“A delightful surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Towcester, United Kingdom
“A delightful surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

As I fought my way through icy rain down to Friar Street, my expectations were minimal. The Novotel was such a pleasant surprise. Smart, even sassy, and very comfortable. The room was clean, stylish and functional with a bath, which was bliss. The bar area was lively and had a good atmosphere. The catering (we were at a business dinner) was superb - really tasty and fresh. And breakfast was good too. The staff were friendly and efficient without being in the least irritating. I shall explore more Novotels......

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JacquiMcMillan, Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay in our lovely hotel and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I am extremely happy about your kind words regarding the team, this will be an encouragement for the future. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Was down in reading for work and my company booked me into this hotel. It's has a great location about 5-10 minutes walk from the train station which was handy but the downside was the hotel was right in the middle of reading and so was pretty noisy at night. I had thought a Monday night would have been quiet but the noise level from the stret kept me awake.

The hotel itself was good, clean rooms, tv, coffee etc, shower was good but toilet was very small. Internet access was ok but you have go pay for faster speeds. Breakfast was good but expensive.

So overall a decent hotel but nothing remarkable hence my 3/5 score

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terrycharleton
Thanks so much for your feedback about your stay at Novotel Reading Centre and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I am sorry that you suffered from the noise in Friar Street, being a city centre hotel we are coping with the occasional party in the street until quite late. If you plan on coming back to Reading please contact me on h5432-rd@accor.com and I will allocate a room at the back of the hotel for you as it is a the quieter side. I look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We booked this hotel due to its closeness to the train station which is just a walk up the road and round the corner. We were upgraded to an Executive room on the 13th floor but had to pay £2.50 for a small bottle of mineral water........the site confirms 24 hour room service but the reality is there are only 2 choices one of which is a curry ( I don't like curry!!) and the second a beef tomato and mozzarella cheese sandwich. As we were a little hungry following a night out, we ordered the sandwich x 2..... A few minutes later received a call to say they only had one left!!!! So still had to pay £3 for the privilege of having it delivered to the room and left being hungry until breakfast. Now 24/7 to me means this should be available 24 hours a day and a little more choice is needed especially if something is not available. I was not impressed........the other issue was we were right next to the lifts so could hear them going up and down all the time! Other than that the staff are very friendly and the room was clean. Location perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I really appreciate you took your time to write your feedback about your stay at Novotel Reading Centre. I am delighted to see that you overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry about the issues with the room service. As I explained you in our previous email we are looking into expanding the selection, and I have adressed the issue about the sandwich to our kitchen team, sorry once again for this. I would love to discuss the matter further with you, and would appreciate if you could contact me on h5432-rd@accor.com I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend. Our room was on the 11th floor overlooking the side of the hotel, which I requested, as I wasn't sure if it might get quite noisy at night, as Friar St is full of bars. We slept with the window open a couple of nights and the noise felt minimal.

We arrived very late, about 11pm as our journey had been delayed by the bad flooding in the area, however check-in was no problem and the staff were very efficient and friendly.

The room itself was a good size and very clean with a nice bathroom with a separate bath and shower. The toilet was separate. The bed was nice and big, my only complaint was that the mattress could be a little thicker to make the bed a bit more luxurious.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as it was quite expensive, instead there are a number of wetherspoons nearby which are open early, I would recommend the Monks Retreat about 2mins walk away.

We did have a cocktail at the bar one evening as there were some offers on, they were lovely!

There is also a pool which is quite small, but good for a bit of a swim. It would be nice if there were a couple more loungers around the pool, there was definitely space. There is also a gym which we didn't use, but looked very modern.

All in all a lovely hotel, I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay at Novotel Reading Centre. I am extremely happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our cocktails, the team is really passionate about cocktails here!.
I do hope we see you again at Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

my husband and I have been to this hotel a few times now and will continue to return. The hotel is a very modern looking hotel with great staff and good rooms. The restaurant and bar are really nice and serve great food and also the most amazing cocktails. There is hotel car park but this is on a first come first served basis however if you can not get a space there you can use the NCP across the road at a discounted price. There is a lovely swimming pool too. We have stayed in both the standard room and the executive rooms and to be honest with you there's really not that much difference other than a large floor space, free WIFI, use of the coffee machine and bathrobes...Oh you can have the contents of the minibar but don't get to excited as it only contains water :0). There really is not too much difference other then the price. We would recommend taking up the breakfast offer as they food is lovely and the staff are really nice to, they take the time to talk about your evening before and seem to remember your face which is really nice also.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I am just delighted to read how much you enjoy coming to stay at Novotel Reading, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. My bar manager was especially pleased to see that you enjoy our delicious cocktails! We are really looking forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Good hotel right in the middle of Reading near all shops and bar's

We upgraded upon arrival to executive room which was big, the deal included wifi, movies, mini bar...for £20 I felt the upgrade was good value

The leisure facilities were good

When we arrived we were asked if we wanted breakfast, we didnt book this on line as it was £16 but upon arrival they offered a half price deal (not sure if they always do this but worth waiting until you get their)

We went to a local restaurant dolce vita about a 10 min walk away. I would strongly recommend it as brilliant food and service

There is one major downside to the hotel. The car park is near enough impossible to find I do a lot of driving and still had to be guided to it from infront of the hotel, due to the one way system you are a mile away and without the patient receptionist I would never have found it.Easy soloution park in gerrard st car park which is easy to find and a two minute walk

Other than that great hotel

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
JacquiMcMillan, General Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback about your stay at Novotel Reading Centre and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I am sorry about the issues with you trying to find the car park. I have tried to get extra signage but this is proving an issue. I am so pleased that you upgraded and felt that this was worth the extra supplement. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Novotel Reading in the future. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager
Blagnac, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I was in Reading for a week and had to find somewhere to stay over and in a hurry and the Novotel was close and convenient being in the Town Centre and close to bus routes, The Mainline Railway Station, Banks, Shops, Bars, Restaurants etc.

Service was efficient and courteous. I did not drink or dine in the hotel, there being plenty of far better and cheaper pubs, restaurants etc nearby. I have no need nor desire for Spas, Gyms, Fitness Centres etc so did not use them.

The room was as expected, clean, comfortable and fit for purpose but as is too often the case in my experience, a bit too low in light intensity and a couple of higher power lamps that could have been switched on when required would be beneficial.

I would say that the Novotel is somewhat clinical and soulless, typical of a large Chain Hotel used mostly by "Suits" on expense accounts, which I am not and have to pay my own way. It served an immediate urgent need for me but I do NOT see me staying there again to be honest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website about your recent stay at Novotel Reading. I am really pleased to read that our location was perfect for your needs but I am sorry you did not experience all the facilities we have. If you are returning to Novotel Reading and you can book in advance, please go to our website where you can get some great promotional rates. Kind regards. Jacqui McMillan - General Manager