“I would not go back - Don't bother - EVEN if you have a special offer!”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
london
“I would not go back - Don't bother - EVEN if you have a special offer!”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I am not one to complain or criticise about the silly things when I visit a hotel.
As you can see from my reviews I’m easily pleased.

I was not pleased with the Lake Reading Hotel at all. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the river, which was very romantic. As soon as we walked into our room we noticed that our bed was very small. It was a small Double, if we put together two singles they would have been bigger. We had a TV with only 5 channel, which was annoying as we didn’t even have freeview.

Bathroom had hair on the floor and in the bath. The wallpaper was coming off the walls.

We had a rough nights sleep due to the small bed – we hardly got any sleep.

We had Bed and Breakfast included, we filled out a breakfast form the night before and hanged it on the door. The hotel failed to pick up our form and we did not get breakfast on time. I then called the restaurant and ordered our breakfast. When our food arrived the order was completely wrong. I specifically stated that I did not want meat on my plate and they ignored my request and also missed things off.

We had Dinner at the hotel – Restaurant staff we very nice. Average food – not worth the money. I ordered Steak and Chips which cost £18.00. The steak wasn’t great. I left most of it. We ordered desert to our room and we got a fork instead of spoon to eat our custard. HHhhhmmmm.

Night 2 was not great. We thought because we were so tired we would probably sleep through the 2nd night. But that wasn’t the case and we were looking forward to going home.

We had breakfast and left because I just wanted to go home and sleep.

When leaving the hotel the reception (Eastern European Lady) left the reception to make tea. So we had to wait around in the hotel longer. When returning she did not apologise, she didn’t ask if we had a nice stay but just gave me the bill – no smile or no eye contact, no thank you or see you soon.

I was very disappointed with my stay and I will not be returning. Waste of money and a waste of a “Romantic weekend”

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
arthurreading, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
It is most disappointing to read of the issues you encountered on your recent stay and thank you for bringing them to my attention.
We fully appreciate the feedback we receive and use this wherever possible to improve the service and facilities we have available to our guests.
Yours Sincerely
Paul Hodgson
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We have just got back from a 2 day trip to Reading, and stayed at this hotel for 1 night.
First impressions? Hotel looked shabby from the outside, a bit like an old people's apartment, but lots of FREE parking. Lovely large Foyer/Reception. Lounge/Bar - very sophisticated, Dining room - Well decorated and classy. Bedroom - Shabby but clean.
We had a room over looking the lake, all rooms are ensuite, and i had booked a standard double room. Bathroom was small, about the same size as i have at home. No toilet paper holder, and only set up for one person, although they knew there was going to be two in the room. No safe, as included in the price, and when i complained i was offered a room with no lake view but a safe - inappropriate, so i refused. We put up with no Safe. Although the manager did not offer any compensation or further incentives to return.
Good points - The heating wasn't on in the room, but it was very hot, and when the door couldnt be opened, there was a fan to use. The TV worked, and there was a cool working fridge in the cupboard, along with alot of other working items, e.g. lamp and hairdryer. Complimentary Tea, Coffee and Chocolate to drink with biscuits. The room was very clean. The Restaurant food was very good and all fresh veg and the breakfast was a help yourself deal and was also very worth the £8.00 (although I had paid for this in advance and cost me £9. each) The staff were friendly, although the Receptionist did not read my online booking printout, and gave me a room card with no breakfast, which i later pointed out i had booked it with breakfast and she happily changed it and apologised. The standard rooms are quite large, large enough to get a child or two small children.
Downside - The bed was hard, The valance sheet was dirty, the bath mat was stained, there were no flannels available for use, the food menu was very short and very expensive, Drinks at the bar, i overheard someone else complaining at the price of them. The toiletries provided had no scent, and reminded me of Simple soap and the same with the shower/hair shampoo.I'm sure for a 4 Star hotel, they could have provided somthing like the English Inns provide., and some of them are not even 4 stars! The worst part of this room was security, the door had no inside lock, only a door chain. The reason why the safe was not included in this room, was because someone had broken into the last one, and they had not replaced it. The door key was just literally THAT, no swipe card.
For a 4 Star hotel, it doesn't come up by half to the standards and no where as good as a Copthorne hotel. Very disappointed., wont be using them again.
AND Certainly NOT good value for money! £84.00 a night with breakfast included on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Book online, try and find the best deals, all sites are not the same, even their own website can be...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank radicol2001

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Hotel staff bit vague , but hotel nice, room was great just for quick stop on route to Lego land, beautiful surroundings and close to reading and 3min drive to pub and river would use again!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Lisking
Logroño
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Great location for a hotel but a bit out of the way if no transport. Rooms nice and breakfast good. Great value for a late deal.

Room Tip: check the late deal booking sites
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Very nice room, took chairs onto the balcony and watched the wildlife on the lake very relaxing break

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elken
Leeds
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Having used this hotel a couple of times this is the 1st time I felt I needed to write a review.

While it is functional and practical and convenient for us for the office it isn't somewhere I look forward to staying in from a aesthetic aspect.

The rooms are comfortable, well sized for business and have the required "must haves" i.e. desk, bed, wardrobe etc. Lovely and quiet as the rooms face the lake but that is unfortunately it.

There is no air conditioning in summer and only a very small heater for the winter (I slept with the door open in July), the decor is clean but tired and only wired internet access in the rooms (I haven't tried the bar to see if they have wireless) with a short cable so no surfing from bed.

TV (ok, is an extra but what else is there to on a business trip) is very limited - the internet that is supposed to come through the TV doesn't work, neither do the music or movies on demand.

Bathroom was clean but again, very tired and in need of a deep clean to remove limescale marks but otherwise serviceable (good water pressure in the shower though).

Communal areas are well presented, shame the rooms are looking tired.

Dinner in the Waterfront restaurant - acceptable. 2 courses for £17.95, 3 for just over £20. Pasta with tomato and wild mushroom sauce (it was ok - I can do better) and pecan pie (again, ok but nothing spectacular)

Ultimately, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to the company to renew the rate agreement.

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake with a private balcony - useful with no air con.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank JemmaLeeds
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

first off great location! only good point so may aswell say that first!

tired dated small room even tho we where charge extra for a larger room! hard horrible beds! not to mension that the rooms are roasting hot! no air con as stated!

rooms are stated to have t.v that is a joke of a statement unless you count a computer screen with 3 channels as a t.v on the plus side you can pay extra for FREEview!!!!! but then i did see the point in watching and paying for FREEview to watch on a computer monitor!

then there is the VERY over priced food which you would find in a very poor b&b a frozen burnt dryed out breakfast was enough of the menu for me thanks i thought i would give there £7 sandwhichs a miss!

so i would recommend this hotel if you like over priced bed n breakfasts with cold food and wooden planks for beds with a sheet for a duvet!

will never be returning or recommending this hotel

• Stayed July 2011