“Good hotel with all the amenities but a touch expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Novotel Reading Centre
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bangalore, India
“Good hotel with all the amenities but a touch expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Spent two weeks at this hotel. Located right in the town center and everything in Reading is easily accessible. The staff is very courteous but the hotel as such is very expensive. All the amenities right from Wi-Fi to laundry are expensive. They need to improve the quality of rooms for what they charge.
The menu in breakfast is same all week. It was a bit shocking.
They provide Wi-Fi codes in cards which have to be entered on the system/mobile daily and it expires in 24hrs. It is very time consuming if you are traveling with multiple devices and on a long visit.
The rooms are pretty small when compared with Novotel standards.
Overall I had a good experience in the hotel and the indoor swimming pool, Gym is pretty useful.

1 Thank trgowtham
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Novotel Reading, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. We have taken your feedback on board and will look at ways we can improve what we are doing. We hope to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had an effective and welcoming check-in; staff are multilingual. My room had a queen-sized bed and was compact with most things I needed. Air-con not effective and Wi-Fi free, but I couldn't get it till the morning, so too variable. I asked for a robe to go to the leisure centre but this was not possible, which was odd. The lift goes straight there, so not being shy, I towelled-up instead! The leisure centre is a lovely little place, again compact - all very clean, which is confidence-inspiring (the sauna is still out of order but the hamman is super). Breakfast was good and check-out efficient.
I have been here a number of times for conferences and their customer service (mostly via Jackie) is second to none - nothing is too much trouble.
so, bar a few niggles, I would be happy to stay there again and recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the service we deliver. I do hope as a regular guest we get to welcome you back again in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

2 nights in this hotel. A pleasure to test the swimming pool... empty lot of time... the sauna was not working very well (Not sooo hot inside) but the hammam and swimming pool are really nice for a hotel leisure center. The Gymnasium have all the thing that you need to practice your fitness that you have at the gym center at home... So do not be in rush to miss your Fitness training if you are in business trip during the week or leisure during the week end as you will have everything in this hotel to keep going! + the lift goes directly to the leisure center so can leave your room in Speedo or Fitness clothes and go immediatly to the gym... do not need to pass by the reception :)

The room is more efficient for 1 person. The large double bed (for me just the pillow need to be upgrade). The bathroom is really nice: shower or bath... up to your choice... The design of the sink is lovely :-)
+ the sound from the TV is also in the bathroom.. you can play your music via the plug or listen radio or TV channel when you relaxing in your bath or take a shower... Really nice.
+ the bathroom door are color glass. So if you close it and switch on the light of the bathroom.. you have a really relaxing atmosphere in your room without need other light (the light in the room are horrible for my self).

If you need ice... in the corridor you have a ice machine dispenser 24/7 with cup (really useful for a saturday night).

I like to have the iron and safe in my room. Tea and coffea facilitie for free.
Need to have the free wifi and it will be perfect.

For the staff: smiling and organise.
My personnal paper for check in was ready (not good for the planet, do not understand why is not in informatic and guest need to make a electronical sign), quick check in (less than 5 min) and check out also.
The bar staff are really nice... They make a mistake and they fix it directly without I need to ask something.
Breakfast team keep going... is the first time that I meet a kitchen staff smiling and asking me "how are you? how was your night?". I do not remember their name but in 2 days 2 differents staff filling the buffet and both ask me this... and mean it... not just asking like this :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on here, we rreally appreciate it. The feedback is invaluable to us to improve what we do and the service we offer. However we do offer free WIFI throughout the hotel, I am not sure why you were unable to acess it. We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Reading in the future.
Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Would highly recommend the Novotel Reading as THE place to stay when your in the area whether it is on business or pleasure. The hotel is upscale and close to everything you need to include fine restaurants, shopping center, train and bus station all that will ensure that you have a memorable and comfortable stay!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you so much for your amazing review of my hotel. The team will be delighted to read that not only did we meet your expectations but we exceeded them. I really hope you will return to Novotel Reading in the future and your next stay with us is just as good as this one. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan- General Manager
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly. It was great to be able to have the use of a swimming pool which was very clean. The changing rooms were looked after well with the towels and shower gel checked often. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and cosy. The only downsides of the hotel were the extremely high stools in the bar which were complemented by the extremely high prices of the drinks! The hotel is an oasis in the maelstrom of hideous filth that is Reading town centre.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here about your stay. I am really glad you enjoyed it and the facilities we have to offer. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I visited this hotel in December on a coach trip to downtown abbey. Unfortunately I was taken ill in the dining room. The staff in the hotel really looked after my friends as I was taken to hospital. I can only say the hotel rooms bathroom etc were lovely. I will defiantly go back as we have family who live in reading. My thanks to everyone who helped.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thanks so much for your feedback about your stay in December. We remember you very well and I am delighted to hear that you are well now. I do hope you manage to come back and visit us as we would be delighted to see you. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Well-located for central Reading, and not too far from the bus stop for nearby TVP where I had meetings both days, but the hotel is average, nothing more. My room looked out on a dirty terrace that with holes in it, and tiling missing, the furniture was cheap and flimsy, and the carpet was so dirty that I hesitated to walk barefoot on it. The staff are helpful and friendly and breakfast is nice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I am so sorry about the issues you experienced and please be assured that I am addressing them. If you are ever returning to Novotel Reading, please contact me directly on jacqui.mcmillan@accor.com. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager