“Poor - don't let the olde worlde facade fool you”

Mercure George Hotel Reading
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Brighton
“Poor - don't let the olde worlde facade fool you”
Reviewed 7 November 2008

A maze of corridors with stained carpets that hasn't seen the decorators in a couple of decades.

Room was either freezing or stifling depending on whether the unturnoffable radiator was broken or not.

Food in the 'restaurant' abysmal.

And the smell! Oh, the smell ...

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Everything past reception
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 29 October 2008

The George Hotel is one of the, unforgettable hotels I ever visited. Moments of Truth - The warm friendly & helpful welcome at the reception at the point of the check in and right throughout my stay, gave me the home away from home feeling as a business traveller. The oldest building in Reading - coaching inn, transformed modern hotel, superior executive room I stayed in - was unique in its own story. I will personally recommend this independent hotel to all my colleagues – as to its own heritage uniqueness and the personalized attention of the staff is way beyond anyone’s expectations.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
manchester
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Work booked this hotel on my behalf. I had a room at the front of the hotel and it was pretty noisy – you could hear buses, drunks and extractor fans all night. On the plus side the TV was big, the hairdryer was excellent and the bathroom was very clean. Reception staff friendly but overworked and a bit dizzy. The hotel is a maze of narrow corridors (which smell strongly of air freshener) and spiral stairs so not great if you’ve got a big heavy bag and there’s no porters available. Breakfast is completely self service (which means no pots of tea!). I’m glad it wasn’t my own money spent on staying here, I would’ve been very disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank jamforbrains

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

England
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Worst Hotel that I have ever stayed in.

The bedding was stained and not clean, and not changed after the first night.

The dirty duvet was also so small that it only covered me to my chest.

The toilet seat was possibly 10 years old and cheap plasic which was also stained.

If this was not bad enough, the 2 windows overlooking the main street did not open - so there was no air to the room. I was breathing the same germs as all the previous guests!!

The windows were running with dripping condensation - you could have filled a pint glass with the amount of water on the windows.

Overall the room was damp, dirty and totally unhygenic.

When I complained, the staff said that there was nothing they could do but tell their Manager.

I have stayed in 'dodgy' hotels in Russia, Moldova, Turin and Rome and this is without doubt the dirtiest.

Being chep and old is no excuse for being dirty.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Liked — Nothing a dump
  • Disliked — Dirty and unhygenic
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank dexterEngland
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2008

According to the hotel web site, This place is some olde worlde coaching inn with a wealth of character where one can relax in serene georgian surroundings whilst the world carries on at a hurried pace outside!
Well this image is a greater work of fiction than the Dickens novels it alludes to!
Whilst the building must at some point have resembled the above, it is now a shameful shadow of what must have been its former self.
The 2 parts of the hotel that look to have been fine public rooms/bars are now various restaurants independent of the hotel. The noe hotel 'restaurant' disguises the history of the building under a whirl of laminate flooring, black & red paintwork, black furniture, widescreen plasmas & a constant stream of R&B and X factor 'tune'!
The bar within doesn't stay open very late & the breakfast served in this room is a grim affair (The 'heaven nows how they managed to make them taste so bad' sausages were particularly offensive). Food on the first (and last!) night was also painfully slow & mainly didn't resemble what we asked for (Don't think they've catered for 12 before!). The staff were neither pleasant or rude but most of them spoke at least some English.

All 12 of us were staying here and the fun didn't end here!
We nearly all had problems with our rooms (noisy/too hot/too cold/noisy/mouldy bathrooms). I won't bore with all the details but I had 2 of the worse nights sleep of my (34 years)life here from noise!
Also particularly impressive was my colleagues situation whereby a room change of 3 times was required!
To be completely balanced I have to confess to the bed being comfortable (nothwithstanding not getting much sleep in it!)
The appearance of the bedroom was OK & it was nice to have an ironing board & flatscreen TV (although the reception was really poor). But these positive points were little consolation

The reason for being in Reading was work - The 12 of us were suffciently unhappy to cancel our 2nd week here & book at an alternative hotel, hopefully where some sleep might be obtained!

On the whole an unpleasant & disappointing experience particularly in light of the tariff charged

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank antonyschn
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2007

I was booked into the George by the company I work for. The rate was 95 pounds for B&B.

I was initially taken with the historic building and the reception staff seemed friendly. After walking through endless corridors (not a problem for me as my luggage was light and I am fit but others may have a problem - I could see no lift and was not offered assistance) I reached my room. The corridors smelled badly of stale cigarette smoke; when I opened the door to the room the room also smelled strongly of tobacco.

The room had a single bed (for 95 pounds I'd expect a double) and was tiny. It was also unbearably hot. The windows opened directly onto the street so could not be left open at night; there was a (noisy) free standing fan in the room which saved me from over-heating.

The shower dribbled more water down the back of the wall than on me and the bath looked dirty. The lino was lifting in the bathroom.

I opened the wardrobe to be overpowered by the smell of stale cigarettes. I went to reception to complain and was offered another room that was even smaller and smellier. The receptionist tried to explain the smell away as air freshener - unless they now manufacture stale tobacco as an air freshener I don't think so.

The wall next to the bed was stained all down the length of it. The TV channels weren't tuned correctly and I couldn't tune them in.

Breakfast next day was awful - held in the dark and dingy bar; I had to sit on a low sofa to eat. Coffee was serve-yourself from a machine. The eggs were rubbery and dried up. The bacon and sausages had clearly been there sometime. The wait staff were surly.

I could have stayed in a Travelodge or similar and had a clean, large room in the centre of Reading for 55 pounds a night - which one of my colleagues did the following week. Had it not been booked through my company I would have demanded a refund; as it is, I have written to the booking agency with my comments.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank MissChick
Essex, England
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip. Centrally located and a lovely old building but that's where the positive experience ends!
Dirty room (long black hair all over the bath), useless shower, toiletires provided extremely limited and poor quality, old fashioned fixtures and fittings. Loads of outside noise so difficult to sleep.
Breakfast awful and even the little pots of milk in the room were rancid so I couldn't have a morning coffee!
Even the bar had shut before 11pm!
£95 for the room!
If I had paid myself I would have complained about everything but as it was a business trip, I didn't have the time.
Some of my colleagues had refurbished rooms but agreed that the breakfast, staff etc etc was wa below the standard we are used to.
I suggest the Management take a long look at the potential here versus the customer experience!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business