“Luxury stay, great breakfast, very comfortable”
Review of Beech House Hotel

Beech House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I had to stay over as I was taking exams and needed to be near Shinfield and Reading Uni. The proprietor knew I was studying and needed a quiet room, on arrival he met me by name, carried in my suitcase and assured me that I would be able to revise and relax.
I stayed in a small double, with tea/coffee making facilities, big ensuite, fantastic towels, shower gel, shampoo in lovely bottles. The bed was really comfortable, gorgeous decoration, a closet, freeview tv, telephone and access to broadband.
The breakfast was very good, nice big English, you choose what you would like from 7am, with cereal, cafetiere coffee, big pots of tea, fruit etc. Attention to detail and attentive service.
There is a car park outside, nearby beefeater but I would recommend the short drive through the park to the Harvester.
I had a lovely comfortable stay, it was just what I needed at this stressful time. There is a nice dining room, comfortable lounge with TV, tea/coffee bar.
Definately recommend this due to the comfort factor and its proximity to Reading town centre and surrounding villages.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Jacqueline C

Reviewed 13 December 2009

The Beech House Hotel in Reading is advertising executive rooms for the upper class traveller.

The hotel is conveniently located at the A4-Bath Road close to the city centre. It is offering ample parking space and easy access to London and the West.

Entering the hotel one is greeted by Ali, the owner. The hotel has a very nice and clean ambience featuring a comfortable lounge, a nice breakfast room and some vending facilities for coffee, tea and water.

The room, I did have an executive single, looked very smart and clean. Unfortunately , it only looked smart but was some distance away from being it.

First the tea table. This furniture was made entirely from plywood with a table cloth thrown over it.

Secondly, the divan bed was cheap as well and very uncomfortable. It was making noises and I had the constant feeling to slide out of it because it just did not feel right.

The chair was another cheap assembly and not comfortable at all.

The room was quiet and warm. In fact, it was to warm because the radiator had no thermostat and couldn't be adjusted. No noise was coming from the busy road or from adjourning rooms.

The bathroom was very clean and well presented with a very powerful shower.

The wireless internet access was faultless and fast. I was amazed it was free as I have just spent £49 at the Comfort Hotel Reading West for 7 days access.

The breakfast as offered was not very nice nor was the maid (polish) who prepared and served it. The Breakfast was soggy and greasy and not cooked properly. The coffee was not drinkable and one would better order a tea instead.

To sum it up - The hotel is a treat but not executive. It is well presented and clean but an upgrade on some of the furniture would make it miles better.
The maid needs some lesson about customer services and cooking a proper 'Full English'.
The owner is a real gentleman and will welcome you at his very best. The Beech Hotel is a good tip for the room prices and will offer clean and well looked after accommodation. It is well suitable for longer stays.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nighthawk1456
Reviewed 13 October 2009

After our first stay, also reviewed on here we had contact with another member about this Hotel, and needing to stay in Reading again we decided to give it another go!
We booked a King Room and were given No 9, a large upstairs room with a separate loo and bathroom.
The room was quiet with TV, good storage tea and coffee makings and a large comfy bed, now the loo and Bathroom are across the separate landing, indeed from the Breakfast room you can see up to the landing and we felt privacy was a little lacking, even if there is no reason for anyone other than Room 9's occupants to be up there! I had a chat with the owner about this and due to fire regs a door is not permitted at the top of the stairs, however I did suggest a curtain which he said would be given some thought.
Breakfast was nice too, we were given a choice of eggs with our full English along with white or brown toast, there was also a much better selection of fruit and cereal than on our last visit.
Overall the Hotel is spotless, quiet and peaceful, nice.
So yes it does pay to sometimes give a Hotel a second chance, indeed we are just about to book there again for our next visit at the end of the month.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neilb62
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Booked my room at the last minute. Was doing some sightseeing in the area and decided to stay in Reading overnight. This seemed to have good reviews on the whole so thought I'd give it a try. Am so glad I did!

Conveniently located, plenty of parking and a charming looking property. The inside of the hotel was spotlessley clean, decorated to a very high standard with good quality furnishings and felt very comfortable indeed. Check-in was speedy and I was shown the dining room and garden before being shown to my room (I was also shown where I could get more tea and coffee in case I used up the complimentary supply provided in my room).

I had booked a single room and was given no. 8. A very nice, quiet room which had everything I needed. The bathroom was spacious as was the room itself, which was decorated very nicely and I got a good nights' sleep in the comfy bed. The card that operated the lock to my room door also operated the door at the front of the hotel so I was able to come as go as I pleased.

My room was next to the dining room but I wasn't all disturbed in the morning like I thought I might have been. Breakfast was lovely...plenty of fruit, cereals and juice to choose from and service was quick and friendly. Having taken a seat, I was soon asked if I'd like tea or fresh coffee and if I'd like a full breakfast (which was very good!). I noticed other guests asking for variations to the breakfast and this seemingly wasn't a problem (i.e. scrambled eggs on toast instead of full breakfast etc).

Check out was quick and easy and I found the gentleman (presumably the owner?) very friendly and helpful both when I arrived and when I left. The hotel had plenty of information about local events and attractions too.

I found staying at the Beech House Hotel a very pleasant experience. Lovely hotel, comfortable room, great breakfast, friendly staff, ample parking all at a great price! You will not regret booking your stay here...thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Nigel1973
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Our family stayed at the Beech House Hotel end of July, beginning of August 2009 for five nights. Since we have two teenaged sons, 12 and 16, we rented two rooms and we were quite happy with both of them.
One of the rooms had a comfortable king size bed. It had a separate, spacious bathroom with a modern shower as well as a tub and another separate bathroom with sink and toilet. We almost had our own little suite. Everything was very clean and in perfect working order. The room for our boys had a queen size bed, was nicely furnished as was our bedroom. The windows were new double windows, so both rooms were very quiet. When we had any questions, the stuff was always helpful, even went out of their way to help charge my Nikon camera which has an American plug. (I had forgotten the adapter for England.) Contrary to a previous review, we did not experience that the front door was always locked. The Wifi worked well, with the right password and the breakfast was fine. They served an English breakfast, choice of eggs, toast and freshly brewed tea or coffee. They also offered yoghurt, cereal, and a toaster to prepare the toast to one's liking. There was a lovely garden and my younger son enjoyed the cozy lounge for reading. Overall the Beech House Hotel is lovely decorated inside. The only thing that was not to my taste was the choice of air-freshener that was used, it had a bit of a sweet smell to it. This hotel is very well priced, and I can recommend it as a great starting point to explore London. It takes only a few minutes by taxi to get to the train station and there is an excellent connection from Reading to London, Paddington Station.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank 1christine1
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July on business. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hotel is immaculately clean. We have stayed in a few hotels in Reading and some are awful this is the best by far and very reasonably priced for that area. The bedrooms are spacious and there is a lovely lounge and dining area. They also have an area where you can help yourselves to a variety of teas and coffees in addition to the tea and coffee provided in your room.
This hotel is a bed and breakfast only but is right across the road from a beefeater pub/restaraunt

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jenpetLancashire
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Having weighed up the £100+ options of average chain hotels in Reading, I decided to go for this value option at £75, including parking, breakfast and free WiFi (these can easily add up to £30 at chain hotels...) The previous reviews for Beech House put me at ease, and I felt confident about going for this.

Unfortunately, there were a few aspects of the place that didn't come up to scratch. First, if you're looking for internet access, you can't rely on the WiFi. The signal was there, but my laptop wouldn't get past the "acquiring address" stage, and the owner was unable to assist. This meant I had to head off to the town centre and pay £7 at the Mercure to get online. Highly inconvenient.

Second, the room is a disappointment. It was very dated, with old furniture, old TV, Corby press rather than an iron and board, and old blankets on the bed. If you do need to do some ironing, at least you can use the ironing room, tucked away somewhere beyond the kitchens. There's an old flat iron in there and an board with a teatowel over it.

On the plus side, all the staff were very pleasant, owner included, and he did seem concerned about the internet access thing. Hopefully he reads this and sorts his router out. The breakfast was pretty nice though - toast burnt, but full English and tea spot on.

For dinner, there's a Beefeater opposite - watch out crossing that busy road!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business