“Much more like it”

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Romford, United Kingdom
“Much more like it”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Bear in mind that this is a pub just across the road from The Oracle.

The staff were attentive and courteous on arrival and I very easily settled in. Room quality was very high and I was most impressed with the quality of the shower. Without a doubt the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. Breakfast was average with a ready supply of coffee. One plus was being able to choose how much butter I wanted rather than having it rationed.

This is a pub and as it was Friday night, noise levels were pleasantly low.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Had lunch here with a friend - and we were not impressed. Initially it took at least ten minutes to get served as there was no-one behind the bar and there was only one visible member of staff who was taking a hotel booking on the phone (which took a long time). It cost £6 for a tuna and cheese jacket potato that did not have enough butter in it, wasn't very hot and the skin was soggy. You had to help yourself to cutlery and sauces (and there was only salad cream and not any mayonnaise). The place was very empty - perhaps the evenings are livelier/better? Overall it was pretty poor and not somewhere i would hurry back to....

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was on a conference at Reading and stayed at Great Expectations for 3 nights. Was a pretty good experience. The staff were very accommodating of my special requests for breakfast and were generally very friendly. Though the rooms weren't very big and the beds not exactly comfortable both my friend and I enjoyed our stay very much, especially the quirkiness of the place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RoniLDN
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night during the Reading festival period.
The hotel was wonderful, the bed was comfy and the shower was hot! Exactly what we wanted after a night at the festival! The hotel was easy to find, and well located - a short walk into town. The staff were very friendly - the even printed us off a map showing us how to get to the festival (much appreciated as we have never been to reading town before). The breakfast was included in our room rate and was delicious! The decorations inside of the hotel were brilliant - love the theme. It was different to any hotel I have been to and had a cosy atmosphere. Thank you very much for a wonderful stay - will be returning on my next trip to reading :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanJones72
North Devon
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My second visit here but this time as a solo traveller my previous visit had been excellent :) This time as I was on my own I booked a single room which as ususl costs more than sharing a double.The size of the room was fine and the bathroom clean and bed comfortable.The main problem though was the noise as directly outside the bedroom window was the extractor/generator for the kitchens which omitted a considerable amount of noise from 6.45am through to 11.00pm making sleep very difficult between these times even with the window closed and as the room was so hot ( it was July) I had to sit up till after 11.00pm to open the window overnight.This was a real shame as everything else especially the hearty breakfast was really good.I would probably stay again but would make sure I wasn't allocated room 8.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lizzie123Devon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you are a fan of the vibe of old England, this hotel is for you! I found this inn absolutely great. It has an amazing energy of old times - as soon as you enter the hotel, you can feel it. It is said to be once visited by Charles Dickens and it used to be a theatre. It is very pleasant to be inside the hotel, especially in the library - it has many old books in it - I was really impressed by that place, very inviting. I found the room very cute and very clean. It has nice wooden furniture and pleasant colours. I felt very cosy there and would go there again. For a price of the night - it is a very good deal. Also, I loved the passages to get to the room - there is something magical in them. Overally, the hotel DID meet my expectations and even exceeded them. I very much enjoyed my stay! Thank you! P.S. One thing - be careful if you come very late to check in - I think they close after 22.30.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I found this hotel by accident, for me working away it has all I require, a large room, a clean bed, large bathroom and cooked breakfast. The bar has a great atmosphere, the staff are always welcoming and very friendly. Yes some of the rooms could do with a change of carpet or a good clean, but value for money against the Ibis, travel lodge or premier inn locally it's excellent. Why pay £120 a night for a room and additional for breakfast when you can stay here for probably half that and get a hand cooked fresh yummy breakfast.

Room Tip: If I was picky ask for a room on the second floor as some nights they have a quiz and music, so firs...