“Laughable”

Ranked #16 of 17 Reading B&B and Inns
Evreux
“Laughable”
Reviewed 18 October 2007

This never happened to me in my life: I arrive at 10pm at the hotel in the pouring rain, and I am told that my reservation, which I booked over the phone and for which I had a booking confirmation from the hotel, had been "transferred" to another hotel. Not only didn't the staff member care one bit about it, but he also gave me inaccurate directions to the other hotel. I was told at the other place, that it wasn't the first that this happened.
If the interior is equally serviced as their customer service, then I can only say: Don't go to this place!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 17 July 2005

Reading is a working town, with quite a few people staying at guest houses and B&Bs during the week days, and going home for the weekend. This affects the pricing and service levels of B&Bs. It seems like hotels and B&Bs do not primarily cater for tourists, which is somewhat understandable - Reading doesn't have that many attractions, really.

Bow Guest House is an OK place to stay, but the basement where we had our room was slightly damp, and slightly easy access for potential break-ins through the windows (if they were left open). The weekend staff was polite, but slightly inexperienced, and not very "keen". The weekend breakfast was simply cereal + optional toast. I think we should have been given a discount over the weekend, but that did not happen.

Good things: the owners seemed nice and helpful (but they were only there on Friday and Monday, not over the wekend). They were the first of the guest houses in Reading we contacted that could get a cot for our son. None of the others had a cot or had family accomodation. OK location, close to the town center. Free wireless internet was nice for us that hauls along a laptop.

If I go to Reading another time with my family (two adults, one boy), we're probably not staying there again. I'd chose somewhere else, hoping to find just slightly friendlier staff (owners were nice, but they weren't there most of our stay).

Short on Reading: a good place to shop, and also to live & work. Nice victorian houses and large facades in the town center. Nice places to see, like a very nice park (Prospect Park) and nice river and canal (Thames and Kennet & Avon Canal), good pubs+restaurants and clubs but no unique or strong tourist attractions. Also very good transportation - easy place to get to - and to get away from :-)

2 Thank NilsAndreas

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels