“Really pleasant stay”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Really pleasant stay”
Reviewed 12 February 2008

I booked a one night stay at the Malmaison Reading as a treat for my husband. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor about the noise generally and I am pleased to say this was not an issue while we were there. The nightclub next door was closed for work to be done on there sound proofing. We found the staff very helpful particularly in the restaurant We had our evening meal there and it was very good I would recommend you book as it is very popular. Our room was very cosy and clean and the lighting was not fantastic but this was not a problem to us as we were not on a buisness visit .
I would reccomend this hotel as it is in a very central location for exploring Reading. It wa smy first visit to a malmaison hotel and I would return the hotel was very clean and new and also had nice lounges to relax in.

• Liked — CLEAN AND CONTEMPARY
  • Disliked — LIGHTING COULD BE BETTER
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OXONJOHN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 5 February 2008

I've stayed here on business 2-3 times in the latter half of 2007 and really enjoyed it. I've always had large, newly refurbished rooms and have not been too bothered by the largely dark decorations and didn't encounter the noise that other reviewers seem to have (perhaps I was lucky ).

I've eaten room service here which was fine and also eaten breakfast which was equally fine (although it's always been deathly quiet when I've been to breakfast).

All in all, I'd recommend it highly against other hotels in Reading that I've stayed in and I've stayed in most if not all of them (i.e. never quite managed to get to the Forbury as it's outside the range of what I'd be able to expense :-))

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Previous reviews criticise its suitablilty for a business hotel - I would agree. However, if you are are looking for a funky, sexy hotel experience, this goes a long way towards realising it.
The bedrooms, whilst on the small side, are well appointed, DVD, swish bathroom etc.. On the downside, they can be a bit dark (e.g. wife stuggled to 'do her hair' in the dim lighting - disaster for husband!!)
One criticism is that it is difficult to get away from outside noise as it is located next to Reading railway station and many bars. We've asked for quiet rooms on both occassions that we have stayed there with mixed results.
Good friendly staff - interesting restaurant - comfortable (but expensive) bar.
Our visit has encouraged to try other Malmaisons...

• Liked — its different from your normal town centre hotel
  • Disliked — no escape from 'moody' in the bedrooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 7 January 2008

The hotel is dark, dark, and dark. Black and brown walls; scant lighting, "mood" candles everywhere. The atmosphere is very much a romantic getaway and quite inappropriate to a business traveler.

My room was small, even darker than the hallway, and work table so cluttered with signs (more about that later), bric a brac, and overpriced bottles of wine, there was scant room for a laptop.

The room had two, small lights in the ceiling a dim lamp on the far side of the bed--no light at all over the work desk. Oddly, the bathroom, while still dim, was more lit than the room. Finding the single outlet in the room involved using my Blackberry as a torch and crawling under the desk and then moving furniture to get to it.

When I first arrived, I reported that the phone did not work, the light in the closet was out, and the shower drain backed up in use. The manager came up the next day and fixed the phone, removed a sodden mass of hair and filth from the shower drain, and told me that the electrician would see to the closet light. As I now prepare to check out several days later, the light is still not working.

Eating at the hotel is wildly overpriced. A continental breakfast along with two boiled eggs set me back almost 14 pounds.

Lastly, the signs. Everywhere in the room, there were cute little hang tags with witty sayings and advice. After the first three or four, they were no longer cute. Get rid of them.

In summary, I will not stay here again and was hugely disappointed in the property.

• Liked — Close to Apex Plaza
  • Disliked — Too dark
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
Bucks
Reviewed 2 November 2007

In an nutshell; There are far better Malmaisons that are not small and pokey and do not have a booming bass which reverberates through your matress until 2 in the morning.
I would also not particularly recommend the restaurant which serves "the homegrown and local menu" , which has ingredients that may have been purchased near Reading but have certainly never grown there - unless Crab and Salmon are native to the Thames? However I can understand that writing "Farmed Reading Fish" on a menu doesnt doesnt quite fit the Malmaison marketing ploy...........

I like Malmaison chains and I think they can provide value for money (if you get a good internet deal) but in this case the cost of earphones and the lack of anything else except a well decorated hotel is simply not worth getting off the M4 for.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Leeds
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Stayed at other Malmaisons and they have been great. Nice decor and good feel to these places. However....

The Reading one on the surface looked good, but how wrong I was - they have bought a property right next door to a noisy nightclub - thump, thump, thump for half the night - Ok if you're out half the night and pissed, but if you're looking for a nice night forget it. I imagine it affects the room at the back of the hotel os be warned.

Also the restaurant could get me a table even though I was a resident - lots of free tables apparently reserved. Only when I suggestted I go round the corner to the Novotel, they found me one of the 'empty' tables !!

Take my advice and go to the Novotel - its the best hotel in central Reading.

• Liked — Great decor, close to station
  • Disliked — Noise from night club next door
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank THIMS
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Malmaison in room 222.
Had booked on line and cheekily asked for a large room or upgrade as it was our wedding anniversary. Sadly they were full so that wasn't possible but in hindsight our back of hotel room with absolutely no view was probably the best option as it was very quiet.
The room was clean, the bed was amazingly comfortable - the food from room service was fantastic and the aircon was very efficient.
The bathroom was unusual - at the opposite end of the room from the bed, along a corridor and up a small curved staircase. It had no door which was slightly strange because although you couldn't see into the bathroom from the bedroom, you could still hear what was going on in there!
Usual bath products - great as were the bath and shower. All nicely fitted out with slate tiles. Husband had the usual gripe about Malmaison bathrooms - not enough lighting and no shaving mirror.
There was a very well lit mirror in the bedroom which was good for applying make up but not the best location for a wet shave!
Staff were generally friendly and helpful (despite not giving us the upgrade!). Our key card stopped working on the second day and this was rectified very quickly. We only recieved a newspaper on 2 of the 4 days, but as we had news on the TV and internet access we chose not to mention it. to be honest, I would imagine a fellow guest may have "borrowed" it!
Would stay at the hotel again but probably won't as Reading wasn't the most exciting place I have visited in the UK It is great for shopping but we were there for a relaxing break, which we did get!!

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — The view
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple