The Cottage Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stopped here for lunch, pleasant cosy beamed pub although rather cold as radiators weren't on which meant we didn't linger. Unfortunately waited 40 minutes for 2 sandwiches whereas a table of 6 locals were served their hot meals within 15 minutes of ordering! My sandwich was enormous and very generously filled but my husbands baguette which cost £1 more was much smaller with meagre filling. Probably wouldn't visit again. Staff were polite but not particularly friendly.

1  Thank sunnyskyLondon

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Quite a pleasant friendly pub, very much a 'local' rather than a pub you would travel to. The service was pleasant, good and friendly, however the food left much to be desired. My wife had a chicken curry which she said was quite nice but that the naan bread was like a piece of rubber and the onion bargee so overcooked it crispy and unedible. Unfortunately I chose the plaice. Whilst my vegetables were very nice and the new potatoes quite nice the plaice was horrible. Whether it was not fresh or quickly defrosted or just overcooked it was exactly how it should not be. It had a most unpleasant texture.

2  Thank Fredsays169
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Hubby and I are working our way around our new area trying all the local pubs and restaurants
We came here on a Friday night and even though there tables were fully booked they let us have one for one hour before others arrived
Food was fresh and yum
Service was good ambience was just right for a local pub setting

5  Thank S11JJX
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Whilst I'm conscious I was the last person to write a review for this pub, as it's local to us we decided to go back and try their sunday lunch offering.

Pleased to report more of the same, phoned same day to book a table as the restaurant isn't huge (and wanted to avoid disappointment). They service food up to 4pm, but you must be seated by 3:30pm.

Food was good, portions were incredibly generous. You get plenty of everything, and the veg is cooked (not nuked) so you get the sense it's not been sat around under a hot plate for hours. The beef was cooked medium-rare (which suits us) and was generously cut. You get a phenomenal range of veg on your plate so something for everyones tastes!

Price-wise you're looking at under a tenner a head, and there are a choice of roast on offer, plus your usual menu. It was a particularly warm weekend when we visited and there is the option to sit indoors or outdoors.

Service was attentive and swift, so again another ringing endorsement from us. Great pub food at prices you'd happily pay.

5  Thank Warren_Cox
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It seems in recent times that country pubs across the UK have decided that to get more customers through the door (and achieve more profit on dry stock) they need to flounce up their menus with various pithy overused phrases like a drizzle of this, and a compote of that, and if you're really lucky you may get some foam or jus from some mildy exotic ingredient. Very often these so called gastropubs fail to deliver on all sorts of levels, and we've been to places that can't even fry a light crispy batter on a fish which is frustrating when you're paying £12+ for what's considered a fairly simple item off the menu.

So why the long pre-amble? We happened across The Cottage Inn on a trip back from Reading, and it's what we consider to be a rather charming traditional country pub in very sense of the word.

Rural location - tick;
Ample parking - tick;
Uncomplicated hearty menu with good specials menu - tick;
Decent environment - tick;
Pleasant staff - tick;
Family friendly - tick;
Good range of independent ales - tick;
Fair prices - tick.

In a world of wanna be gastropubs The Cottage Inn delivers a wonderful 'traditional' English pub experience and the quality of the food is excellent. We really enjoyed our first visit and although we only had something fairly basic (fish & chips / scampi & chips), the beer batter was crisp and light and the chips were cooked to perfection. It seems odd to be crowing that a restaurant can fry food, but in recent times I can't remember the last decent fish or chip I ate locally as all have had leaden batter or half cooked chips.

If I had the slightest hint of a criticism it was that we were asked after we'd finished our meal if everything was OK. I've commented on this in my reviews before, so it's not uncommon, but to me if you don't ask in the first 5 minutes of someone receiving their meal it's too late!

Other than this tiny oversight we had a brilliant lunch, the staff were cheery and helpful and I'd heartily recommend this pub as a regular place to go. Great work guys, keep it up.

4  Thank Warren_Cox