“Disappointed but...”

La Courbe
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: It is time we brought to you the wonderful taste and delights of the food of Lebanon. On the shores of the eastern Mediterranean - and a gateway to the Middle East, the food of Lebanon blends textures, colours, scents and flavours from both, and has long been regarded as one of the most refined cuisines in the Middle East. It is a proper balance of the European cuisine with the eastern spices. The Arabic influence is quite dominant and also prominent in our cuisine and, together, they form exotic, mouth-watering Lebanese dishes. The popularity of Lebanese food is international. It is unique in its preparation, sometimes the pastries are stuffed with vegetables, or sometimes, the vegetables are stuffed with meat. If you love Lebanese food, or are yet to indulge, then La Courbe Lebanese Restaurant will bring you an unforgettable delicious experience. And further - wine has been produced in Lebanon for thousands of years - the wines of the Bekaa Valley are respected throughout the world. The soil and climate combined together with the passion and dedication of the winemakers produce wines of quality and distinction. Our wine list includes wines from Chateau Musar, Chateau Ksara and Chateau Kefraya.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am in holidays and I decided to visit this city, Reading, to see old friends!
I visit this place two times.
Every time I've been there was always very welcoming.
You can feel that staff is always concerned with you and always make sure that you are satisfied.
At the bar I had a mojito everytime and until today was the best mojito that I've tasted in my life.

What I didn't like was the fact that the two times I visit this place, a old man serving at the tables and talking, talking, talking about his life and his career. Too boring... We went to have fun and relax, not to listen the Owner's history and what he did, what he have, what he do and why. Also when he is drinking behind the bar and eating leaving a mess on the floor as he was a costumer which is not the way he should present himself as the owner, just disgusting. No manners...

However the bar decor is beautiful and very comfortable sofas.

Restaurant too hot and too much smoke in the air.
However again, the bold guy and a girl, very overwhelming.
Food is refreshing and hot mezze, like sambouseek cheese, just perfect.
Very fast to arrived at our table and simply perfect, almost making forget the worm inside when we tasted each dish.

To finish just an advice.
In my opinion if you want to have a success business, don't be yourself serving at tables and talking hours a few.
Don't eat and drink in front of your customers if you want a Classic and charming place like you said.

Thank you for the hospitality and success for all of you.

Helen.

2  Thank Helen M

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The food here is very nice and reasonably priced, the lamb and chicken skewers were cooked to perfection and the lamb was extremely tender, the cheese pastries were amazing and the salads we had were very fresh and full of flavor, on the down side, the french fries were quite dry and seemed slightly under cooked and one of are Kibbeh meatballs was still cold in the center and thus was inedible though my Husband did not want to inform the staff or make a fuss about this against my wishes, to be fair the other 3 of the meatballs were all hot and again the taste was lovely, judging by the coldness of the under-cooked one they appeared to have been cooked from frozen, however overall the food was superb and certainly something different.

This was our second visit here, it has to be said the decor and layout of the restaurant is quite strange and the colour scheme of the walls is horrible however to be fair the next door wine bar is quite chic and elegant (though always appears empty). The restaurant does get very smokey and also very warm and lacks air conditioning which is also quite strange in a modern restaurant, however the gem of the restaurant is the food which despite the above issue with the cold meatball, i can't recommend highly enough it really is lovely food.

The only real down side to our visit was the service, the waitress was so OTT and loud and it felt as if she would not leave us alone, my Husband almost asked her to leave our table at one point as she just talked and talked, again to be fair we had previously been served by an excellent chap on our previous visit who was much more professional and took us through the menu in a much more understated way.
The waitress really did annoy and seemed to be trying to hard and was almost to polite to the point of insincerity, the next table were also overheard making similar remarks and appeared to be making a joke out of it, a more professional level of service would really have made more of our evening.

Should also say the cocktails here are about the best we have tried outside of London's cocktail bars and come highly recommended however the wine is pricey and there appears nothing for less than £22-£23.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We finally got round to trying this place for the first time last night and I really like it.

We started off having a glass of wine each in the wine bar. The wine is pricey but not obscenely so for the quality and the selection is huge. It's nice that the owner is on hand to talk about the wine and recommend too. It was really nice being able to sit and chat feeling so relaxed while having our drinks, not like the chains we have down by the Oracle.

Then we headed through for some food. We had the chef's mezze platter thing...9 dishes plus mixed grill for £49. Some dishes we're stand out, amazing hummous! We also tacked on the spicy sausage which was delicious.

All of the food was tasty and nicely cooked, my bf feels it was a bit pricey for what we had but I disagree...up to the individual!

I also had a passion fruit and ginger caipirinha cocktail which was delicious. Great that the guy who made it presented it to me personally and made me check it was to my taste before leaving me with it.

The only real downer for me was that the lady who served us in the restaurant went a bit overboard with the compliments. I'd definitely go back and recommend it to friends and family.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have been here twice, once for the food and once for the cocktails.

The restaurant and bar are a little quiet but they are clean, modern and welcoming.

I went with a friend for the food and we had the meat mezze platter. Even though it was slightly pricier than I would usually pay the cocktails more than made up for it.

The service is friendly and helpful and the cocktails were absolutely divine.

We are going back for the Happy Hour cocktails!

1  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The mezzes at La Courbe are delicious, we had a mixture of these instead of mains.
We had six mezzes, which were more than enough for two people. The hummus and Labneh were our favourites.
The lebonese red wine that we ordered was really smooth, and full of flavour.

The service was friendly and quick. I've never seen the restaurant full, but don't let that put you off trying this gem of a restaurant.