“A Bit of a Mixed Bag”

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Dunblane, United Kingdom
“A Bit of a Mixed Bag”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Having read reviews I thought I was booking into a "boutique-style" bed and breakfast but was somewhat disappointed with various aspects of our visit. I had specifically asked for a room with bath (I have a phobia about showers) and we were initially shown to Room 9 which turned out to be drab and rather grim. It was very shabby and the bathroom was not en suite but across a small landing. The toilet was in a room on the other side, and as far as we could see, had no lock on the door.

We sat for a while but the bedroom was so depressing - dark brown and cream - my daughter asked if we could move to another. The owner/manager was very helpful but explained this was the only room with a bath! He did however move us to another room with a shower only,which was much nicer, and said he could allow me to use the bath on the Saturday morning but not on the Sunday morning as the hotel would be busy and the adjoining bedroom would be let. I agreed this would be ok and went for the bath at 8.00am the following morning to find the water only lukewarm.
I reported this problem and it was soon rectified. However the bathroom was at the opposite side of the hotel to where our new room was, so not terribly convenient. My son meanwhile was in a single room on the ground floor and c omplained it was cold and noisy, and he had very little sleep. An electric heater was offered.

The breakfast was excellent. The dining room was pleasant and the service very good. Prepared to overlook the initial hiccups which were rectified to a certain extent and carried out amiably, I went to settle the bill on the sunday morning to be asked if nail polish had been spilled on the bedcover. I hadn't used nail polish but when questioned my daughter said she had, but was unaware of spilling anything or it would have been removed immedately with nail polish remover. We asked to view the bedspread and discovered a small stain (on a striped cover) which had been left after housekeeping had attempted to clean it. I was then asked for £40 to cover the cost of the cover going to a dry cleaners for spot cleaning!

I would have thought that hotel contents were covered for accidental damage through insurance and was surprised to be asked to pay for cleaning, a move which rather left a bad taste after what had been a fairly uninsipring visit.

Overall this stay was something of a mixed bag. I would certainly not recommend this hotel - nor would I stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kate109870

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed at the hotel for the purpose of a local wedding. Double room with Breakfast - £65.00 per night. Hotel was imaculate. Very quiet despite being on a main road. Breakfast was fresh and very tasty! Would def stay again if i was this neck of the woods again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louferris
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed at this lovely small hotel for three nights as a central place to see the sights of Oxford, Windsor, and London. We got a fantastic deal for the three nights on a last minute booking, and requested a room at the back of the hotel. When we arrived, our bags were carried up to the room (this didn't happen at any of the other 10 or so hotels we stayed at during our 3 weeks in July) and we were shown two rooms from which to choose - both were lovely, but we chose the smaller at the back of the hotel, overlooking the pretty garden. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed firm and comfortable, and the room very quiet and peaceful, but the best thing about this hotel was the excellent service from Umar, the manager. We were given printed out maps, detailed directions, and all the help we could need to make our stay stress free and very pleasant. Couldn't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annemnzn
Bath
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Good-sized family room on the ground floor - not at all noisy considering we were overlooking a main road. Very good value for money and a well-cooked generous breakfast.
Decor and furnishings in bedroom were a little tired, but beds were perfectly comfortable and bathroom was very clean. An excellent choice for travellers on a budget, especially families.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sb693000
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I was booked in to the Beech House Hotel by an accommodation agency following a burst pipe at my own house. I was immediately made to feel at home by Umar, the owner, who personally checked me in and offered to help with my luggage.

The building was originally a large, detached Victorian home and the decor is traditional yet fresh, and a welcome change from anonymous chains. My room, a double on the first floor, was very well furnished and en-suite (with a power shower), wifi access and large freeview TV. (Satellite channels are available in the comfortable residents' sitting room). A full English breakfast is available, as well as lighter options, in the light and airy morning room that looks out onto a well-kept garden.

Parking is free at the front of the hotel, which is set back from the main road, giving easy access to the town centre and major routes without background noise. A restaurant/bar immediately opposite offers food though to 10pm, so lunch or evening meals are also to hand.

This is truly a hidden gem of a property and I am not surprised that many business people book here repeatedly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank AlunEOxford_UK
Yarnfield
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Very good welcome from staff. Good clean hotel , very good breakfast would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TonyYarnfield
Suffolk
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My second stay at the hotel but this time as a couple, we were greeted enthusiastically, sat in the plush lounge to do the registration and then escorted to the room having our bags carried for us. Lovely room, all mod cons, big bathroom. Had a struggle to get to the wardrobe as it was behind the TV but nothing that couldnt' be overcome. Good tea and coffee choice.
My partner said the bed was too hard and that he wasn't comfortable all night but his snoring belied this. He really enjoyed the breakfast as did I.
We needed a taxi which was arranged for us. Lovely garden to sit out in. Coffe/tea, water available, nice lounge though we didn't use it.
A lovely off centre base that is better than value for money,

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business