“Friendly welcoming hotel”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very nice setting and picturess staff morning and night very helpful and polite
My only gripe is that the hotel could use a little make over outside and a slight clean up when venturing around the grounds.
The rooms where things have been repaired need to be (as you say) snagged a little better and simple basic repairs would up the standard overall.
I would suggest that each room needs an ironing board and iron plus some form of air conditioning.
But overall this hotel is value for money and I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for The Reading Lake Hotel

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The positive- location at the lake was great but not enough to bring this experience up to more than one star!
Reception was un enthusiastic, room was dated, bath room interior was broken in several areas and no a/c not wifi. To top it off, the chef (!) prepared our eggs to order in the microwave despite us being the only people in the breakfast area.
Maybe there has been flooding in some of the hotel but that does not excuse lazy staff, broken nor peeling room interior.
Hotel is very hard to find, signage is very poor in the late evening.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hotel is in a nice location. Having a room overlooking the lakes is a nice touch. Décor is clean but looks tired in places. Room was functional and clean, but a little dated. The TV had very limited channels and was an old CRT set that looked 15 years old! Kettle didn't work either.

Initial welcome to hotel was fine. I didn't eat there in the evening, but the breakfast experience wasn't good. Breakfast service started 6:30. I arrived at 6:25 to be greeted with a "I'm no where near ready" by the lady setting up. I walked out, checked out and left.

Whilst I won't avoid this hotel, it won't be my first choice either.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Macboy5
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lovely setting right on the lake. Two things let the hotel down. One is the service which wasn't proactive and I got the distinct impression I was being ignored for a minute or two as staff busied themselves with other jobs while not looking at me directly (I am tall and substantially built so not easy to miss). When the staff did meander in my direction the service was then OK, as was the food. The other complaint is the overpowering heat in the room. It was a hot night and there is no means of cooling the room other than leaving the balcony door open all night. I discarded the duvet completely but was still hot. I mentioned this to the man at reception on checkout and he said they were looking at this. They are also looking at providing free wifi which they don't currently have.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lemmus
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I would just to like to say a big thank you to the staff at the hotel, they were welcoming and we found bar staff and restaurant staff equally as pleasant. You can see where the flooding has called some damage but our room was lovely with a balcony overlooking the picturesque lake. The food in the restaurant was delicious. After reading the comments on trip advisor I was not sure what to expect but we are so glad we chose the hotel. It just goes to show you shouldnt believe all you read.

We had a wonderful stay thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley h
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were travelling as part of an organised coach trip on a 2 day 1 night break. The reviews were worrying, but the hotel was not as bad as expected. The location was beautiful, the room was clean if a little tired, the views were amazing! Ground floor closed apart from the dining area which seemed to double as a lounge, but not an ideal place to relax and have a pre or after drink. There is a smell of damp but not in our room, nor was it overpowering to be really unpleasant. The staff ( in black uniform) need some training in how to be pleasant and enthusiastic, I was misinformed about our inclusive group meal arrangements, which was rather annoying, although he did apologise! Both evening meal and breakfast was very good, can't fault that! Overall, I would recommend it for a short break.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view with the sun on an evening. Can't recall seeing a lift but presume th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank christine r
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have stayed in many hotels and for the money we paid I couldn't fault it. The views of the
Lake are stunning. The hotel has had water damage but as we were on the first floor the only sign of this was the peeling paper in the lift. Our room was large and clean, breakfast was good and there staff friendly and helpful. We had a quiet, peaceful night. Would stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake, we were in 229 and it was great
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family