“Rather Go Further Afield”

Belle Vue House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Rather Go Further Afield”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Unfortunately I checked Trip Advisor before booking into Belle Vue House. It was however, very close to our friends who we were visiting. Bobbi (Landlady) seemed pleasant when introduced us to our room. The room however, as I huge disappointment. It was rather small and looked a bit dated. There was a crack in the window and the floorboards were the creakiest that we have experienced. The rest of the facilities such as tv and drink were fine and up to quality. However, we were still awake at 3am, due to the noise of the toilet that decided to keep filling up every 10 minutes. This kept us up. Fortunately, my husband was able to stop it with a little bit of work.

It was disappointed that there was no fried breakfast in the morning, as she doesn't do it on a Sunday morning. We didn't know this until we saw the information in the room. We told Bobbi about the toilet. Rather than having an apology, she said it was the limescale that was causing it. Living in a place with plenty of limescale, we knew that this was not the case.

She asked us if the guest next door has woken us up because she specifically asked him to be quiet in the morning. This seems like a 'dig' at this particular guest. The breakfast room was cold and uninviting. Rather than eating our breakfast in peace, Bobbi decided to sit down and natter throughout. We think we can pretty much write a biography of her life! She had very strong opinions about society, which may offend guests.

When checking out, Bobbi mentioned about what she really hated is TripAdvisor. She thinks that there are competitions out there who purposely slag her establishment off and lie about Belle Vue. I hope Bobbi will take notice that this is not the case and to work on any constructive criticism that are given.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Moogiekupo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wales
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at the belle vue for approx 6 weeks 2nights a week whilst working in reading. I stayed and paid for a budget room which if I'm honest was pretty grim but where possible if there were rooms available the manager upgraded me to a higher priced room for free which were all ensuite and newly refurbished and very nice. The manager was very friendly and pleasant and was always available to answer any questions and was very helpful. The hotel is walking distance from the city centre so it's in a prime location. The breakfast was nice with plenty to eat. Overall I would recommend this hotel for business stop over comfy beds, great showers and very quiet and friendly I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012
york
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Had to come to reading for one night and for £40 I thought the Belle Vue would be adequate, but I was wrong! From the moment I walked in the door the manager would not stop complaining. Then my room...well you couldn't swing a cat in it! plaster was falling off the walls, literally - you could see bits of it behind the drawers. The tv was from the stone age and the tea making facilities were a joke. The worst part though was the road noise, a busy road and single gazing made it seem like i was sleeping by the side of the road! but what kept me up the most was the whining from the pipes, all night! just terrible. Then breakfast was awful, re-heated chewy sausages and egg - and I didn't feel comfortable enough to eat some cereal. I was referred to as 'girl' for my stay and forced to sit at a dirty table as the table I was about to sit at was: 'I have cleaned that one, don't sit there'. Never come here! I wish I hadn't!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank calowYork

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

rooms basic, and in need of refurbishment. However, very clean and pleasent stay. if you need somewhere that is cheap and cheerful to get your head down, and not too bothered about all the necessities that come with larger hotels, then i strongly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The hotel was nice on first inspection, the landlady seemed chatty but we soon learnt she knew no boundaries. She moaned about all her guests and about how much she hated her job and went on and on about how crap her life was...all this before we even saw our room! When we went up the room was nice but we found our toilet had no flush, we had to call Bobby (the landlady) and really didn't want to as would get stuck with the moans again! She came up and moaned about how no one would come out to fix the loo as it was a Sunday (do they not have emergency plumbers in Reading?!) and hung a piece of the cistern out for us to flush!! No choice to move room or offer us a discount!! We went to bed and the next morning woke up with the whole of the bathroom flooded as clearly the toilet needed fixing the day before!!! We had to use the toilet TWO floors down and couldn't us our bathroom! Again, all we received was moaning from Bobby! We had breakfast and she again moaned to THE WHOLE ROOM about the guests! Shocking.
Overall nice place but wouldn't stay again unless under new management and would not advise people to go unless they were deaf!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank sarahrose83
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I would strongly advise Premier Inn, the manager "Bobby" wouldnt stop whinging and the whole place needs renovating!! Smelly yellow duvet and pillows yuk !!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank skall
England
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I had a night out In Reading, which normally costs me £4 to get the train/bus in and £35-40 to get a taxi back home. So 40-50 quid just for travel in and out. I found this place on laterooms for £30 with plenty of free parking (Reading Central Travelodge is fine but there's no parking)!

Ok so the room was only a single bed and no en-suite, but the shower and loo was only next door. Bed was comfy and no probs checking in or out. Staggered in at 3am and out at 9am - slept like a log, just what was needed! Room info pack said there was free wi-fi but didn't get a chance to check that, and breakfast included - what more could you expect for 30 quid? Fantastic!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo