“Awful”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

If you like damp, mould and smells this hotel is for you. Shoddy, scruffy, down market. Rip off. Avoid. The first room was mouldy so I was given another. The decor is terrible - chipped, wallpaper fallen off the walls, etc. the corridors are dark. The restaurant has a limited menu, is draughty and has no atmosphere. You have to pay for wifi. A run down hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Misgsy123
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I am sorry on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am investigating your comments. Please feel free to e-mail me to discuss further.

Stuart Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
East Linton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was looking fro somewhere to stay for a few days at a price that my Company would agree to pay and the central location (walking distance to trains and bus) made this an ideal choice
Navigating the stairs nearly proved fatal but it was largely my fault trying to open a fire door to get access to the 4th floor while holding 2 cases its what you expect in an olde worlde hotel
The staff were very friendly and I had a bar snack of a curry in the evening which was very reasonably priced and more than I could eat.
Breakfast was excellent on Monday morning as the hotel was quiet my cooked breakfast was made and served in a few minutes - the buffet breakfast the following day was ok but I am never impressed what a buffet breakfast does to scrambled eggs.
The room was clean everything worked and loads of hot water
I would certainly considering staying here again provided i got the same price for people who do not have to worry about car parking the central location of this hotel makes it a good choice.

Room Tip: watch out for the narrow stairs it is part of the charm...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading and i look forward to your next visit.

Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I like this hotel. Yes, it is quirky. Yes, once beyond reception it's a little maze. Yes, it's right in the town centre and, if you are unlucky, you can look out your window directly into the top deck of a bus. But, for me, all this just adds to the character.

No two rooms are the same - forget the typical rectangle with a bathroom directly inside the door, this hotel is an aging coaching in. The rooms can be square, wedge or cake slice in shape. Yet, i've found, they are all uniformally clean and tidy - and that what I want.

Room Tip: I just take pot luck with the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for your very kind words. They are much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George in Reading.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Moray, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a good value hotel right in the centre of Reading, they have quite a few single rooms I think and this one was definitely better than the others I've been in so I have given a four this time based on the room, cost and sleep quality. Perhaps good advice is if your not happy with your room perhaps ask for another... The location and layout make all the difference.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George Reading and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

East of England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

As my usual hotel was not available (again!), I had limited choice of hotels in the Reading area, which would be easy to get to from the train station, and was in my budget. The previous week I had tried the ibis hotel in Reading (see my review) and whilst that was perfectly functional, I wanted to try somewhere else, so I booked for 3 nights into the Mercure George Hotel.

The hotel is only a 2-3 minute walk from Reading train station, and is based right on the main shopping thoroughfare (and next to the Oracle shopping centre). This is great if you want to hit the shops when staying here, and its really accessible from local transport.

Upon arrival, you walk through a court yard to the entrance, and you will see that this is a really old building, and that it has a lot of character. The general appearance from the outside is fairly good, and everything was tidy and clean.

The reception desk is right inside the front door, and the check in process was quick and efficient, yet I was not given the standard information such as where to find breakfast in the morning, or offered newspapers or wake up calls. That is fine, as I did not want any of that anyway, but its what most people expect to hear. I was provided with my room card, and directions to my room.

Please be aware, and this is no fault of the hotel really, as the building is very old, but there are no lifts, so if you are unable to manage stairs with heavy luggage, you might want to think twice about this hotel. I am sure if you ask the staff, they would be more than happy to assist you with your luggage, but there are a lot of stairs here. For me, it was not an issue, but I would think someone with mobility issues could find it hard. The route to my room was via 5 sets of stairs, through various doors. The corridors are reasonably lit, but the decor is very dated by today's standards. It is very much 80's twee, and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just not my taste.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that I found some of the floors to be very creaky and some were a little uneven. Again, I cannot complain about this, as the hotel is in a very old building, and to be honest, the floors are OK, but if you were someone with mobility issues, you may struggle a little.

The door key opened the door first time (and every time) and I went into my room. It consisted of a walk in bathroom, single bed, wardrobe, TV stand with Tea & Coffee underneath and a small desk and chair. All very functional. The room was reasonably clean and tidy, as was the bathroom.

I did encounter some issues whilst I stayed at the hotel, and I shall list them in the order in which caused me most discomfort.

First of all, I like to sleep in a well ventilated and cool room, and quite understandably, this hotel does not have air-conditioning. This left me with only one real option, and that was to open the windows in the room, which was fine. This time of year, the night air is very cool and it cooled the room down nicely. What I had not bargained for, was the amount of noise that would come from the street. I fully appreciate that this is out of the hotel's control, as the hotel is located in a city centre, but I would consistently woken during the early hours of the morning but revelers out in the street who were shouting and balling about this or that. By 3am, most of that seemed to settle down, but this was replaced by a lot of traffic noise from around 5am. I witnessed road sweepers, refuse lorries and a large number of buses going past my room that made sleeping very difficult indeed. If you are happy to sleep with the windows closed, I dare say the issue will be dramatically reduced, but for me, this was simply terrible!

The bed that I had was a single, and whilst I cannot say it was uncomfortable, it wasn't comfortable either. The mattress was very soft and springy, and was just not to my taste at all, and add to this the noise issue, then it was never going to be a good situation. I found myself getting at at 6.15am (usually 7.15am) due to the bed and noise.

All of the power sockets are on one side of the room, which happens to be the opposite side to where the bed is! In this day and age, a lot of us use our mobile phones for alarm clocks, and like to have our phones by the bed, and plugged in charging. This is just not possible in the room that I had. There were in total, 3 mains sockets available, which should be plenty for most people.

The TV is a fairly modern, but small, LCD unit, but the sound from the one in my room was actually very poor indeed. The sound was tinny and thin and after an hour or two, I just had to turn off the TV to get some respite from the noise! I tried adjusting the sound settings on the TV to no avail, so I can only assume that there is either a fault with the TV, or the speakers in the TV were of very poor quality. Picture quality was OK, and the normal selection of Freeview channels were on offer. I did find the picture cut out a few times when I was watching it.

Finally, the shower unit is positioned over the bath. I get why hotels do this, as some people prefer to have a bath, but I am someone who prefers to shower. I have a great distrust of showers over baths, since I took a hefty tumble in one a couple of years ago. To be fair, there is a large and strudy handrail on the wall, but how the bathroom is laid out is really flawed. Attached to the bath is a large glass shower screen, so large that if you open it away from the bath, it leaves little room between the toilet and edge of the bath to be able to climb in. Move the screen into the bath, so you have more room, and the shower glass covers up the hand rail!

Most people will get on fine, but it is silly little things like this that detract from someone's stay.

Check out was fast and I was provided with the usual VAT receipt etc.

So all in all, I would not recommend staying at this hotel, simply due to the noise issues, a bed which did not support good sleep, and a set of small things that just put me off. I do fully appreciate the limitations an old building provides and the noise is out of the control of the hotel staff, I really do appreciate that, but if like me, you appreciate a quiet room, where you can open the windows and sleep well, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: If you value quiet hotel rooms, do not have one overlooking the street. No lifts and lots of stairs...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback and i will look into the comments you have made regarding your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading.

I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness.

Stuart Hall

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

After finding this was the only hotel available on the night i needed to stay in reading i reluctantly booked... i wish i hadn't.

The hotel is far from quaint and nowhere near modern. Its like the whole building is trapped not quite sure what to do to keep up with the other hotels in Reading. Even the George's budget price cannot or should not justify a stay.

Within the room the decor was well just odd - i had a twin room that was too dimly lit to actually do any work and too weird to want to sit in and watch tv. The beds felt as old as the hotel and whilst only 6' tall the duvet wasn't long enough to prevent my feet sticking out the end.

It seems what little money has been put into refurbishing my room in the last 10 years was put into the 'sparkly' black bathroom worktop - shame the cleaner hadn't bothered to clean the various very obvious dirty splashes and red marks off the tiles around the sink. The worktop seemed to be the only addition in the last 20 years and did look a little strange against the vintage looking taps and well everything else in the room.

The ironing bored fixed to the wall must have been from a time when the general population were around a foot shorter as i was not able to actually iron a sleeve or panel from my shirt without having to do it in multiple sections - almost defeating the point but the crowning moment of this hotel came from when i tried to sleep...

I have a very strong suspicion that the beds in my room were far from level, and actually tilted slightly (probably due to very uneven floors) so my feet were higher up than my head - this resulted in a not far from death choking fit about an hour into my sleep as acid pooled in the back of my throat, not understanding why this happened after drinking copious glasses of water to put the burning feeling in my throat out i proceeded to try sleeping again, only for the same thing to happen less than an hour later. For fear of a third episode I resorted to sleeping sat up which was far from good in the morning with a busy day ahead.
I travel quite a lot with work and i can assure you this has never happened in ANY other hotel or in fact ever and if faced with having to stay in the george again i would probably look to rearrange meetings instead of trying to survive another night.

There isn't a gym on site as far as i know but that wont matter given the crystal maze style stair cases you will need to navigate to get to most rooms which when carrying luggage will likely be a sufficient workout.

There are far older, far nicer hotels in the country that can make this type of 'old' building work, its just a shame this is not the case here given its amazing location right next to 'The Oracle' where you can get a nice bite to eat.

When a front desk doesn't ask any one on checkout 'how was your stay' i think it sums a lot up - they don't ask the question as they don't want to know the answer....

1 Thank evilbADGer
I am sorry on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading.
I can assure you your comments are being looked into.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss further.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I could have stayed anywhere, but thought the idea of staying in the oldest building in Reading a nice idea. The staff were very helpful and at least grimaced when I asked about how many sets of steps were involved in getting my huge case to my room. There were lots, the difficult bit was the poor signage to find the room. All the way up past the major damp (not unexpected in such an old building) which was very smelly. The room was 3 star, what I really liked was the Arts and Crafts furniture. The bed was soft and comfortable and the heater very good. A great nights sleep. Breakfast was a bit odd it felt a bit like eating in a storeroom with all the boxes. There was also so very loud people whose conversation was very funny, but even the TV news could not drown them out. Would I stay again undecided.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments, some of which we have addressed.