“PRETTY AWFUL!”

Bow Guest House
Bow Guest House
Ranked #14 of 17 Reading B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Wish I'd read the reviews before ringing for a room but only wanted one night for a business trip away.
Like others writing here, I was booked to stay in Cresent Hotel but on arrival was told I had been moved to Bow Guest House. Didn't like to make a fuss as needed somewhere to stay! A younger member of the family took me to the Bow and with limited English told me there was parking behind the house.
The manager was pleasant enough but was eager to take my money before showing me the ensuite 3 floor up!
Well, the room smelt of curry (not unpleasant but good job I like Indian food) it had flies buzzing about and when i pulled the very old and threadbare bed cover back it had blood stains on the underside. The sheets looked clean but the blanket was very grubby and had something that could have been vomit bits on the edges. Fortunately the towels were clean and I slept on one towel whist putting the other over the grimy headboard so that i could sit up enough to watch a bit of telly. I attempted to get rid of the flies but was reluctant to touch the window too much as that too was filthy.
Thought i would attempt breakfast as hadn't eaten since afternoon the previous day. Being fair it was OK good fried egg with bacon and a sausage that had hardly seen meat ( but I expected no better) also served with beans a tinned tomato and toast.
Almost felt compelled to go to breakfast as the UHT milk in the room had curdled and was not drinkable in tea.
Please don't go to this establishment and encourage them to think that this level of service is acceptable. Ok it was not expensive but for £55 I would expect a little more than this.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank elaine_marnik

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I booked 2 room for this hotel. Confimation was given. 7 days later they rang and asked me to cancel as they'd given our rooms to other people. When I refused to cancel I was put onto the manager. He was the most unhelpful, rudist man i have every come acros, he shouted & swore at me.
In the end I did cancel and after reading some of the other reviews, thank god I did

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Big clump of hair in shower. Looked like snot on curtains & head board. Top cover on bed dirty. Coffee/tea marks on furniture. 5star sticker, but it was for 2007, it shud be minus 5 now. Window had a horrible mouth mark on it. Wardrobe dirty.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Eileensowden
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The owner's customer care was non-existent. The room was terrible and with no separate bathroom. The toilet was behind a half-painted door, and the shower tray in the corner of the room. The soap dispenser did not work. The bed's quilt was dirty. Could not bare to spend the night. Overpriced for the quality of lodging one gets. For £27 more I can spend the night at the Malmaison hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Melita191
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Do not even consider it advertised as en suite when I got there the en suite consisted of a sink in the room and had to share a toilet and shower with I was told one other this turned out to be 4 others
Not in a nice area of Reading, when I returned I discoverd the other 2 rooms on my floor were occupied by 4 young men who spent the whole night running in and out of each others rooms shouting at the top of their voices,and trying my room door. It was very scary if I had not had a drink with dinner I would have driven the 300 miles home at 2am as it was i was up and out at 6am did not bother with breakfast
Avoid at all costs

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank clarets3
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Room was clean, but not very cosy: there are a few cons that made the hotel a bit uncomfortable (funny smell, a bit noisy, ...) There's free internet connection, but didn't work properly. I guess there is better value for the money in Reading.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 April 2008

I stayed in Bow Guest House in late March for 4 nights. The good things are the staff are nice, the full english breakfast is quite good, the location is just 5-10mins walk to town centre and Reading Station.

But the downside is that it is located in Russell St in West of Reading, where the place you are not generally feeling very safe, especially at night. It is very obvious that when you walked from town centre, went into Oxford Road, you will find that the place is not as clean as in the town centre or other residential areas in Reading. The room is not big, just with an acceptable size. No chair in my single room so that all the time I have to sit on the bed.

One special thing happened to me was that one night in the corridor I met a man, who living next to my room, seems drunk, and would like to enter my room. It made me so scared. And the noise insulating is not very good, so I can always hear what other people is saying outside my room.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)