“Such happy polite staff”

The Four Points Inn
Ranked #90 of 638 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is the first time I have visited The Four Points. BUT WILL NOT BE THE LAST ! Fantastic food with a very varied menu, with very large portions. Everything cooked perfectly and the two young waitresses were very friendly, such a nice change to run of the mill restaurants

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to a meal here last Sunday evening as lots of recommendations for their good steak from Vickers butchers (local). We were placed in a small side room with absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever so not a good start! There was also a table of 9 people (5 adults, 4 children) - even before our starter arrived, and that had to be prompted, the table of 9 had had their starters, mains and desserts (with what seemed a ciggie break before the dessert!!). When the food arrived my warm peppered mackerel (Tesco's own I am assuming) had definitely been placed in the microwave for a minute or two too long - it was rubbery and not very appetising. The toast which came with it was just your bog standard "Tesco value" brown sliced bread - I picked at it because I was hungry - we did wait 45 minutes for it to arrive. My husband had the prawn cocktail - just slopped onto a large "pasta" style plate - again he ate it as he too was hungry. The waitress probably passed our table at least 10 times before I intervened and offered her our finished (half left) plates. We then waited and waited for the mains to come - for me a Vickers sirloin steak and my husband, the liver and bacon. After an hour and half after we arrived we decided enough was enough. My husband told the waitress that if the food wasn't on our tables within a minute we were leaving. She assured us our plates were the next our. Within a couple of minutes - we gave them the benefit of the doubt - she strolled past the entrance to our awful side room with a plate of food for another table. That was it, we paid for our starters, which I was reluctant to do I hasten to add. Two of the waiting staff came up to us and assured us our plates were definitely next .... we left anyway NEVER to return again. We then popped up to the Bell Inn at Aldworth, a favourite haunt of ours, and tucked into a roll each before heading home!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Visited for a Sunday lunch, order taken at 1pm didn't get meal until 2pm, which is a very long wait, it wasn't until about 5mins before we got meal, that a waitress came and said they hadn't forgot us, and we wouldn't have to wait much longer.
I had roast beef, my wife had the chicken, both meals were very good, and a full plate, the Sunday lunch meal comes with a starter or a pudding at £9.95, which is very good value for money.
Due to the wait I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back again.
In the room we were in it was also very noisey.

1  Thank Rob836
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I love this pub. On a hot day sitting outside with a meal and a nice cool pint is just like a slice of heaven. Only downside is that the menu is very small and has very little veggie food on it. So I always find myself just having chips and a roll. I hate omelette and that's all that's offered really.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

maybe it was an off day but we met friends for lunch at the Four Points in Aldworth and we felt that it fell short of our expectations. Food OK but nothing special, cheery barman, waitress threw a handful of sauce sachets on the table, coffee very slow to arrive. But it IS dog friendly and there is a play area for children. Outside tables all seem to be very close to the road.

1  Thank John J