“Great location -typical Novotel”

Novotel Reading Centre
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is a typical Novotel hotel with good rooms and facilities including swimming pool and fitness centre. I wouldn't have rated this a 4 star hotel but I think it has this due to the facilities. The customer service of the staff was really good both at check-in and at breakfast. The room was bog standard really and included a fridge and kettle too. The room was on the Main Street however being a Saturday night my sleep was extremely disrupted when all the clubs emptied out and we could hear them all and then the rubbish vans in the early hours so ask for a room away from the Main Street if you would like a decent night sleep! We had a night cap in the hotel bar on Saturday night which was pleasant again friendly staff. Breakfast was a selection of cold and hot buffet with cold meats, cheeses, yoghurts, fruit, full hot English breakfast and patisseries. The price was originally around £16 which is very over priced especially for reading however if you are staying there at the weekend they offer it for £8 upon check in which is good value for money for what you get.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Main Street if you want to sleep (especially on a Saturday night!)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lollipop9
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for posting your thoughts about your recent stay at Novotel Reading Centre. I appreciate your feedback about the noise issue at night and of course if you are returning, please let me know and we will make sure you are allocated a room at the back of the hotel to alleviate this issue. I am sorry however that you do not think we are a 4 star hotel. We have been graded this every year since opening and this grading is based not only on the product and facilities but also the service standards we offer. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed during very warm weather and air con ineffective. Firm, kingsize bed, spotless room with sofa. Separate toilet and bathroom, with walk in shower and a bath. Cupboard to hang clothes, but no shelves. Free wifi in rooms. Location excellent. Very central and round corner from station.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback on this site with regards to your stay at Novotel Reading. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and indeed the lcoation to the train station is perfect. My housekeeper was delighted with your comments about the cleanliness as this is hugely important to us. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The one negative thing I can think to say of this hotel is true for many European hotels: the front desk is not staffed past a certain time at night so do try to arrive before it is too late at night.

Everything else is two thumbs up here. Nice facilities: very clean and modern. The room was probably the biggest room of my two weeks in Europe, but that's hard to judge if I stayed in tiny rooms or if these rooms are a little bigger than average. Was pleased with the quality of furniture and tv and was especially pleased with the bathroom. Just a stand up shower, but let's be honest: sitting naked in a hotel tub is kind of creepy, no? So I was happy with the glass doored shower. Bed was fine. Free computer access in the lobby was fine. The little interaction I had with stag was fine. The hotel is easy walking distance to the train station and an Argos. Pro tip to US tourists: need a hair straightener or other personal electronic that will play nice with European voltage? Argos has a great website you can read reviews and check in store availability, and even reserve products in advance for quick pick up, and skip the often unreliable converters. I bought a fantastic hair straightener for something like $40 that gave me the same results as my $200 straightener I use in the us. With the help of a 99 cent plug adapter, I had great hair across Europe and now have a backup straightener at home.

Anyway back to the hotel: not especially convenient to London if you are making a daily trip in (it's east enough, but the commute home late at night after a long day of sightseeing is exhausting). But if Reading is your ideal locale, I think this is a great value for the money.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your review about your stay in Novotel Reading in August of last year, we really appreciate you taking the time to do it. I am really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit the UK. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. The Hotel is a good standard, large clean rooms with everything you need. For a town centre hotel I was very surprised that the room was extremely quiet and I heard no external noise at all. The bed was also very comfortable and the air conditioning quiet - all good news if you want a good night's sleep.

The staff were very help and attentive, quick check in and check out which is what I needed. The breakfast was fine, with plenty of choice. The hot buffet looked slightly tired and it would have been nice to have a wider choice of fruits, but it was perfectly adequate.

There are some parking spaces on site, however I was not aware of this until I got there, by which time I had parked somewhere else. It would have been a real bonus to have been able to park on site.

For a town centre hotel, the price was pretty much what you would expect.

I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a parking space if you need one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Novotel Reading Centre. I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and would return in the future. I am sorry about the issues with our buffet breakfast and please be assured that I will look into this matter. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillanb - General Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here for one night and was very pleased with the room - Executive Suite had everything we needed and felt like we were staying in a one bedroom flat! So much space :) Bathroom was fantastic - spoilt for choice with a seperate shower and bath. The Staff were fantastic and helpful and very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Carley J

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Novotel Reading. I was delighted to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us and my team looked after you very well. I am pleased to see that you will return in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Reading Centre. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Reviewed 14 January 2014

It simply meets all the needs of a business traveller, comfort, flexibility, location... 2 minutes from the Heathrow-Reading railair link stop, beds very comfortable, and the swimming pool is never overcrowded. The breakfast is quite expensive, but it's very high quality. This is my 5-star place.

Room Tip: Rooms in the top floor... Quite, and nice view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback about your business stays at Novotel Reading, I am delighted to see that not only are we your favourite hotel but you would rate us as 5 star! As a regular traveller your feedback is warmly received and of course I will share this with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back for all your future stays with us and as always if there is anything else we can do to make your stay more comfortable with us, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We make an annual trip to Novotel Reading on the 1st January every year. We have two executive ajoining rooms - one for my partner and one for our two girls aged 12 and 7. The rooms are clean and quite spacious. There are films to watch on demand and free water in the mini bar, there is a coffee machine and kettle with different teas. the bathroom has a bath and a good shower and there is a separate toilet. The leisure centre is also lovely, with a small gym and a decent size pool, steam room and sauna. We splashed around for ages all on our own which the girls loved! the beds were comfortable and it was lovely and warm. The breakfast was suburb, there was even a pancake machine, and even though we turned up 15 minutes before the end of the breakfast end time (10am) all the food was still being refreshed constantly and we were never rushed. The staff are smiley, friendly and helpful. Finally it is literally across the road to all the shops, so great for a bit of shopping too! Can't fault. I hope we can go again next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

I am delighted to read that you and your family once again have enjoyed your annual trip to stay with us at Novotel Reading. It is a pleasure to look after you all. I can imagine the girls really enjoyed the pool and having it all to yourselves must have been wonderful. The location is great to catch all of the fantastic January sales we have at the Oracle. We are really looking forward to welcoming you back next year if not before. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager