“Scary reviews - comfy reality!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Crescent Hotel

Crescent Hotel
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
“Scary reviews - comfy reality!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We read the terrible reviews but had already booked for the location - a cheap stay whilst working locally for 2 days. Arrived late, fearing the worst. The room was very pleasant, clean, all necessary comforts. No complaints, basic breakfast is good value, location is great for walking into town. Would stay again if working in the area.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Never never book a stay here.

The management are a complete rip off, they are extremely unprofessional & rude. Once they have your card against a booking be prepared for them to take the money from your account even when you have tried to cancel.

When tried to call them to cancel, came up against a very slurred voiced man who told me he couldn't be bothered to talk and hung up!! Next day discovered they had took the money from my account and were not prepared to refund in any way

Absolutely disgraceful.

Avoid Avoid Avoid

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank J G

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm sat in my room at the crescent hotel with my friend for ny, we want to point out we paid 48£ for this hotel and couldn't fault it really!! Our room was clean apart from a few marks on the wall but these don't affect our stay at all. Our beds have no bugs and we were politely welcomed on arrival by a pleasant owner. The room fits our needs and only a 8£ taxi from town. It isn't luxury but for the price this hotel has exceeded our expectations

• Stayed December 2013
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

not sure why my original review of this hotel has been removed. Stayed there recently on a business trip to reading. the place is an absolute dump that doesn't warrant even a 1 star. The room was so shabby and unkempt I couldn't believe it when I arrived. I was genuinely afraid about getting into bed for fear of being bitten by fleas/bed bugs/whatever. I have been back to reading and there are other alternatives cheaper than the cedars hotel that offer much cleaner and better rooms. Don't be deceived by the photos which presents a pleasant image of the hotel....it's anything but.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gusg97
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed there recently on a business trip to reading. The room photos must have been taken years ago. This place is awful. The staff are friendly and welcoming but the quality of the rooms are beyond dreadful. Breakfast was good - it was included in my room price (67.95 for a twin en suite) which is a positive, but, seriously, this hotel is in bad need of a renovation and clean up. They are charging the equivalent of a three star hotel but this is a one star at best, based on the room I stayed in. It's November 2013 and unless they have renovated and revamped the rooms, I recommend you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gusg97
Bega, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Arriving in town late in the dark with no accommodation booked we were desperate to find a bed for the night. The front desk should have set us running but we paid our £50 and went upstairs where the alarm bells were ringing off the hook!
It stank! Maybe due to the fire alarm being covered over by a shower cap!!
The floor was un-vacuumed and dirty, it looked like a struggle had gone on in the room with hand prints and marks all over the walls!
I was to scared to step bare foot into the shower, let alone take my shoes off in the room.
The place had free wi-fi, so for the 45mins that we were there for and debated what to do we used it to find different accommodation for the night.
We ran back out the door with out a second look, forfeiting our money for the night.
Paid £60 at The Holiday Inn and felt like we were staying at the Hilton!
AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenna A
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

In 40 years I havent stayed in a non-ensuite room, but I did here. And the loo wasnt even close but well down the corridor. It did say so on the web site but I didn't look for it. Breakfast ends at 8:30 and they didnt tell me when I checked in so I missed breakfast.
Hotel generally looked un cared for and badly needed doing up.
The room was actually of a fair size and the bed comfy.
It was also the cheapest in Reading, but I would have prefered to pay more. And at £60 wasn't that cheap.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a loo!