“Wish I had read the reviews first”

Crown Lodge Guest House
Ranked #6 of 19 Reading B&B and Inns
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Wish I had read the reviews first”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Noisy, didn't sleep most of the night. Hot, so had to have the window open and room on road side so heard all the racers going up and down the road all night. TV or person talking all night downstairs. Felt like I needed a good night sleep after staying here.
Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment.
Room dated and smelled, could have been cleaned better.
Free parking was the only benefit of staying here.
Would not stay again nor would I recommend it to anyone else, it wasn't worth the money.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, get a room at the back and hope the other guests are not noisy as the walls and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Painswick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

The people were nice, the room was what I expected for the price, the food was good. The problem was the headache I got from the mold ridden bathroom. The smell permeated the room & nothing helped air it out. I could not get out of there soon enough! It took two days for the headache to subside.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MDpruett

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights on business. I was a bit nervous as I am not keen on B&Bs. The welcome I received from the owner was warm and friendly. I stayed in a single room with a double bed very comfy though the room could do with an update. It was clean though. Breakfast was nice was met each morning by the owners wife she was friendly. I would say change the juice it tasted cheap. I emailed in advance of my stay advising them I was gluten free. They accomodated my request. Don't be put off by the surrounding area it is run down and I must admit my first day I was greeted by a load of drunks. But to be fair they were harmless. It is a 5 min walk to the town centre very handy and it has everything. Do try the singapore takeaway in the high Road opposite the church very tasty!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CillaA_12
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Pros
1. Place was warm
2. Parking is on site and free
3. I gave 3 stars for the service as the only preserve to have with your toast at breakfast was jam but when we asked if marmalade was available the manager said no but offered us his own marmalade.
4. when we discovered that the roads would be closed from 9am - 3pm on the day we were leaving when the manager heard us phoning another hotel to enquire whether it was affected by the half marathon he said we could stay in the room till 3pm. Due to the poor hygiene and early time of breakfast we decided to leave early
Cons
1. Room smelt terrible and then we discovered soiled underpants in a drawer in the room - the manager blamed the cleaning staff but apparently there were only 8 guests staying in the house so he surely would have time to check the rooms were presentable before accepting booked in guests.
2. Extra pillows were lying on top of a layer of thick dust on a shelf in the cupboard
3. The bathroom and shower had a bad smell
4. The signal to the T.V. kept going and so did the WIFI connection
5. No full english breakfast over the weekend and breakfast is btwn 8am & 9am which was a bit early for us considering we were in Reading for a birthday party celebration the night before and went to be late
6. The radiator in the passage outside our bedroom door creaked on and off all night making it difficult to sleep.
7. On arrival we discovered the road to and from the Guest House would be closed from 9am - 3pm on the day we were leaving due to the half marathon. Had we have been advised of this fact when the booking was made we would not have chosen to stay at the Guest House.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann A
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The hotel is located near a mosque and is well supplied with nearby takeaway and fruit shops. It is about 10 minutes away from the main train station.

The host was very welcoming and accomodating.

Our room on the ground floor was spacious, although a bit dated and you could hear every step in the corridor - so I would not recommend a romantic break there! Our shower was tiny and the flush button on the toilet was broken. But otherwise a good stay overall.

Room Tip: Not a room on the double ground floor - as you hear everyone coming through the main door
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Make sure you see the room before you pay.
We were given a room not in the Hotel booked but to a buidling next to it that was being refurbished - definetely not corresponding to the rate appearing in the site.
The room was not clean.
The toilet door was not even painted.
The bed covers had holes.
No towels were given for the face.
No soap for the shower.
The overall impression for cleanliness was very very poor.
Car park and wi-fi free as mentioned in the booking.
O would not recommend it to anyone - very bad experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank George Z
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I've been staying at the Crown Lodge for about 2 nights per week since the start of the year and have found it to be very well run and good value for money. The Guest House is managed by a friendly couple who always provide a warm welcome whatever time I arrive. The rooms are clean, warm and well kept, with free wi fi and good breakfast. The car park is well lit with CCTV and the centre of Reading is just a short walk way.

I have found my stays to be very enjoyable and would recommend the Crown Lodge.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business