“One of the poorer Wetherspoons”
Review of The Monk's Retreat

The Monk's Retreat
Ranked #458 of 654 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours
Description: This pub was one of the first Wetherspoon establishments to open outside of London and celebrated trading for 20 years in May 2014. Open from 7am daily for breakfast & coffee with a front garden area to make the most of the British weather. We have been awarded the maximum five stars in the Food Hygiene Rating scheme and welcome all to try our range of food available from pub classics, American style foods, pastas & salads and more. We take great pride in our selection of beers and ales. We are Cask Marque accredited and there are many guest ales to choose from as well as our house ales. We are also happy to introduce our new craft beer, Devil's Backbone IPA, from America along with Hogstar lager, Windsor & Eton Pilsner and Hazy Hog cider.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I agree with other reviewers that this is a tired rather dingy Wetherspoons pub. I seem to remember, though, that the toilets and been refurbished nicely and, obviously, recently. We went there for a coffee and though it was cheap it was pretty dire, much worse than in other Wetherspoons. We regretted not stopping in the nearby Costa Coffee. There certainly would have been more atmosphere and nicer surroundings.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Walking through Reading town centre earlier this week my wife and I were feeling very hungry having just travelled over to the UK from South Africa and only had measly airline food. We stopped in at the Monks Retreat which is a Weatherspoons Pub/ Restaurant. Weatherspoons have taken over a large number of old cinemas and old office buildings around the country and have a formula that seems to work really well. You sit down and peruse the easy to read menus, note the table number and walk to the bar and order accordingly......paying up front. What I particularly like is that all the meals are calorie counted and as a Grandmaster road running athlete I watch my calorie intake carefully. We ordered sausage and mash for me (720 kcals) and my wife had a lovely pasta dish and of course I had a nice refreshing pint ;-). Service was very fast and cheerful. I cannot fault the place!!!!!!!

1  Thank JonathanSuch2013
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had lunch and some drinks here with friends on 22nd March. We all ordered and paid for the mixed grill. After a short delay, the waiter came to our table and asked us if we would accept an extra sausage instead of the gammon steak, as he said that they had run out of gammons. This seemed odd, as we believe the all the Wetherspoon food is pre-packed. We declined the substitution offer as we regarded the offer as detrimental. We asked for an improvement instead, in the form of extra rump steak. Miraculously, the waiter then found some gammon steaks. The food was OK when it arrived. On reflection, we wonder what is going on at this pub. The staff seem to be unable to manage the contents of pre-packaged food.

1  Thank BarnsleyDave2011
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I popped in here on the way back from a meeting. It is quite dark, dingy and uninviting. Typically full of middle aged men or people who wish to have a cheap pint.

Get what you pay for.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Dropped in here for a quick bite and a pint with my nephew. It's the worst Wetherspoons I've been in and is clearly in need of a thorough clean/refurbishment. Fortunately near the rar it didn't smell so bad so stayed and ate. The food was good and so was the beer. Would not go back there again unless it is updated.