“Aircon, what Aircon ?”

Novotel Reading Centre
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very conveniently situated in the centre of Reading. It's not the best and no doubt is not the worst either.

Comfort though is seriously compromised by the inability to cool the rooms. If your expectation is that the rooms are air conditioned then please be aware - they are not!

Even on the lowest setting the room doesn't get chilled and the fan speed adjustment is completely useless. You need to stand on the bed and put your hand against the grill to even know it's operating.

The windows open only a matter of an inch or two and so the only way to get any comfort at all is to ask for fans from the helpful staff.

As the weather gets warmer this hotel will become unbearable and any claims for air conditioning in the rooms is somewhat misleading.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John B
ThibautChappelat, Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

I appreciate you took the time to leave some feedback you gave us with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. It is with a mix of emotions that I read your comments as despite your satisfaction in regards to the service provided, I do realise that you had some challenges during your stay. I understand your comments about the temperature of the rooms, as we have an air cooling system, not air conditioning. However, rest ensured that our Maintenance will look at adjusting the settings in your room right away, I am sorry if this somehow marred your stay. Thank you once again and I do hope you will chose to stay again in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel location is its best advantage, being close to Reading Train Station and also close to the Oracle shopping mall. The hotel has average facilities in the room, pillows are not that comfortable. Breakfast is good but sometimes the place will be crowded and you would have to wait. The best thing in this hotel is the staff, most of them are really helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the feedback you gave us with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. I am delighted to read that you were impressed with the service provided to you by our staff! I will make sure your feedback is shared with the teams as your words are a true source of motivation for them. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you soon in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Room Tip: The above gripes could perhaps have been forgiven if it weren't for the fact the staff were rude...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Novotel is an "old School" hotel where once they have you then you are additional potential revernue.

The hotel itself is OK, nothing to rave about, with very welcoming and efficient staff. However once you have paid for your room you then have to pay for a decent wi-fi connection, when you turn on the TV it entices you to take out a "package" which you have to navigate around in order to watch free to view; a small bottle of no brand water is £2.50, breakfast is an eye watering £16.50 (english breakfast at Claridge's is £17.50!).

The temperature control in the room was particularly poor, I set the thermostat to cool the room around mid afternoon and it was still too hot in the evening. No problem just open the window, BUT if you have a room at the front of the hotel the busses start very early and are loud enough to wake you then you have to close the window.

All is not bad though the beds were comfortable and the shower in the room was good.

I would return for the comfort of the beds but would prefer to spend my time at a hotel where I feel more a guest rather that a revenue stream.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about your recent stay in our hotel. I am very sad to see that your stay did not match your expectations, in particular regarding the the feeling of hassle-free and the temperature. I do take your feedback on board and we will look at ways to improve our service. At Novotel Reading Centre we strive to provide a quality service to all our guest and I would like to apologise if you noticed any shortfalls. Thank you once again and I do hope you will chose to stay again in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as we were doing the "Walking with Wolves" experience and needed to travel closer to the venue.

This is the first time I have stayed at a Novotel hotel, and although I must say I wasn't impressed with reading itself, I did think the hotel was good.

I would certainly search for a Novotel Hotel for my next stay.

Stayed: May 2014
ThibautChappelat, Manager at Novotel Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you so much for the feedback you gave us with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. It seems you had a good time in our hotel and I am very happy to read that. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a great stay at the hotel, and stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was very quiet and clean, and the staff were very friendly. The pool was lovely and very quiet!!
The only negative thing I would say is, we found the hotel but drove along the road where the hotel is and then realised it was only for Taxis and buses and therefore will receive a £30 fine through the post. The car behind obviously did the same and many others. The hotel said most people do it, so £30 plus £20 parking (NCP car park) means an extra £50 on top. I would therefore put Garrard Street into your sat nav to avoid doing what we did and many others!! Garrard Street is where all the parking is for the hotel car park and the NCP. The NCP is cheaper than the hotel, if you don't leave within 24 hours.

Room Tip: We had a room over looking the town which was nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for the feedback you gave us with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. I am really happy you had a pleasant time with us. I totally take your feedback on board in regards to the the directions to our hotel, I am so sorry about that. It is stated on our web site but Reading is very particular with the driving system. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Functional business hotel, but fails to give you a warm comfortable experience. Atmosphere is cold and impersonal starting with the lobby. Breakfast is decent but menu doesnt change - same everyday. Rooms are small and bathrooms are cramped. Decent pool and gym for the hotel size though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the feedback you gave us with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. I am very sad to see that your stay did not match your expectations, in particular regarding the atmosphere and layout of our hotel. I do take your feedback on board and would like to thank you for your very constructive feedback. Thank you once again and I do hope you will chose to stay again in our hotel. Thibaut Chappelat - Guest Services Manager