up their room prices by £30 overnight! Not that I am a Premier Inn fan by any means but at least it is clean!
On the website the pictures are lovely, on first glance the room is OK, nice and warm.
I was tired and just wanted to relax and settle down for the evening so foolishly got into my pjs, made a cup of tea and turned the TV on.
It was then I realised I should have looked closer - the carpet was grubby and was sticky underfoot, the mattresses were well past their use by date, the curtains were falling off the tracks and the room smelled vaguely of damp old clothes (although that was not evident when first opening the door), the bedside lamp didn't work, the bath plug didn't seal the water in as it had so much limescale in the plug hole. One saving grace was that I thought to test the hairdryer before washing my hair in the morning as it didn't work! - it surprises me that the owners don't think this room and possibly their hotel need a facelift.
I have stayed in cleaner and smarter guest houses at half the price and would suggest that half the charged £65 would still possibly be too much.
I can't fault the staff as there appeared to be only one young foreign girl who was on reception and the breakfast. The less said about that the better I think - Just don't expect service or civility first thing in the morning. I was ignored and felt that anyone could walk in off the street and have breakfast and probably not even be noticed.
Good Points....Water Hot, Centrally placed in Reading

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jean M
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel 2 years ago. They have a nice ground floor room just next to the main hotel which is perfect for me as Im disabled. Room very spacious clean and comfortable.
My only negative is that the hotel has now been taken over from the old couple that previously ran it, and the nice English breakfast is now a "continental" one - but this was perfectly adequate. The lady on reception was very kind and helpful and let me in from the car park so didnt have to walk round to the front. She also helped me with a map of the area and local taxi numbers so I could get to my event in Reading. Very local to the station and town and would recommend this for all travellers.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in Room 24 both times by the Pelican Crossing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple