“Another top award - congratulations!”

Amherst Guest House
Ranked #3 of 17 Reading B&B and Inns
Norwich
“Another top award - congratulations!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've been using Amherst for over a year now and was very pleased to see that Doug and Cath have generated another award for excellence.
Amherst is convenient for Reading town centre, where I'm working, but also provides comfortable clean, well-managed accommodation.
Parking is available at the front of Amherst and the breakfasts are effectively as you choose at a time you choose (within reason!).
For a B & B this is definitely a 5* rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FGHOB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Amherst measured up to all the great reviews I read before booking our rooms. The location was great (slightly out of the center of town), rooms were spotless, beds comfy, breakfast just right (finally - a cup of good coffee), price was right, but best of all was the attention we got from Doug and Cath, the managers! Under their care the Amherst has become the jewell of small B & Bs in Reading. We would go back to Reading just to stay here!

Room Tip: We had room 5 - the largest and we'll.worth the extra coast but our kids were very comfortable i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Providence Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I agree with all the reviews. My husband and I stayed two nights- first on our way to Penzance and then the last night before flying back to Boston. We stayed in "Ralph's room" #5 at the top of the stairs. Loved it. Overlooked the garden, lots of space, and a super comfortable bed. Never having been to Reading before, we new little about the location. We walked from the bus/train station which took about 15 minutes, not a big deal. Locals say the neighborhood is up and coming. It seemed fine to us. The breakfast mentioned in other reviews is totally worth it. Delicious and carefully prepared. If we ever are in Reading again, we would definitely stay at the Amherst Guest House.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stay here on a regular basis, i can't flaut anything, the rooms are excellent and the food is incredible and if you don't like somthing or they haven't got they will go out and get it for you.
They are soo thoughtful, for example on our most recent stay the room we normally have was occuiped so they gave us an up grade to a bigger and better room for no extra charge, which i have to say is now our new fav room.
Over all you are made to feel welcome at all times and relaxed with i high standerd cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Nottingham
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've stayed in most of the hotels and guesthouses in Reading due to being here on business. I've never felt more comfortable or relaxed as I have at Amhurst. The first night I stayed I had a wonderful nights sleep and actually ended up booking in for many weeks after. The rooms are very clean and well presented. There are lots of lovely touches like good quality bathroom goods, a snack box for if you come home hungry, a very quiet fridge and the beds and bedding are exceptional. I often struggle to sleep when I am away from home, but there's something about Amhurst that just makes you feel right at home and relaxed and I find as soon as I get to bed I fall asleep immediately. It has definitely made working away from home a lot more tolerable! Doug and Cath are very friendly and are really great for helping you make the best of your stay. I can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

ramsgate, kent
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here on 27th April 2014 and I was pleasantly surprised. Doug, the owner, was friendly and down-to-earth, room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was superb. The decor was fine but then for less than £60, I don't think it's fair to expect high-end luxury!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank fco123
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Amherst Guest House run by Doug and Cath is a pleasant surprise in downtown Reading. The room comfort and in-room facilities are good, even though we were a family of three persons in a room probably more appropriate to a couple. The bathroom is small but adequate and well appointed. We were unaware of the presence of other guests due to the effectiveness of the sound insulation. Breakfasts are generous. If you are lucky, Doug and Cath will have time to sit and chat about Reading and its attractions,. It is an easy walk from the commercial centre.

Room Tip: Book early - this accommodation is in high demand.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family