“Old hotel with small rooms, but clean and warm”

Mercure George Hotel Reading
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Lille, France
“Old hotel with small rooms, but clean and warm”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Location: Very central, excellent
Building: Really old. I had a to climb a lot of narrow stairs to reach my room, having luggage makes it even harder.
Rooms: Very small rooms with small beds. I almost fell out of the bed many times the first night. The bathroom was big compared to the room, and had hot water so it was ok. The room was warm and clean.
Breakfast: English or Continental, tasted very good. The English breakfast can be only ordered if the hotel is empty, but it's a buffet if the hotel is full.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Stuart Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Overall, I'm glad I stayed. I was interested in this hotel due to its history, but thought some of the modernizations and renovations could have been done better to retain the hotel's interest.
I was booked for 2 nights, but due to a flight delay didn't arrive until the morning after my first night, so only slept here 1 night, but had 2 breakfasts, one on arrival (before it shut down at 10:30) and one before departure. Breakfast was buffet style and had the basics for an english breakfast as well as some continental breakfast items, and nice coffee. The breakfast area is just beyond the "pub" area and breakfast customers could spread into the pub area. This was on the ground floor with a low ceiling and seemed ill-laid out. It felt like being in someone's parents' basement with support columns cutting up the room a bit awkwardly. Quite soulless but does the job in the morning. I wouldn't come here for a drink or meal later in the day.
The rest of the public areas of the hotel had much more charm as I expected due to its history as arguably the oldest existing building in Reading. The courtyard was small but attractive, with the exception of the scaffolding around the building while I was there (July 2013).
I stayed in an executive room, 317, or the Martin Chuzzlewit. It faced a building next door, but was quiet. I hear some rooms have street noise, but mine was quiet. The room was fine: clean, serviceable, a decent size, but not terribly attractive. It had a double bed, TV, a seating area with 2 leather armchairs and small table and I think I recall a desk. Chocolates and water were offered, plus a coffee maker. There was an ironing board and a fan, neither of which I used. The towel rack in the bathroom which looked like the heating kind, didn't.
Check in and out was easy and quick. The desk clerk in the evening recommended an excellent dinner place nearby, the London Street Brasserie, which I appreciated. There was no parking at the hotel, but they suggest a carpark (Queen's Road NCP) about 1/3 of a mile away; about a 5 minute walk, which was a tiny bother with a big suitcase and carryon bag. I believe it cost about 15 pounds for about 24 hours.
It was easy to walk to everywhere in central Reading from the hotel which makes it a great choice if that's important to you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here i really value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure George in Reading

crowland, lincolnshire, uk
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I spend my life telling everyone that all I need from a hotel is a clean room a decent shower and a comfortable bed. Two out of three here. The hotel is old and as others have said, floors uneven, headroom in some doorways challenging and my car is parked somewhere across the international date line, none of which really matters.

Room well lit and bed very small (ok for one night I suppose) and bed too soft for my comfort. Unusual in Accor group hotels. Staff correct rather than cordial. Alas nothing at this hotel would make me want to return. I felt as if I had been sofa surfing with a host I never met before creeping out.

Overpriced for what it offers. I saw on the reception desk that various other guests had a double room with breakfast at a significantly lower rate. I understand the variable pricing model, but when will hoteliers learn not to flaunt the results in this way?

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mozart21
Sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and i will look into the comments you made.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had really looked forwards to my visit here as I love historic buildings and this certainly met my expectations. I had a great room away from everyone and it was very comfortable and spacious. Unfortunately the heating couldn't be turned off so I opened both windows to the maximum allowed, which wasn't a hardship as I prefer that. I wasn't prepared for the noise from the street, though, early the next morning! Not the fault of the hotel, but it would have helped if the heating thermostat had worked.
Sadly, I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the bed linen, and although the bathroom was nicely furnished and modern, the inside of the shower had mildew and didn't look that clean. Such a shame. As others have observed, the breakfast wasn't up to much, and not very inviting. Staff seemed to steer clear of guests except when going in and coming out and I personally felt very uncomfortable.
The location is obviously the selling point, as well as the stunning architecture, but that's it. It could have been so different.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
I am sorry that you had some issues during your recent stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and will investigate the comments made. I was pleased to read that you liked the character of the building.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

There are pictures of rooms on the internet which almost convince me that I must have stayed in a different hotel.

My room was rather small, with ancient furniture, and I didn't need a spirit level to convince me that it was severely out of kilter. However, after descending to the bathroom the floor became much more level.

Quirkiness can, of course, make for a great tourist hotel, but the George doesn’t have the necessary decor in the communal areas. The bar is very plain and I was less than impressed that only real ale on offer was so badly off that it was approaching vinegar. I was told that some people had said it was OK, but others had agreed with me.
Having ventured out into Reading for an office Christmas meal I was slightly perturbed to find the gates to the courtyard locked on my return.

Breakfast, included in the price, was the normal hotel warmed buffet variety served in a rather small room next to the bar.

Overall a disappointing experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading. The Bar has just been refurbished and has been well received by our guests. I will look into your comments regarding the real ale.
As a historical hotel it would be very difficult to have all floors completely level as it would take alot of the character of the building away.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss further

Stuart Hall

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We were staying in Reading overnight to attend Christmas function in another hotel that was rather pricey,so we booked here. Right in the centre of Reading shopping area...10 mins walk from railway station. Pleasant room, nice and warm,comfortable bed and good size en suite with a bath,nice and quiet.Very good value, although no breakfast included.Walked few minutes to the 'oracle' shopping,lots of different places to have breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sue_upfield
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.