Parkside International Hotel
pentahotels Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Restaurant
Beech House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$145
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$119
  • Pool
US$94
US$56
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$68
  • Restaurant
Novotel Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$113
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$95
CrownePlaza.com
US$128
US$115
Travelocity
US$73
US$67
All reviewsprospect parkslight smelldouble and single bedfree wifigood sized bathroomfunction roomstayed for nightsmain roadtown centrefull english breakfasttea and coffeesaturday night
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Hotels own website states:
Parkside International is a newly purpose built hotel. Furnished in ultimate interiors offering ample onsite car parking in tranquil surroundings.

Couple of problems with this. The hotel is pretty obviously not new as shower rail in bathroom was rusty, bath panel had started to rot, the underside of the toilet seat had split and the swelled as it absorbed liquid (you can guess what sort). The sink did not drain properly and there were cracked tiles in the bathroom. All this adds up to a pretty tired, old hotel. Not a new one.
In the main bedroom, there were stains on the carpet, the TV was an old box style TV with dodgy sound. And yes, an old box style TV is fine, but not what you expect in a "Luxury Hotel" as advertised. The satellite TV consisted of 3 extra channels, again, not really what you would expect.

Finally, the "glasses" provided in the bathroom were the plastic type sealed in a plastic wrap. Not something I have ever seen in a "Luxury" hotel. Still, at least I knew these were clean............

I stay in approx 50-60 hotels a year on business and this one is the worst I have stayed in for at least 2-3 years (and yes, I have stayed in worse).

On the plus side, the staff were pleasent enough.
I hate leaving bad reviews, but if I had booked this for a romantic weekend away with the wife I would have been livid. See the photo's and make up your own mind.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank magellanman
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Having never been to Calcot our business booked the hotel on our behalf via its website. 1st warning is that the website does not reflect the actual look or standard of the hotel and must have been taken some time ago.
On arrival you had to park in the mislaid out car park inbetween the wild growing undergrowth. So high and unkept was the landscaping it hides the 6ft hotel Ad sign. Service at reception was the worst I have ever experienced. Grumpy, rude and very unhelpful.
After finding my room (a grunt was offered by the male receptionist rather than directions!!) I found someone already in it! !!!
Once I has been allocated a another room I found it shabby, lights not working, no tea or coffee facilities. The smoke coming from smoking rooms clouds the corrirdors as there is no air con in place. Shower curtain 2ft too short so bathroom floor got soaked. Bed linen dirty and threadbare. Massive cracks in the room walls. No net curtains in place. Pigeons living on balconies coated in bird mess.
Breakfast was equally poor. Grease dripping off full English and some fruit and cereal, also accompanied by more poor service.
In whole one of the worst experiences I have had in a UK hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank scm27
Reviewed 1 July 2010

One of the worse hotels I have ever stayed at. On the 3rd attempt they managed to sort my key card. The room was decorted by a 12 year old and the finishing was shocking. It smelt of damp. The TV was rubbish.

The noise levels in the hotel were really bad, mainly due to banging doors and waffer thin walls rather than residents. To top it off i was rung up by reception at 3am asking me to keep the noise down! Which was nice as I had barely got to sleep and they failed to apologies.

The only plus is that i didn't eat any food here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank idontask4much
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I was visiting Reading town for a business meeting - my secretary found a great hotel very close to the town centre.

Staff were very polite & friendly - made me feel welcome.

My room was modern, with a good size bathroom and with internet facility.

Enjoyed the dinner and got a good nights sleep - refreshed for my meeting.

Would thoroughly recommend & would stay there again.

Lorraine

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I visited this hotel for a convention on a Saturday evening. The convention which was run by a private company was very good, but the accomodation provided by this hotel was exceedingly poor. My friends and I had travelled for almost 2 hours to get there and arrived early hoping to find something to eat or drink before the start of the convention. On arrival, not a single member of staff could be found anywhere near reception for a considerable time. Eventually a young lady turned up and we asked where the bar was so we could obtain some refreshment. She said the bar wasn't really open, but when pressed, she offered to open it and went through herself to serve us. Fine we thought, but not for long. We asked if they served hot drinks, "not at the weekend", any food? "not at the weekend" any crisps or nuts? No we don't serve them here. We finally settled for a couple of cold drinks as that was all there was to be had. We asked for directions to the Ladies and were directed down a flight of poorly lit stairs to a toilet in the basement. This had apparently been allocated to us for the convention goers. There were 4 stalls, and at various times during the evening, one, two or three of them were out of order. One had overflowed (with what?) onto the floor and was left like this all evening. Three barely white hand towels had been left for us (about 100 ladies at this convention). By the end of the evening as you can imagine, they were soaking wet and just left in various puddles on the basins or the floor. I reported this to the receptionist who again had to be hunted down, but she said the cleaners weren't on duty.

We did not stay at the hotel so I cannot comment on the state of the bedrooms or the breakfasts and dinners. I would however recommend that anyone considering this venue for a conference or similar, look elsewhere in the area. There has to be somewhere better in or around Reading.

Having read previous reviews on this site, it's disappointing to see that the comments made 5 or 6 years ago still apply in 2010. There seems to be a real problem with this place. It still looks dismal and half built, has absolutely no atmosphere, and was far from welcoming. I strongly advise potential guests to steer well clear.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business