Mercure George Hotel Reading
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$82
US$77
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$119
US$104
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Beech House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$103
Travelocity
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$98
Priceline
  • Pool
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$64
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewslovely buildingoracle shopping centretrouser pressnespresso machinewould stay againtrain stationsuperior roomfull englishone night stayriverside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked this hotel for my son and myself as we both love old buildings, and we were not disappointed. It is a beautiful building full of character. There are stairs and corridors but this is part of the charm and we had no problems finding our rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived in Reading at about 11.15am, too early for check-in time but as I was spending the rest of the day in London I wanted to ask if my Son could check-in my room as well as his own that afternoon. The Receptionist found two rooms available that early and we were both able to check-in there and then. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our schedules meant we would not be eating at the hotel during our stay but we did have a coffee and the service was polite and efficient. I loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had rooms at the back. My son said he heard a man walking past outside shout for a very short period but nothing else. I slept like a log and heard nothing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Reading.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Mercure George Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel, historic and friendly. Can be a little noisy but expected as in the centre of town. Would definitely visit again. Room exquisite, excellent range for breakfast. Location for shopping and restaurants is also excellent. Value for money

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the last two weekends, the rooms are nice and clean and the beds pretty comfortable. The hotel is a very old building so it is very noisy when anyone passes the room so don't expect a full nights sleep. Breakfast was fin and cooked to order and very tasty and plentiful. There is a nice bar and dined attached to the hotel. Accorss the road is a fab pub called the Ale House, it's a dream for real ale fans and I would certainly recommend this. They have up to,9 ales which are updated daily so always a really good variety.

Room Tip: Try to,get one at the end of a corridor to minimise noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I am highly disappointed with Mercure George Hotel in Reading. I have stayed here 2 times and both times I felt the same. Its a very old building and walking through corridors feels like you are going into a maze or den (very depressing).
Rooms has extremely bad temperature control, they get too warm automatically and you cannot turn them off. Old furniture, poor quality towels in bathrooms, too noisy outside. The phone in the room had no mention how to call reception, I tried calling by dialling 0 but nothing happened. The Wifi also dosent really work and expires everyday.

Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Scorpion1976

Sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and i will look into the comments you have made.
Should you wish to discuss further please feel free to e-mail me.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel because it has a lot of character and history. Sadly it was also shabby, dark and failed to live up to expectations. The corridors stank of stale smoke camouflaged by cleaning products and the floorboards creaked. The shower in my room was woefully inadequate and the furniture had seen better days, although on the plus side, the bed was very comfortable. I did not eat breakfast in the hotel, but did have dinner in the "restaurant" (hardly an accurate description) one evening. My meal was served 30 minutes before my colleague's, even though we both ordered the same thing at the same time. When his meal was finally served, there was no apology or acknowledgement from the member of staff and the food was edible but mediocre.
This hotel falls a long way short of the usual Mercure standard.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Mercure George in Reading. i will look into the comments you have made personaly .
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay