Crescent Hotel
US$113
US$120
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$76
US$63
HolidayInn.com
pentahotels Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$89
CrownePlaza.com
Novotel Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$93
US$54
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$117
Priceline
  • Pool
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$78
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 January 2007

Oh dear I should have read the other comments before I booked! A dark atmosphere seemed to surround the outside of this place and it got darker as I stepped into the dimly lit hall. The attitude of the receptionist/manager proved to be appaling; he was rude and nosey. What's more the room was cold, the toilet had fag butts in it and there was no hot drinks. I decided not to have a cooked breakfast as the chap on the next table had left his. Thoroughly not recommended.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank truthfuljohn
Reviewed 3 January 2007

I had to stay last night (2 Jan 2007) at short notice and booked through Active. The hotel description and pictures looked good on the website and I wanted a hotel with Internet Access to do some work. The main door was locked and the reception area was dark and dingy. There is no where to eat in the hotel other than breakfast. I was told there was a bar but that it currently only had limited stock. Having been given my keys I made my way to what should have been a smoking double with free wifi access. The room was tiny and had a double and a single. There is only one power socket in the whole room so if you have a mobile to charge a laptop to power and want a cup of tea then shift work is necessary. No ashtray so it was a saucer job! No wardrobes but some makeshift hanging space sat in the middle of the room. The room was dark, old and did not give the impression of being clean. The bathroom was nearly as big but dreadfull in its layout and appointments including a blind that did not work and peeling paint on the window sills. Having been out to eat I was met by the receptionist again who asked what I thought of the hotel. I was honest! He offered to move me to another room which I declined; I had unpacked and it was bedtime! He showed me the room I could have and it was exactly the same as the one I had! He told me that it was difficult to do much with the hotel as it is a listed building etc and then offered to discount my rate (£75). The bed wasnt bad but breakfast tested the microwave and my teeth to the full. Wifi Access was difficult and seemed to have been turned off altogether at midnight. I shall not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank toomanynightsaway
Reviewed 5 October 2006

The overall feeling was one of a spinechilling thriller. As we approached the locked front door, it mystically opened - Dorma doors we thought... how posh. Nope. Man standing behind - but not revaling himself.

The small reception area keeps it's lights off to intensify the eerie feel - but really I reckon it's just a bit of energy/ money saving.
It's a shame they keep the heating off too.

Bedrooms small. Bathrooms that smell of stale smoke.... Theis self accredited 3 star is somewhat over rated... by 3 stars.

Sorry Crescent Hotel, but, not good.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Mummenschanz
Reviewed 7 November 2005

I was attending a three-day course at a nearby business park and I selected the Crescent Hotel for its relative nearness to Reading City Centre, its price and its offer of free wireless connection. Overall I was slightly disappointed by the hotel but, with one exception, there was nothing seriously wrong with it.

The receptionist was slightly offish with me and unhelpful to start with but he was friendlier later on, taking time to show me directions on a map when I asked. The hotel is a fifteen to twenty minute walk from the main railway station. It was possible to catch a bus to the centre but this did not save much time.

The hotel corridors are unusually narrow and the stairs rather steep for an English hotel but nothing on the scale of Amsterdam hotels. My twin room was long and thin with a very small desk, from which my kensington lock just reached to the radiator. The walls were very narrow and I could hear the television of my next door neighbour. The television was just the standard five terrestrial channels. The free wireless network worked well on my PDA but not at all on my - admittedly rather old - laptop card.

The hotel's best point was that my bed was very comfortable and I had no troubles at all getting to sleep. I noticed some limited traffic noise in the morning and this didn't keep me awake. There was sufficient storage space to hang a few clothes. I could smell cigarette smoke downstairs but fortunately no-one on the upper floor seemed to be smoking and a fire door kept the smell from creeping upwards.

The hotel’s worst point was the en-suite bathroom. It was small, with a tiny sink and the shower was dreadful; it started off as a dribble and turned into a drip. I did not get a chance to ask about the shower at reception so it’s possible I was operating it wrongly or it was half broken.

The full English breakfast was not that full and I have never tasted such salty tomatoes before. It was enough to keep me going until lunch however.

Summing up, poor to average.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business