“Nice and comfortable”
Review of Beech House Hotel

Beech House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Stayed at Beech House Hotel for four night while visiting Reading for business. It was a pleasant surprise. The hotel is run by the gentleman who owns the place, and he really does put an effort into making you welcome and comfortable.

The room I stayed in was nice and clean, with a large king size bed and all the amenities you need.

Free wifi internet and full English breakfast - it's a deal!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank n.balba

Reviewed 14 February 2008

I've now given up trying to find a decent hotel in Basingstoke for my occasional overnights in that area, and so decided that Reading was close enough but might offer more of a choice in accommodation. On the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews I booked this hotel at short notice. An indication of the way this place runs was when I offered my credit card to guarantee the room but was told not to worry as I "sounded like a man of my word"!

Parking is off road and directly outside and I had a single room on the ground floor (the last available) which although not spacious had everything I could have needed – quiet with a comfortable bed with good quality linens, a generous ensuite with powerful shower, high quality fittings throughout and the whole place immaculately clean and tidy.

Breakfast was excellent in a delightful room with a good choice of cold buffet to start followed by full English or whichever elements you wished all served by friendly and attentive staff.

This is a perfect example of how good a small hotel can be and I wasn't surprised to see that it was full of business people who were obviously regulars. Who in their right mind would choose to stay in a faceless corporate entity when this place, with its genuinely personal feel and friendly staff is available and probably at less cost too.

Highly recommended and I'd certainly go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
7  Thank ratherbeathome
Reviewed 2 August 2007

What a charming Hotel, immaculate in every way, so elegant and the staff were helpful and attentive. Mr.Bissell the owner made us very welcome and was so helpful. The Hotel is spotlessly clean and the bedroom was extremely comfortable. The breakfast was served beautifully in the dining room overlooking a fabulous garden. We were fortunate enough to have lovely weather and so were able to sit outside for morning coffee and relax. We really did not want to leave but we will return. Angela and John Harlow, Gwynedd.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank kateen
Reviewed 24 July 2007

I have stayed at the Beech House Hotel regularly for the last 3 years as I work in the centre of Reading three days a week.

The Beech House was recommended to me by a colleague due to its location (15 min walk to city centre/5 minute drive even in traffic), value for money and high standards.

As a corporate traveller it ticks all the fundamentals e.g. very comfy, and large beds, perfect showers, and a great breakfast. The Beech House also goes one further by providing meticulously maintained facilities and plenty of free and safe parking. Most important, however, is the friendly, family run atmosphere. Mr Bissell, the proprietor, can't do enough to help e.g. even personally chauffered me to the centre of town when I was pushed for time one morning.

In summary, great hotel for corporate stay or a traveller staying in Reading and/or visiting the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
8  Thank Adam P
Reviewed 7 July 2007

Had 2 nights at the hotel for the Henley Regatta and really enjoyed my brief stay. Key points were...
- Traditional British small hotel
- A sitting room that you want to sit in
- Beautiful (typically English) garden
- Excellent breakfast (cooked with pride on immaculate linen)
- Well decorated in keeping with property
- Impressive facade
- Old-fashioned (i.e. respectful) staff - who care
- Sufficient parking
- Room was quiet despite hotel being full

Anything wrong - not really. No bar is the only thing I can think of. But there's one just across the road, and lack of bar probably keeps the hotel quieter too. I will be going back - enough said! This is how a small hotel should be.

PS - The breakfast can (optionally) include black pudding (blood sausage) when available. It's nice to see such an extra (and traditional) touch. As I say, they have a pride in what they do, and it shows.

Oh! and no price hike during the Regatta. A pat on the back for that too.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank FYB
Reviewed 19 May 2007

Just finished a 5 night stay at the Beech House and I enjoyed every minute of it. The staff are very helpful and courteous. The rooms are kept in immaculate condition and are very well presented.

Breakfast was excellent and served quickly, plenty to keep you going until Lunchtime! For evening meals the Beefeater across the road provides and excellent service and good quality food.

There is a small bar at the Beech House providing tea and coffee's at all times of the day for free.

The garden at the rear of the Hotel is excellently presented and quite inviting for evenings sit down with a nice cup of tea!

I will defiantly be re-visiting this Hotel when im in the area.

Also, it is just a 20 minute walk to The Oracle in Reading city centre where there are plenty of eating places.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank DavidM23
Reviewed 18 February 2007

I stayed at the Beech House Hotel for 5 nights (Feb 12th-17th) and MY WORD...what a fabulous and charming hotel. Although I was in the UK for business, staying at this quaint and peaceful hotel made it seem more like a vacation!

The hotel itself is immaculately clean and the decor/ambience was just plain lovely. However, that alone is not what made my stay so perfect. It was the outstanding SERVICE that made my stay a home away from home. I was treated more like an old family friend or close relative, rather than a mere guest. This was my first trip "across the pond", as I'm an American and live on the East Coast.

Well, as I stated previous, my stay was absolutely PERFECT. Every morning, the breakfast was terrific and just plain YUMMY! My room was so very cozy and pleasant. I choose this hotel (even this hotel was some 45 minutes away from my training facilities), because after hours of researching hotels in the Camberley area, my wife insisted that this would be the best choice for me (and right she was). I am so GLAD that I did choose this hotel--(and you will be too). The extra travel time and expense was more than worth it, and the cost of my stay at the Beech House was very reasonable as well.

Every evening I "wandered" around the area and found the most excellent restaurant to eat dinner at every night. I thoroughly enjoy my evening walks around town and to and from the restarant and area. The restaurant is called The Beef Eater's Pub.

My *ONLY* regret is that I didn't bring my wife to enjoy this pleasant, comfy and enchanting week long experience. We will definitely come back to the UK one day and when we do...we'll gladly stay at the The Beech House Hotel, FOR SURE!

Thank you Michael & Beech House Staff for making my stay a GREAT one!

Mr. McM