“A Lovely, Clean and Quite Hotel”
Review of Beech House Hotel

Beech House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Stayed here for three nights in one if the luxury King Sized bedrooms in the main house. The room was lovely and clean and rooms also come with free Wi-Fi which was excellent. The breakfast was also excellent and freshly cooked. The hotel is on quite a busy road but foung traffic noise no problem. It is only 10 minutes to Reading Station by a cab, there is also a bus stop down the road if thats what you want.
Not much arounf just a beefeater across a busy road.

But all in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan_Whicker
There are newer reviews for Beech House Hotel

Reviewed 23 October 2008

I stayed for one night on a work trip. It's a lovely buiding set back from the main road. The staff are really friendly and helpful and my room was a really good size with a big comfortable bed and great shower. Very clean with a few nice touches.

The breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of cold buffet and nicely cooked fry-up. Again, excellent service too.

Generally really good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Hard_Woman
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Reading other reviews here of Beech House, you'd get the idea that it's some kind of other-worldly experience. It's nice but far from exceptional, in my opinion. I stayed for 3 nights in a good-sized and comfortable room (15) that managed to avoid the English hotel disease of over heating. Facing the rear garden, it was also quiet and a good sleep was not hard to get. The bathroom was of a good size but lacked shelves. The shower spluttered a bit and I found that at position 8 it was warm and at position 9 it was scalding, so fairly precise adjustments needed. The bathroom had no heating so it was a bit cold - must be freezing in January.
Staff were generally helpful though I found a yawning gap in terms of attention and attitude between the receptionist one day and the other one the next. One was as helpful as can be, the other almost brusque.
Breakfast is ample but nothing special for the UK - cold toast and cool coffee.
Wifi was available but no signal in my room and my Sony Vaio only got 'acquiring network address' in the lounge so it didn't work. When I asked about it, there was general shrugging of shoulders. Well, OK.
As another reviewer has said - if you're coming by car and using a Tom Tom GPS, it'll take you to the wrong place. Is the postcode the hotel gives the correct one?
Well, overall a nice hotel but note that it is not at all central. So if you don't mind driving into the town or taking transport, it's a good bet and good value for the money (I paid 88 sterling per night all in for a single room). Would give it 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank JeffStranks
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I booked this hotel for my family when they came over to visit me when I was a student in Reading, they simply loved it. The rooms are very cleanl, large and comfortable, the staff is very kind. When at night you get back to the hotel you really feel like coming back home. My adviceis: if you are going to Reading, book this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled with family
3  Thank Minerva82
Reviewed 22 June 2008

The Beech House Hotel is a small hotel on the main road 2 miles from the M5 into Reading. The post code on Tom Tom does not find it correctly, which we will report to Tom Tom. Michael was very kind to direct us via mobile/cell while we traveled further than anticipated down Bath Road.
We were welcomed with a cup of tea and a chat with Michael about what we were doing in UK in our Morgan car. He then directed us to an excellent restaurant "Chi" on Oxford Road for dinner. Michael was very hospitable and very proud of his hotel.
The hotel is immaculate and not missing any items including wireless internet in our room. We had a large room with a king bed and crisp sheets. The bed was a bit soft for our liking, but very comfortable. The shower was fantastic. There was no bathtub in our 2nd story room, which did not matter to us.
We did need to leave the window open for air as it was a bit muggy and rainy in London. As the hotel is on the main road, that meant a bit of road noise. I do not believe the hotel has air conditioning, so if it is warm and noise bothers you, let Michael know when you make the reservation so he can provide the quietest room. If noise really bothers you, or it is very hot in London, I would stay where there is air conditioning.The breakfast was the traditional English fare, plenty of it and nicely labeled and prepared. By American standards, nothing out of the ordinary but perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Morgan_Travelers
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Stayed at Beech House Hotel for four night while visiting Reading for business. It was a pleasant surprise. The hotel is run by the gentleman who owns the place, and he really does put an effort into making you welcome and comfortable.

The room I stayed in was nice and clean, with a large king size bed and all the amenities you need.

Free wifi internet and full English breakfast - it's a deal!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank n.balba
Reviewed 14 February 2008

I've now given up trying to find a decent hotel in Basingstoke for my occasional overnights in that area, and so decided that Reading was close enough but might offer more of a choice in accommodation. On the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews I booked this hotel at short notice. An indication of the way this place runs was when I offered my credit card to guarantee the room but was told not to worry as I "sounded like a man of my word"!

Parking is off road and directly outside and I had a single room on the ground floor (the last available) which although not spacious had everything I could have needed – quiet with a comfortable bed with good quality linens, a generous ensuite with powerful shower, high quality fittings throughout and the whole place immaculately clean and tidy.

Breakfast was excellent in a delightful room with a good choice of cold buffet to start followed by full English or whichever elements you wished all served by friendly and attentive staff.

This is a perfect example of how good a small hotel can be and I wasn't surprised to see that it was full of business people who were obviously regulars. Who in their right mind would choose to stay in a faceless corporate entity when this place, with its genuinely personal feel and friendly staff is available and probably at less cost too.

Highly recommended and I'd certainly go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business