Amherst Guest House
US$123
US$119
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$85
US$66
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Novotel Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$144
US$136
Official Site
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$95
CrownePlaza.com
US$76
US$66
All reviewsmin walk to train stationroom facilities aretown centregreat place to staybusy roadnight stayother guestsmicrowavenicolaicomfortcleanlinessradiatorconference
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stay here on a regular basis, i can't flaut anything, the rooms are excellent and the food is incredible and if you don't like somthing or they haven't got they will go out and get it for you.
They are soo thoughtful, for example on our most recent stay the room we normally have was occuiped so they gave us an up grade to a bigger and better room for no extra charge, which i have to say is now our new fav room.
Over all you are made to feel welcome at all times and relaxed with i high standerd cleanliness.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've stayed in most of the hotels and guesthouses in Reading due to being here on business. I've never felt more comfortable or relaxed as I have at Amhurst. The first night I stayed I had a wonderful nights sleep and actually ended up booking in for many weeks after. The rooms are very clean and well presented. There are lots of lovely touches like good quality bathroom goods, a snack box for if you come home hungry, a very quiet fridge and the beds and bedding are exceptional. I often struggle to sleep when I am away from home, but there's something about Amhurst that just makes you feel right at home and relaxed and I find as soon as I get to bed I fall asleep immediately. It has definitely made working away from home a lot more tolerable! Doug and Cath are very friendly and are really great for helping you make the best of your stay. I can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here on 27th April 2014 and I was pleasantly surprised. Doug, the owner, was friendly and down-to-earth, room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was superb. The decor was fine but then for less than £60, I don't think it's fair to expect high-end luxury!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank fco123
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Amherst Guest House run by Doug and Cath is a pleasant surprise in downtown Reading. The room comfort and in-room facilities are good, even though we were a family of three persons in a room probably more appropriate to a couple. The bathroom is small but adequate and well appointed. We were unaware of the presence of other guests due to the effectiveness of the sound insulation. Breakfasts are generous. If you are lucky, Doug and Cath will have time to sit and chat about Reading and its attractions,. It is an easy walk from the commercial centre.

Room Tip: Book early - this accommodation is in high demand.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Ist impression - Poor "kerb appeal" ie looks really ordinary; funny smell inside sort of sweet as if trying to cover up a smoking smell; drab carpet; request to pay immediately on arrival and choose breakfast for the next morning; partly done up rooms but awful table and poor blinds spoilt it.
Actually - all of the above but nice comfortable bed with good quality sheets and duvet, microwave and tv and plenty of biscuits, crisps etc; quite noisy; good breakfast; really helpful booklet.

Overall - OK but really not good enough. Will not stay again. Glad we only stayed one night.

Room Tip: Get one at the back. Too noisy at the front.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family