“Awfull”

The Angel Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Dessert in Reading
Price range: US$12 - US$23
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run business, forever striving to provide the highest quality of both food and drink, in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Being locals ourselves, we pride ourselves on our understanding of the local area, our regulars, and above all else, what has been missing. We aim to not only meet, but exceed our guests' expectations, working with them to come up with new ideas to keep things fresh, exciting, and more importantly, to keep you coming back again and again.....So watch this space.......
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Awfull”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Left standing at the bar for ten minutes while various members of staff worked hard to ignore me only to be told that "pumps no work, we no do ales" In a pub. Avoid if your thirsty.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank David O

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

As a lone business traveller I am used to paying over £70 per night for a pub room in this area. I was very pleased to find a deal on booking.com on this occasion for only £50 per night including breakfast at The Angel. For this rate the spacious, well decorated ensuite room, with private balcony was very welcome, especially for enjoying the sun in private with a cold beer.

The food and service in the restaurant was certainly very good, however it was not by any means busy at the time. I chose the breaded king prawns for a starter which were fresh and unlikely to have been pre packed, and for main their 'Catch of the Day' - a salmon filet - which tasted fresh and flavoursome. The price for 2 premium beers, a starter and an upper-mid priced main came to £25.50, which I thought was more than reasonable given the quality and presentation of the food.

2 Thank NetherEdge123
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Terrible customer service after suspected food poisoning, and a smell of toilets in the restaurant”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My partner and I ate here at the end of May and spent close to £100. We had both eaten the same all day except for what we ate at the Angel. We shared a starter and a pudding (both quite tasty) and I had a fillet steak for my main, whilst my partner chose something else. Other than the terrible smell of toilets which started up half way through the meal, (we were told by our waiter was an ongoing problem which they couldn't solve,) and the forgetful waiter (I had to ask 3 times for water), the food tasted quite nice (though the vegetable portions were too small).

At about 2.30am that night I woke with painful stomach cramps, and then spent the next hour in the bathroom whilst my body ejected all traces of my dinner, quite forcefully! It wasn't a pleasant experience, and I still felt sick the following morning, and had a tender stomach. I didn't really feel well again til late the day after that (almost 48 hours after eating at the Angel). I've had food poisoning on the rare occasion before, and am pretty sure that that's what made me ill, rather than just a stomach bug - it was very sudden and violent. Obviously I can't prove that it was the food I ate at the Angel, but it seems the only obvious cause.

Whether it was or wasn't the food from the Angel which made me so sick, the response I got from their representative (they never supplied a name or job title) was what upset me more in the end. Their initial response was that the meat was fresh and they had invoices to prove this (already they were on the defensive) and that they would look into it.

I didn't hear anything back so emailed again. The response I got that time was that they disagreed with my "notion" that it was food poisoning. They told me that food poisoning takes about 24 hours to occur - this is not true, it can occur from 1 hour after eating the food. They claimed to have a 5 star food rating (yet the only food rating I could find was 2/5 from scores on the doors). They gave various reasons why they wouldn't be held responsible, such as selling other steaks that night, and the meat being fresh. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure food hygiene and preparation also plays a part in whether a dish is safe to eat or not. After denying all responsibility and giving their various reasons, they said a very brief sorry for my experience and asked if there was anything else they could do.

I replied to them with some facts about time scales and food poisoning, and expressed some concern that they were simply shrugging the matter off and not taking it seriously. I said I wasn't impressed that I got food poisoning in the first place, but even less impressed by their response and lack of customer care.

Their response to that? An email with an attachment, no message, just an attachment, showing satisfactory results of a swab test done on a serving platter that day. That's great, a single item in their kitchen passed a test. How can that possibly prove anything?? It's not relevant to my problem, but they felt no need to communicate with me any further. Apparently the (irrelevant) results spoke for themselves.

So, in summary, a few hours after eating at The Angel I got food poisoning (severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea, some nausea and sweating, lasting over an hour, followed by a full day of feeling delicate and rough). That was something I didn't enjoy much, and it certainly wasn't the sort of special occasion I had planned.

What upset me more though was the poor customer services (or rather, complete lack of it) and their attempt to convince me that food poisoning can't possibly occur that quickly.

I for one won't ever eat there again (we had previously gone there for several special occasions) and have told my friends and family not to risk it. I urge you to find out what you can about their food hygiene on the internet, before you risk eating there.

Service? Quite poor, the waiter was very forgetful.
Value for money? I've given it one star because I don't appreciate paying almost £100 for such a bad experience.
Atmosphere, romance, and special occasions? If you like the smell of toilets while you're eating, go for it!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank clairenw
Sheffield
“Under new management - beautiful meal - amazing service :)”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We've not eaten in The Angel for quite a while but decided to try it after hearing they had new management and were so glad we did

Took ages to choose what we wanted as the menu was lovely. I had the belly pork which was gorgeous and my friend had the steak burger which was equally as good.
We were made to feel really welcome and stayed to watch the football
The meal was beautiful and very reasonably priced - would definitely recommend & were amazed at previous comments but assume this was the old management!

We will be regulars without a doubt

Great half price offer on a Monday too and beautiful beer garden

2 Thank Mashcat
Newbury
“Try Elsewhere.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I decided to have Sunday lunch at the Angel Inn on Sunday 22/06/14. It was a lovely day so off we set and arrived in time for a glass of wine and a beer. We were shown to our table where we were served our starters, my wife chose the prawns which she said were delicious, my scallops were dry served with crucified bacon pieces, absolutely tasteless.

Results so far one for the Angel and one for my wife.

Then the main course Aberdeen Angus Roast Beef served with roast potatoes carrots el dente ( raw ) cauliflower el dente (raw) and gravy that looked like it had been made with Marmite. The beef definitely died of old age as it was impossible to cut let alone chew and eat.

Result at this point was to give up and put it down to a very bad experience, which not be repeated at the Angel.

Needless to say both meals were sent back uneaten. After I had asked the owner to try the beef which he declined, need I say more.

The owner /manager apologised and to his credit he removed the two main meals and asked if he could get us anything else. There was at this time a Hog Roast being served outside, my wife and I decided to have these two rolls filled with the pork and left.

I am afraid to say unless this restaurant can serve palatable food, more comments like this will undoubtedly be left by customers.

I for one will not return for some time.

• Visited June 2014