Mercure George Hotel Reading
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$82
US$77
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$88
CrownePlaza.com
US$60
US$57
Hotels.com
US$76
US$69
Beech House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$103
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$98
Priceline
  • Pool
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$64
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewslovely buildingoracle shopping centretrouser pressnespresso machinewould stay againtrain stationsuperior roomfull englishone night stayriverside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2014

After finding this was the only hotel available on the night i needed to stay in reading i reluctantly booked... i wish i hadn't.

The hotel is far from quaint and nowhere near modern. Its like the whole building is trapped not quite sure what to do to keep up with the other hotels in Reading. Even the George's budget price cannot or should not justify a stay.

Within the room the decor was well just odd - i had a twin room that was too dimly lit to actually do any work and too weird to want to sit in and watch tv. The beds felt as old as the hotel and whilst only 6' tall the duvet wasn't long enough to prevent my feet sticking out the end.

It seems what little money has been put into refurbishing my room in the last 10 years was put into the 'sparkly' black bathroom worktop - shame the cleaner hadn't bothered to clean the various very obvious dirty splashes and red marks off the tiles around the sink. The worktop seemed to be the only addition in the last 20 years and did look a little strange against the vintage looking taps and well everything else in the room.

The ironing bored fixed to the wall must have been from a time when the general population were around a foot shorter as i was not able to actually iron a sleeve or panel from my shirt without having to do it in multiple sections - almost defeating the point but the crowning moment of this hotel came from when i tried to sleep...

I have a very strong suspicion that the beds in my room were far from level, and actually tilted slightly (probably due to very uneven floors) so my feet were higher up than my head - this resulted in a not far from death choking fit about an hour into my sleep as acid pooled in the back of my throat, not understanding why this happened after drinking copious glasses of water to put the burning feeling in my throat out i proceeded to try sleeping again, only for the same thing to happen less than an hour later. For fear of a third episode I resorted to sleeping sat up which was far from good in the morning with a busy day ahead.
I travel quite a lot with work and i can assure you this has never happened in ANY other hotel or in fact ever and if faced with having to stay in the george again i would probably look to rearrange meetings instead of trying to survive another night.

There isn't a gym on site as far as i know but that wont matter given the crystal maze style stair cases you will need to navigate to get to most rooms which when carrying luggage will likely be a sufficient workout.

There are far older, far nicer hotels in the country that can make this type of 'old' building work, its just a shame this is not the case here given its amazing location right next to 'The Oracle' where you can get a nice bite to eat.

When a front desk doesn't ask any one on checkout 'how was your stay' i think it sums a lot up - they don't ask the question as they don't want to know the answer....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank evilbADGer
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I am sorry on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading.
I can assure you your comments are being looked into.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I could have stayed anywhere, but thought the idea of staying in the oldest building in Reading a nice idea. The staff were very helpful and at least grimaced when I asked about how many sets of steps were involved in getting my huge case to my room. There were lots, the difficult bit was the poor signage to find the room. All the way up past the major damp (not unexpected in such an old building) which was very smelly. The room was 3 star, what I really liked was the Arts and Crafts furniture. The bed was soft and comfortable and the heater very good. A great nights sleep. Breakfast was a bit odd it felt a bit like eating in a storeroom with all the boxes. There was also so very loud people whose conversation was very funny, but even the TV news could not drown them out. Would I stay again undecided.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments, some of which we have addressed.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Location: Very central, excellent
Building: Really old. I had a to climb a lot of narrow stairs to reach my room, having luggage makes it even harder.
Rooms: Very small rooms with small beds. I almost fell out of the bed many times the first night. The bathroom was big compared to the room, and had hot water so it was ok. The room was warm and clean.
Breakfast: English or Continental, tasted very good. The English breakfast can be only ordered if the hotel is empty, but it's a buffet if the hotel is full.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Overall, I'm glad I stayed. I was interested in this hotel due to its history, but thought some of the modernizations and renovations could have been done better to retain the hotel's interest.
I was booked for 2 nights, but due to a flight delay didn't arrive until the morning after my first night, so only slept here 1 night, but had 2 breakfasts, one on arrival (before it shut down at 10:30) and one before departure. Breakfast was buffet style and had the basics for an english breakfast as well as some continental breakfast items, and nice coffee. The breakfast area is just beyond the "pub" area and breakfast customers could spread into the pub area. This was on the ground floor with a low ceiling and seemed ill-laid out. It felt like being in someone's parents' basement with support columns cutting up the room a bit awkwardly. Quite soulless but does the job in the morning. I wouldn't come here for a drink or meal later in the day.
The rest of the public areas of the hotel had much more charm as I expected due to its history as arguably the oldest existing building in Reading. The courtyard was small but attractive, with the exception of the scaffolding around the building while I was there (July 2013).
I stayed in an executive room, 317, or the Martin Chuzzlewit. It faced a building next door, but was quiet. I hear some rooms have street noise, but mine was quiet. The room was fine: clean, serviceable, a decent size, but not terribly attractive. It had a double bed, TV, a seating area with 2 leather armchairs and small table and I think I recall a desk. Chocolates and water were offered, plus a coffee maker. There was an ironing board and a fan, neither of which I used. The towel rack in the bathroom which looked like the heating kind, didn't.
Check in and out was easy and quick. The desk clerk in the evening recommended an excellent dinner place nearby, the London Street Brasserie, which I appreciated. There was no parking at the hotel, but they suggest a carpark (Queen's Road NCP) about 1/3 of a mile away; about a 5 minute walk, which was a tiny bother with a big suitcase and carryon bag. I believe it cost about 15 pounds for about 24 hours.
It was easy to walk to everywhere in central Reading from the hotel which makes it a great choice if that's important to you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here i really value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure George in Reading

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I spend my life telling everyone that all I need from a hotel is a clean room a decent shower and a comfortable bed. Two out of three here. The hotel is old and as others have said, floors uneven, headroom in some doorways challenging and my car is parked somewhere across the international date line, none of which really matters.

Room well lit and bed very small (ok for one night I suppose) and bed too soft for my comfort. Unusual in Accor group hotels. Staff correct rather than cordial. Alas nothing at this hotel would make me want to return. I felt as if I had been sofa surfing with a host I never met before creeping out.

Overpriced for what it offers. I saw on the reception desk that various other guests had a double room with breakfast at a significantly lower rate. I understand the variable pricing model, but when will hoteliers learn not to flaunt the results in this way?

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mozart21

Sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and i will look into the comments you made.