“Underwhelmed”

La Courbe
Price range: US$21 - US$43
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: It is time we brought to you the wonderful taste and delights of the food of Lebanon. On the shores of the eastern Mediterranean - and a gateway to the Middle East, the food of Lebanon blends textures, colours, scents and flavours from both, and has long been regarded as one of the most refined cuisines in the Middle East. It is a proper balance of the European cuisine with the eastern spices. The Arabic influence is quite dominant and also prominent in our cuisine and, together, they form exotic, mouth-watering Lebanese dishes. The popularity of Lebanese food is international. It is unique in its preparation, sometimes the pastries are stuffed with vegetables, or sometimes, the vegetables are stuffed with meat. If you love Lebanese food, or are yet to indulge, then La Courbe Lebanese Restaurant will bring you an unforgettable delicious experience. And further - wine has been produced in Lebanon for thousands of years - the wines of the Bekaa Valley are respected throughout the world. The soil and climate combined together with the passion and dedication of the winemakers produce wines of quality and distinction. Our wine list includes wines from Chateau Musar, Chateau Ksara and Chateau Kefraya.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Pains me to write this, but drink (draft Peroni-best lager) and service (very good), aside, the food was disapointing. For me to pass up on finishing off my wife's Lamb Meshwa is unheard of. Lebanese is simple, must be fresh-sadly not the case-the Laheem Meshwa was not freshly griddle cooked, but pre-cooked then heated up??????
Will not be going back-which is a bummer, as my wife and I love Lebanese food.

KR DT

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Visited again on a Sunday lunchtime. Very good offer - 3 dishes for £12.

Chose the humus - superb, absolutely delicious best I've ever had - huge quantity (too much) pita bread to go with it. 2'nd dish was the chicken wings - OK but rather bland.

My third dish was Arayes - a dish I had raved about in my previous review. It was an entirely different dish this time. Last time, just after the restaurant opened, I had received flat pancakes with a loose textured lamb mince, with pine nuts. This time I received flat pancakes with a solid flattened lamb burger. Completely different texture and taste. Not unpleasant - just not the same as the delicious dish I had tried before. between the two, the dish I had been served originally was much the better.

Raising this with the waitress, I received puzzled but concerned looks. She insisted I raise thgis with the chef, who was brought from the kitchen. I was assured that the dish I had received was the correct Arayes - it doesn;t have pine nuts I was told. All I can assume it is that the Arayes I received then - which took a very long time to arrive - was not the Arayes they serve, perhaps I was given an on the spot variation as they didn't have the "correct" filling. Regardless, the version I was served originally was much the better.

Although I was not complaining as such, just questioning the difference, they were sufficiently concerned that we were given a voucher for 15% off our next meal there. A very nice touch.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Lovely atmosphere, nice staff, good drinks, watched some of the England game and had good wine. Very good choice of drinks. We sat on the couch in the corner and it was very comfortable. Will come back.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was great full to be seated as a walk in. I cannot say there was anything wrong with this restaurant. Lebanese food and wine are IMHO underrated. A good example of this food can be spectacular. Suffice it to say I remember the wine but not the meal much. Just did not float my boat as even some USA Lebanese have done.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

One of my friends is moving away from the Reading area in a couple of weeks so we wanted to do something familiar and something different when we me up for dinner. After meeting at a very familiar haunt in Kings Walk (The Mix) for pre-dinner drinks my friend suggested trying La Courbe for dinner.

The Kings Walk is currently undergoing a lot of refurbishment and construction work but it was definitely worth venturing further inside. We received a very warm welcome and were talked through the various food and wine options. We decided to order a Lebanese white wine which was delicious and very refreshing. For our dinner we chose the Light Mezze which consisted of 7 dishes. We wanted to swap one of the set dishes for something else on the menu and that was accommodated without any problem.

It might have been a Light Mezze but as you can see from the photo there was plenty to eat and we couldn't finish everything even though we really wanted to.

We really enjoyed our dinner and I am looking forward to going back very soon.