“Excellent will stay again will recommend”

Belle Vue House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Reading
halifax in england
“Excellent will stay again will recommend”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here last night so i could see the secret Thompson Twins gig at Sub 89. Firstly i only paid 37 quid for a night which included parking and breakfast. What cracking value. The hotel itself is spotless and well presented. The lady who is in charge is very warming, very friendly and made me feel at home. The hotel is within 10 mins walk to Sub 89 and i will definitely stay here again should any future gigs that take my fancy come up at Sub 89. The breakfast was lovely, i can not say enough about the place.Many Thanks for having me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Potential guests should understand that this is commercial B&B. The rooms are ideal for persons who frequently stay overnight on business. They are not ideal for families expecting holiday standard accommodation. This is a budget hotel. The rooms are basic but clean. The beds are very comfortable. The Manager consistently strives to make every guests stay as pleasant as possible. Breakfasts are substantial and are prepared fresh every morning. Breakfast on weekends are continental. I have stayed in this hotel many times in the last two years and have very few complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I telephoned this guest house this morning to enquire about room availability this evening. The lady who answered the telephone I found to be abrupt, rude and I got the distinct impression that she didn't want to help me. I had seen a room on another website and I was making a call to enquire and confirm the availability. She then started to argue with me over the telephone as to what should and should not be on a third party website. Rule number one: Do not argue with the customer.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Stahoughton

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

UK
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I booked this b and b because I couldn't find space in any of the business hotels in Reading on this visit, and wasn't sure what the place would be like but was pleasantly surprised. I also needed flexibility in my booking as I was unsure how long I would be staying, which the manageress was happy to accommodate with no additional charge.

For a budget b and b, I found it to be a comfortable and clean place to stay (comfortable beds) with a good continental or cooked breakfast. When the manageress realised I was off dairy products she made sure there was almond milk the following morning at breakfast. The manageress is indeed a character, but a charming one (yes with opinions) but that's what makes her a character. She makes her guests feel welcome, caters for there individual requirements and was helpful in finding some local information I was looking for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A group of ex-student friends found the Belle Vue a good option for a one night stay in budget accommodation. It's basic, but clean and comfortable, with a decent and plentiful continental breakfast available. Our recently renovated single rooms were all a good size, with (functioning!) TVs, and tea/coffee available, Good modern showers and toilet facilities. A very friendly welcome (though the people looking after the place were standing in as the owner was away for the weekend). About 10 minutes walk from the town centre, and quite convenient for the M4. My only complaint was that the tap in my room wouldn't turn off properly, which could have annoyed some people, though it didn't cause me any problems.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in September 2013. I booked the cheapest room, which had a shared bathroom and a sink in the room.

The room was tiny, in the basement and a bit grim, but for the price I was paying I didn't expect anything more. The upside was it was clean and warm, the radiator had a thermostat so I could control the temperature, though the window didn't close properly and there was a draft I found this helped me sleep, don't know what it would be like in mid winter! Also, the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in for a long time.

The shared facilities were clean, with extra towels. Two dispensers on the wall, one for shampoo, the other for shower gel. One bathroom had shampoo the other had shower gel, but they looked the same to me! Water was really hot, beware..!!

Breakfast was fine, there are also plenty of places nearby to eat and drink. I walked down to the Nags Head, 12 real ales on tap and a very friendly and eclectic clientèle.

The Manageress is a real character, she has a strong opinion on everything and its probably best not to engage in any political discussion or you will be told what your opinions should be. All in all I liked her, I found her to be courteous, helpful and an interesting person to meet.

I would have no problem staying here again, if I needed somewhere to flop within walking distance of Reading centre and that bed was heavenly.

I have given this an average rating because the basement rooms are a bit dilapidated, fine for a single man like me, looking for somewhere cheap to stay, but I wouldn't take the family. Would easily get an extra dot with a coat of paint and some work to the windows.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank prawn69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The manager is a gossip and at every opportunity to engage in a conversation would make derogatory remarks about her clients to the extent that I even thought about changing my hotel rather than face her in the mornings.

The TV did not work properly in that there were very few channels and most were in black and white and fuzzy.

The shower was tepid at best.

I really didn't want to bring these issues to to the manager's attention because I just couldn't face her.

The place has apparently been renovated but anaglypta and wood chip wallpaper painted in magnolia doesn't really cut my mustard.

The rooms are creaky and very noisy.

Breakfast is ok but will not win any awards.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo