“Good but expensive”

The Forbury Roseate
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A nice hotel, friendly staff and good location, although very expensive. Arriving by car was quite a task, arriving in Reading at 2.30 and finally getting to the hotel at 3.05 due to one way streets, traffic and bus only routes. On arrival greeted by the doorman, who was very polite. The car keys were taken and the car parked for by the doorman (in an outside courtyard at the rear of the hotel. Parking was £12.00 and paid within the bill at the end of the stay. We weren’t shown where the room was so guessed it was on the 2nd floor. The corridors are lovely and quiet and keep to the old building theme, dimly lit and dark wood. The room was a nice surprise, although for the money they should be. Took some searching to find the coffee and tea etc in the wardrobe and disappointed to find only a small amount of milk supplied. As there was a fridge in the room maybe a pint would have been more appropriate and not cost the hotel too much money. The TV was quite hard to work and the channels limited for such a hotel, the remote weighed a ton!. We couldn’t figure out how to turn the TV off as there were no buttons on the unit and when we tried via the remote it just left a screen that still emitted light. We turned it off from the switch on the wall but when we turned it on again it needed a code input to get it working again so we didn’t bother. The CD’s in the room were of a certain taste (not mine) and the DVD selection (although a good point having them there in the first place) were limited to ‘Alien’ and the likes of ‘Ground Hog Day’. I only had about 2 hours sleep due to the heat in the room. We could open one window and there was no draught, so it stayed hot all night. There didn’t seem to be any form of AC or Heating. The pillows were awful, they were that thin and squidgy your head was on the bed base and even folding over and doubling up didn’t help. The breakfast, although very well cooked, was small for £17.00 per head. The beans came in the usual small pot, usual now for some reason in hotels; mainly I think to make it look like your getting more. I have included photos). On our departure we were overcharged by £34.00 and it took myself showing the staff the e mail sent confirming the total cost for them to reduce the bill. They tried to charge me twice fro breakfast. Overall a good stay. The bathroom, shower room and vanity products were very good. Water was hot, toilet worked after a fashion. Location was good, although I could imagine it gets quite noisy at night if you picked the wrong night. Would stay again.

Room Tip: book via late rooms as late as possible and check the latest deal
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2011

This hotel was simply surberb! From the valet parking and glass of champagne on arrival to the beautifully decorated room! The service was perfect without the snobbery sometimes encountered in high end establishments. The bath was fantastic big enough for two, with lovely bath products. Added extra such as the state of the art music system and fresh milk for tea and coffee.
A short walk away was Reading centre with stores and restaurants galore so a perfect city break and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Late rooms got a good deal!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We booked their Romantic Getaway - dinner, bed & breakfast , chocs and a bottle of house champagne ( which was verfy pleasant) for £225.
The parking was an extra 12, but worth it as I don't know reading at all.
The room was lovely, with comfortable beds, a funky B&O TV & sound system with the heaviest remote control I have ever held. It was a bit warm, and Reading was a bit noisy with the windows open, but that was the only complaint.
Bathroom terrific - deep bath and monsoon shower.
Dinner @ Cerise was very good, and cocktails were excellent. The wine list covered all price ranges and was well thought out.
Breakfast was slow, but probably worth the wait as cooked to order.,
The retail heart of Reading with the original High Street and The Oracle were only 100 yards away and they were happy for us to leave the car there until the early afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We booked the Forbury because of its location which is simply superb; minutes from both the town and the station. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome - nothing was too difficult for the wonderful staff. Valet parking was a great service and our room was sumptious and very user friendly. Everything was where you expected it to be and everything worked from the B&O sound system (also in the bathroom) with it's selection of CDs and DVDs to the the amazing monsoon style shower and the huge bath. Quality fabrics and bed linen made the place feel very special indeed. Breakfast was a feast. We loved it all and we are planning to return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Our room (29) was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I took my girlfriend here for a Valentine's weekend, and have stayed here a few times in the past.

Every time the service is incredibly professional and excellent.
Sadly, due to the idiot health and safety brigade that seem to have an ever increasing stranglehold on enjoyable things in life, the rooms now no longer have fires in them, but the larger rooms are still extremely plush.

It's not as extravagant now as it used to be, but the food is still excellent and it's one of the highest quality venues I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.
It even has its own cinema!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Stayed here 1 night on 14th July 2011 to celebrate my 6th Wedding Anniversary with my husband.
From the moment I walked through the door and asked where we could park and a valet was sent back out with me to park the car for us I knew this place was going to be good!
Staff - very friendly and helpful at all times, say what they are going to do, and do what they say. We were also able to check in an hour early which was a bonus.
We were given a complimentary afternoon tea in the Secret Garden (which is lovely and tranquil) and I'm more of a G&T person than afternoon tea, but it was truly divine, hot scones with clotted cream and home made jam, eclairs, fingers sandwiches of all varieties, and lots and lots of tea - definitely worth it.
The room was lovely, 4 poster bed, robes and slippers provided, a little fridge with water and milk, a little kettle and tea and coffee provided, soft fluffy towels and The White Company toiletries. I love everything about this place, the opulence and sheer decadence is tasteful and hubby definitely appreciated the B&O equipment!
I loved this place and the location, spent a lovely evening at The Riverside and am hoping to come back in October. The only slight niggle I had was I could only find one plug socket, so when I wanted to charge my phone, straighten my hair and put the fan on I couldn't - but hey what's frizzy hair for one day!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed at The Forbury Hotel, along with several family members, as part of our Silver Wedding Anniversary celebrations. All the rooms were absolutely lovely, with beautiful furniture, really different touches and everything you could possibly think of to make your stay special. The event itself was seamlessly arranged by the events team. We had a private area of the hotel restaurant and use of the 'secret garden' with its cushioned seating and heaters and gorgeous water feature. The tables looked fantastic, the bar staff 'worked their socks off' creating amazing cocktails for our family and friends, and the food was sublime - we had so many lovely comments. The Forbury Hotel is a very special hotel which you'd never expect to find in the centre of Reading and is so worth a visit. Thanks again to all the staff that made our celebrations so very memorable. See you soon.....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Malmaison Reading
#6 of 31 in Reading
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Stockcross

Been to The Forbury Roseate? Share your experiences!