“It does what is says on the tin.... very well.”

Parkside International Hotel
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I booked a room (not via Trip Advisor) at the next-door sister hotel, The Lawns, and received a courteous call on the day to advise that The Lawns was 'over-booked' that night and my booking had been transferred to the Parkside Intl. The hotel is easy to find with plenty of free parking. The reception, bar and restaurant are all spacious (for a budget hotel), the atmosphere relaxed/casual and the staff amiable and human (you know what I mean...!). The room (110) appeared to be specially fitted for disabled access and was spacious, well-fitted and everything worked. There was plenty of hot water and the bedding linen / covers were better quality than most hotels in this price range. The room was at the back of the hotel and I didn't hear a squeak outside or from the neighbouring rooms. The free wi-fi was fine and connected quicker and easier than most. There is an extensive bar/restaurant menu in the evening and I paid £13 for a prawn cocktail starter, spaghetti bolognaise main and a pint of John Smiths (pure class, me...). In addition to the pub-style favourites there were many international menu options. However, the most popular items in the bar that night were burgers and steaks. The traditional English breakfast was definitely one of the better ones I have had for a while. My rating of average is only because there's no rating of 'good' - or maybe that should be 'good value'. Either way, I found no fault during my stay.

Room Tip: It was quiet at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Everything worked, everything was unremarkable. If the word average doesn't covey the sentiment, then "beige" might be a better descriptor. Arrived late, left early, didn't use any of the bar or restaurant facilities. Absolutely forgettable.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Easy to find, short distance from town centre on the main A4 Bath Road. The room (205) was pleasant, bed a little lumpy, the linen was clean, carpet stained thru general usage. Unfortunately the people next door had what sounded like a game station or whatever, it was at times loud. My early wake up call was 30 mins late. The breakfast was tasty and sufficient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Great hotel my husband and I have sayed here 1 night every week for the past 10 months and have no complaints, hotel and room lovely, staff very friendly and excellent breakfast
would recommend 100%
Mr mrs Leggett

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We were booked to stay in the Lawn hotel next door and we we told they had double booked us so were moved here as the hotel has the same owner.
The hotel was nice but the staff were on there own planet. Waited ages for an evening meal and outside was like a building site.
Room was tidy but had a smell of stale smoke. Sorry wont be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed for two nights and was disappointed in several aspects of the hotel. I found a dress ring just under my bed. Why wasn't it found during cleaning? Our hot breakfast was brought to the table before we had finished our cereals. Stains on the carpet, grouting on the bathroom floor was flawed which left dirty stains on the bath mat. The staff were friendly, just require better training.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My sister and I booked a room at The Lawns next door to the Parkside on the internet a few weeks ago. On arrival there wasn't a twin bedded room available so we were taken by Alex to their sister hotel the Parkside International 1 minutes walk away. Reception lovely and clean and modern and the receptionist couldn't have been more polite and welcoming. The room we were shown to was of a good standard, modern, clean, quite large, equipped with kettle, hairdryer etc. Bathroom spotless and supplied with toiletries. White towels which seemed a bit thin but did a good job of drying! The view was over the car park but it didn't matter. The room was warm and despite being on a main road extremely quiet. The room was the quality of a Premier Inn. We didn't eat in the restaurant that evening but did greatly enjoy a freshly cooked full english breakfast the following morning again with excellent service from the staff. We only paid £60 for the room which I realise was a bargain but I cannot fault the hotel at all. It was only a 20 minute walk from Reading town centre, there's a Beefeater restaurant 2 minutes walk away and plenty of public transport on the main road. There was ample free and safe car parking and also free WIFI. I have no idea why this hotel has received bad comments from other travellers. I would certainly stay again and would recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family